“excellent staff n service”

Corona del Mar Hotel & Apartments
Ranked #5 of 21 San Pedro B&B and Inns
Portland
“excellent staff n service”
Reviewed January 6, 2010

We stayed in this hotel for 12 days. The locations is very nice, right on the ocean. However the best part of the hotel is their staff and their service. We can't wait to go back n stay with them.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank MyBombay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Texas
Reviewed June 24, 2009

Any one who stays at Corona del Mar will tell you about the staff, they are one of the hotel's major assets! Not only do they make you feel like family, they will answer any question or give you any assistance that you might needl

When you check in you are immediately offered a delicious rum punch "free". (By the way, this punch is available to you all day long!) We always stay in one of the apartments with a kitchen, living/dining room, and separate bedroom. The beach is right outside our door and the view of the ocean is beautiful.

We like to stay close to the downtown area, but not too close. Corona del Mar meets this requirement since it is a short walk down the beach to town. A wonderful restaurant is across the street (George's Kitchen), the resort next door provides more food and a bar, plus music and dancing if you are in the mood.

Oh, I forgot, each morning a continental breakfast is provided free of charge and fresh drinking water is brought to your room each day.

The apartment we usually rent has a 1960's feel and I love it. We have been in one of the upstairs rooms and they have a much more modern feel, if that is your thing. They are well decorated with lots of room to move around. The best thing is the french doors that open to the balcony and the great view of the palm trees and the beautiful water and reef.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank bruceandbecky
kmw1980
Reviewed June 13, 2009

We picked Corona Del Mar because of the wonderful reviews. It is true that the service and location is great, but the hotel needs work. The bed was creaky and uncomfortable, the room had ants, and we had no hot water. Also, the hotel next door, Coconuts, played loud music from 8pm till midnight. If the staff wasn't so friendly, we would have moved to another hotel.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Fontainebleau, France
Reviewed May 19, 2009

Imagine... You arrive from the plane or the boat and are checking in for your room. You find there a very kind & deticated team and while filling your check in form, you are offered a free rum punch.

Pitcure this... You receive your key, get in your room, go on the balcony and have a glance at the paradise view of the sea and palm tree. Third floor was great.

Need something... You need to book a diving tour, a plane ticket, a restaurant, a taxi, no problem as you always will have a member of the hotel team that will help you to do so.

Wireless geeks... You cannot loose connection to the web, well you will have Wifi access from the lobby couches or terrasse to toe in your laptop or iphone.

The hotel is just a little south of downtown and a 10 minute walk on the beach from there.

Your back is so sour, you have an arm problem, ... then just cross the street and have an heeling chinese massage from the well reknown Master Lee.

You need a snack, ... then again, just cross the street and you have George's kitchen: shrimp enchiladas, fish sandwich, water melon fresh juice, ...

Oh! did I tell you... the free rum punch is there all day long. A bottle of purified water is always waiting for you in the fridge of your room.

Thanks to Mar, Leroi, Gilbert, Frank et al for the wonderful time.

Stéphane

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Scubastef77
Global
Reviewed May 11, 2009

I booked this place based on TripAdvisor, but was not impressed. Not sure how this place is #3 at present in the rankings. Its a family run hotel that is quite no frills. So, if you get a deal, like we did, it might be OK. Otherwise, look elsewhere.

The bed was super-creaky, though OK to sleep on. I was afraid to move about on the bed much though as the neighbors might wake up (it was that loud).

The tub would not drain properly. This may be a problem with the poor plumbing of the island - who knows.

The breakfast was really no frills and the advertised breakfast is not always available. Only coffee - no tea or juice. The eggs would show up around 9am some days.

The TV was old and fuzzy.

Quite a ways from town (15 mins. in the hot sun) if you plan on walking.

The hotel next door has nightly bands that are really loud and annoying.

