“Great hotel at a great price in a great part of San Pedro!”
Review of Blue Tang Inn

Blue Tang Inn
Ranked #1 of 21 San Pedro B&B and Inns
Orange County, California
“Great hotel at a great price in a great part of San Pedro!”
Reviewed September 1, 2012

I just completed an 11-night stay at the Blue Tang and had a wonderful time. This was my second stay at the resort. I’m going to put a lot of info into this review because there are so many different kinds of accommodations in Belize. What one person likes, another won’t and vice versa.

First, when making a reservation, I suggest e-mailing them and asking them if there are any promotions before using the reservation engine on their web site. When I e-mailed them, I received a response telling me about a promotion code to use on the web site that saved me 20%. Also, the web site does not let you check the availability of specific rooms. If you want a specific room, you will need to request it. I made the reservation using the web site and then received a call from Kristin asking me which specific room I wanted. Based on what she said, I opted for room 12. The staff offered to book my in-country transfer and told me a cab would be waiting for me at the San Pedro Airport. They will also be glad to put some items in your refrigerator and charge them to your room as well. Communication from the Blue Tang was fantastic.

I made it to Belize City a little bit late and then connected to San Pedro. The cab driver was waiting for me as promised. He knew that my flight into Belize City was a little late and waited. In less than five minutes we arrived at the Blue Tang Inn. Allan Lima was waiting to greet me and arranged for my bags to be taken to my room.

As I said, I chose room 12, a third floor room that faces the ocean. The room was rectangular with an enclosed bathroom in one corner, a kitchen against one wall, and a living/dining area.

The kitchen included a full size refrigerator, coffee maker, blender, electric range with oven, and a microwave. There were plenty of plates, glasses, utensils, and cutlery. There was a bottle of dish soap, salt & pepper, and napkins. However, you should assume that you will need to purchase supplies if you want to cook. There are two reasonable markets up the side road (Richie’s and Caye Mart) and one a few minutes further away (Super Buy) not to mention all the little stores. Purified water is available from dispensers on each floor so you do not need to be concerned with buying water. The staff had placed a pitcher of water in the
refrigerator so I’d have something chilled upon my arrival.

There were two double beds. The mattress was extremely comfortable. I had no problem sleeping. The bedding also included a lightweight quilt. Also, there was a futon/couch in the living room area that was very comfortable as well. I took a nap on that a few times. The bathroom came with soap and shampoo as well as a full assortment of towels. My room also had a Jacuzzi tub which was nice for a little relaxation.

The room was equipped with a split-unit air conditioner. The unit was fairly quiet. I had no problems sleeping. The staff had turned it on before I arrived but it took around a day to fully cool the room due to the humidity. I did not turn off the A/C during my entire visit. Belize is often very humid. There were also two ceiling fans.

Electricity is the same as in the US (120V/60Hz). All outlets were three-prong. Wireless internet access was free. The internet speed was quite fast, especially at night. There were only a few periods in the day when it was slow. I was able to watch a YouTube video without any problems. There was also a 32 inch TV mounted near the ceiling with cable. I didn’t watch much TV but it was nice to be able to watch the news. Please note that TV is not included in all rooms and is optional.

The room was also equipped with a small electronic safe. For whatever reason, it was not mounted to the cabinet. I took it out and put it on the bed a few times to access it more easily. I did not have a ruler, but was able to insert an 8.5x11 inch piece of paper into the safe diagonally and set it down. I had no problems inserting my subnotebook (MSI 110) into the safe. I don’t think it could hold a laptop much larger than that.

Blue Tang provides a complimentary continental breakfast each day on the ground level from 7 to 10am. There was one hot item (pancakes, self-made waffles, or fry jacks) along with bread, peanut butter, and jam. Coffee and juice were also available. It’s nice to have that convenience when you are going diving. If you want a larger breakfast, there are many delis that offer things like scrambled eggs and bacon.

Maid service is offered daily. Blue Tang does follow the common environmentally-sensitive guidelines regarding towel exchanges. If you want the towels changed, leave them on the floor. If not, hang them up. Also, if you hang the “Do not Disturb” sign on your outside doorknob, the maid will stay out of your room. I like that because I don’t necessarily want someone in my room every day.

The pool was on the smaller side but it was quite comfortable for quickly cooling off or for reading a book or for relaxing during breakfast. The beach area out front has some sandy areas but there is a lot of turtle grass. From what I was told, it’s standard to leave the turtle grass in place since it plays a role in the local ecology. There is also a rooftop deck that offers views of the Caribbean and the city.

The location of the hotel for me is ideal. It is in the northern part of the downtown area. It is far enough away from the core of the nightlife but only a 5-10 minute walk from all the restaurants in the center of town. There is one major bar nearby (Wet Willie’s) but I barely heard it and had no problem sleeping because of it.

There are at least two dive shops within a five minute walk (Chuck & Robbie’s and Ecologic Divers). There is also a dock next door at Paradise Villas where you can get picked up for tours.

In terms of hotel security in general, there were always people around during the day. The office closes at 5pm and there is a caretaker on site until 8pm. A nighttime guard is on duty until 6am after which the morning staff arrives. At no point did I feel uncomfortable.

I have a few comments about the architecture of the hotel. The rooms are on three floors and are laid out in a “U” shape with the opening of the “U” facing the Caribbean. Although your room may have an ocean view, you should not assume that you will be able to wake up in the morning and see the ocean. This has to do with two things: the positioning of the furniture and the nature of the balconies. In my room the beds were placed against the front wall which faced the ocean. The only place from which I could see the ocean while sitting was in the dining area. It wasn’t a big deal to me since I was there to dive and would be in the ocean most days. In terms of the balconies, even if your room is described as having a private balcony, it is not truly private. All of the balconies connect to the main walkways on each floor so there is nothing that prevents someone from walking on to your “private” balcony. The balcony is “private” in the sense that it is meant for your exclusive use, but again anyone can access it. You really couldn’t leave the curtains open at night since anyone could walk by and peer in.

The staff members at this hotel are fantastic. Everyone was super helpful. Allan and Fanny at the front desk are very resourceful. The housecleaning and maintenance teams are very polite. I had a blast watching one of the guys climb a ladder to get some coconuts.

Overall, I love this hotel. The price is great. The location is great. The staff members are great. I will definitely consider staying there again.

Room Tip: Rooms 10 & 15 on the third floor and rooms 5 and 9 on the second floor are the in the front of t...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
8 Thank ElGringoViajero
BzeMermaid, Director of Sales at Blue Tang Inn, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Thank you so much for the your time to complete this extremely detailed and helpful review of our hotel. Wow. That was awesome! I agree with all you said and am so pleased with how positive your experience at Blue Tang Inn was for 11 nights!
We look forward to having you stay with us again. Please feel free to refer family and friends to us by emailing info@bluetanginn.com or calling Kristin at 1-866-881-1020.

Thanks again for this great review. I'm sure other travelers will find it very helpful.

-Kristin Lamoureux & Entire Blue Tang Inn staff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Loved it!!!!! Great location, we were upgraded to room 10, absolutely gorgeous. The view to die for, service phenomenal. We could not have asked for better, Wet Willy's Steakhouse - with great and friendly owners, the best food on the island and good entertainment right in front of the hotel. Walking distance to grocery store and to town. Spend the night at Fido's or Wet Willy's and short walk to your room. We were there during Hurricane Ernesto and since we only stayed 3 nights to spend the rest of the vacation at house we rented, which we abandoned due to the hurricane, the Blue Tang would have taken us back, but they only had a generator for water. We went to a different hotel. In hindsight we should have stayed at the Blue Tang. Thank you for a great stay.

Room Tip: Room 10 definitely!!!!!!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Was a problem with the first night of our Expedia booking, and when we got to Blue Tang, they informed us, booked us a similar place at the same rate, and drove all of our things over for us. Fantastic service. We were happy to return to Blue Tang for the rest of our stay. The staff were incredibly friendly, more than accommodating. Great to have a sitting area and kitchen. Even better to be right on the beach, but also have the option of lying by the secluded pool. Great location, very easy to get around.Would go back again!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Temple, Texas
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Spent a week with my son visiting Ambergris Caye. The Blue Tang is on the beach, close to restaurants, bars and water recreation. We were connected with Chuck and Robbie's diving and had a marvelous time. The dock is ~100 yards from the hotel making diving very easy.
The room was spacious with a small kitchen, air conditioning and comfortable meeds. We made us of the continental breakfast every morning. The folks at the front desk were helpful in arranging a zip line/cave tubing trip.
We had a wonderful time and will be going back to stay at the Blue Tang

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Minneapolis
Reviewed August 5, 2012

I ended up at the Blue Tang Inn because I tagged along with my husband who was going there on business. I work remotely, and so instead of taking vacation, I worked from the room while my husband was off taking care of business. I heard the wifi around the hotel was spotty for a few other guests, but I was in room number 5 and I would rate it as stellar. I worked from 5am - 1:30pm-ish Belize time, and my vpn connection was not interrupted once. I did notice that later in the afternoon it seemed like there was less availability, but it was never a problem for me.

The hotel is very cute and charming and the rooms are very spacious and clean. The grounds are meticulously cared for, and the whole property is just lovely. There was a modest continental breakfast every day (coffee, fruit, toast/pancakes, etc) and all the staff was very friendly and helpful. The laundry service was super quick (got my clothes back the same day), affordable and they did a good job, too.

The location of the hotel is pretty much perfect. It's one block away from a grocery store that also sells liquor (allowing you to make your own cocktails and also take advantage of the full kitchen in the room) and it's an easy walk to pretty much everywhere; water taxi station, Elvi's, Fido's, Wild Mango, The Secret Deli, etc. There is a small beach and a nice pier immediately in front of the hotel. I rented snorkeling gear from the front desk (6$usd/day) and just snorkeled around the dock and there were tons of fish and things to see, although you do have to watch out that you don't accidentally get into the area where the boats drive through, as I doubt they would be able to see you.

Two things that you must do: If you're an early bird, head up to the deck above the third story and watch one of the most beautiful sunrises you will ever be likely to see. And, if you get a flyer under your door that says that Dave is taking a half day sailing/snorkeling trip - you take that trip. It's only $35usd/person and it was awesome! Dave is funny and nice and loves to talk about food and where all the good stuff on the island is. We got a really cool trip around the reef and then to shark/ray ally were we hung out with the rays and the nurse sharks. Clearly the sharks and rays like Dave, too, because as we left for the day I looked behind the boat and they were all following us!

Room Tip: If you need good wifi during the day - like vpn access and conducting webex meetings - ask for room...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DONA C
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed July 21, 2012

My boyfriend had been to Belize previously for a mission trip. Two years or so later in a relatively spontaneous decision we decided to go to Belize! I found the Blue Tang Inn recommended by The Lonely Planet travel guide and it was not wrong! The beachside accomodations came with impressive views! The morning breakfast was always delicious and I just can't say enough about homemade tortillas which one of the hotel's staff made for us. The staff was extremely friendly and aided in all of our travel adventures. And the staff introduced us to some of the local gay community and we've made friends for life! If you are planning a trip to Belize and select Ambergris Caye then please select the Blue Tang Inn. You will not go wrong!

Now, the staff was extremely helpful with all of the excursions. If I may, let me list some you may find of value:
* Use Vitalino's services for ziplining and cave tubing. Find him at: http://cavetubing.bz/.
* For a one day trip of Mayan ruins have the hotel book you a trip to Lamanai.
* Spend some time at Hol Chan Marine Park & Shark Ray Alley

And my final note - eat all the fresh seafood that you can! Their lobsters are incredible!

***NOTE - Due to the time of my writing this review TripAdvisor will not allow me to select the correct date. Out trip was actually in July 2010. ***

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank I_Am_Tony_1975
Elizabeth City, North Carolina
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Just returned from another great time at The Blue Tang Inn in San Pedro, Belize. Fanny and Allan and the whole staff are tremendous in accomodating in every way possible. Even if they have no vacancies, they'll work to find quality options for you, if YOU are a patient traveler. 5 stars and many thanks again Fanny, Allan!

Room Tip: Be Flexible!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family