Otherwise, the place was fine. The people are really nice - especially Frank. You can rent bikes from him much cheaper than elsewhere. They have free WiFi. The beach is literally at your doorstep.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank thebigad
Reno, NV
Reviewed May 8, 2009

We stayed here in May of 2008 and could not have been happier. The staff was alwas extremely helpful and went out of there way to greet you any time you passed by. We stayed on the second floor. our room had a living/dining area, a kitchen, and a bedroom with two beds. The staff brought in purified water every day to put in our fridge. The breakfast that consisted of fresh fruit, boiled eggs, really good cinamon toast, or plain toast, coffee, and juice was actually very good and we did not mind eating the same thing every day. We also liked the rum punch they had every day. We would definetly stay here again.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank divanahalf
New York
Reviewed April 24, 2009

My husband and I just returned from a 7 nights stay at Corona del Mar, we stayed in room 307 (3rd floor). The room was a regular size hotel room, spacious enough to move around freely without bumping into the bed or your luggage, very clean, snow-white linens and towels, nice white rattan furniture, clean and brand new mini-fridge and an electronic safe, ceiling fan, dead quiet AC and cable TV. My only complaint is that the bed was incredibly uncomfortable, a very old mattress, we could feel the coil pushing through. If they get a new bed in there, this room would be perfect! The best thing about this room is the view! We had a big balcony with big French doors. Just open the doors to the balcony and the Caribbean Sea comes right to your bed! We could see the barrier reef lying on bed! Unfortunately, I don't have any photos to show you because I got robbed in Ambergris, not at the hotel, thankfully. The mugger took my brand new digital Canon camera and few Belizean dollars that were inside the camera case. Luckily I didn't get hurt and luckily I had just taken out the hotel keys and golf cart keys from the camera case -just minutes before it happened!

The incident occurred at around 11:30pm - 12am at the beginning of Front Street, there is a passage between the school and the Sun Breeze Hotel, it has bright lights, it is not a dark alley! We were coming back from a place called Wet Willies on the beach, my husband and I got separated for about a minute, when a tall man in a bicycle came from behind me and snatch my camera. I had the camera across my shoulders, luckily the camera strap broke easily so I didn't get hurt, I say luckily because otherwise I would probably have a cut or a nasty bruise around my neck or there would have been a struggle in which case God only knows what would have happened to me. I am also thankful that he just wanted my camera and nothing else…
Stupidly, I run after the assailant screaming for people to stop him, a man in a taxi gave chase, but the criminal cut through the airport field and simply vanished into the dark. A police pickup truck showed up about 20 minutes later (despite the fact that the police station is about 15 minutes on foot), they took down my statement and left. The next day I went to the police station to get a report for insurance purposes, but there was no record of the incident, no one at the station had any information about the case. To make the story short, after an "officer" wrote down, by hand, all the information again, I asked for a copy of the report, he told me "you have to apply for one, it cost $12", so I say OK, fine, he says "it will take a couple of days", I explained that I was leaving that same afternoon and I asked him again if he could just give me a photocopy of the "informal report", to wish he said that he needed to go to my hotel and search my room, I asked why? The incident didn't happen in the hotel. To this I got no reply, so I left, I have travelled extensively around Latin America (I am Latin-American myself), and I know VERY WELL how things work with the so called “police force”, and I was not going to give this so called "police officer" any money (bribery), I was not going to be robbed twice in Belize!

When I told the hotel staff and also the person from the golf cart company what had happen, sadly their reply was “oh yes, this happens all the time, just last week a tourist was robbed in front of the Yacht Club and another one near Ramon’s Village”. An airport employee also told us that “two weeks ago another tourist was stabbed and robbed at the same place where you got mugged. The police did nothing about it”.

Bottom line, be VERY careful in Ambergris, if you get mugged, don't bother going to the police, they are useless, to say the least!

I visited Ambergris for the first time in 2002, and I can tell you that the Ambergris of today is not the same from back then. Things have changed; there is much crime, in many cases violent. Read through the reviews here in TripAdvisor, and you will see that my case was not an isolated one.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple