“Paradise” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #20 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
Los Angeles, California
“Paradise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2012

This was my first trip to Belize; I went down for a small family reunion and we couldn't have picked a better place. Overall, I feel this hotel is the best deal on the island; affordable, beatiful beach, great views, 20 minute walk to downtown, complimentary bicycles, and tons of shade if you want it.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
Salt Lake City, Utah
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2012

Everything was good (owners very friendly, maid service very good, quick free transfers from and to the San Pedro airstrip, well maintained grounds), except for these few things:

1. Noise not from our AC, but from the next door unit's AC: the window facing our next door unit's wall AC did not have glass, just shutters, which meant a lot deal of noise coming from our neighbors' AC unit. The worst part of this is that you could not control the noise because it was not your AC.

2. Breakfast: I felt this was a little switch and bait. Went the first morning to the bar and the guy there said they were no longer doing free breakfast. Later on we stopped by the office and inquired about this. The guy in the office talked to the guy at the bar on the phone and in the end said they needed to get food for breakfast from town. I said ok, left and did not attempt to go to breakfast on any other day. We tried to focus on the positive aspects of this vacation.

3. Lack of private or semi-private balcony space: our unit only had a very small and very public space outside with two plastic chairs and one table that barely fit in the space. Just like others said, you could get the ocean view only if you opened the door and went outside.

4. Bathroom needs updating really badly. See attached picture of the shower.

5. Beach cleaning: there was only one guy cleaning the beach and it looked like it was a full-time job. At the end of the day, there was sea weed still left on the beach. We incidentally went to another resort towards the south of the island for lunch one day, and their beach was totally clean, so I know this is not mission impossible.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank m124124
Greenville MI.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2012

Randy Engelsman

Well yesterday was Sunday at the Villas Palpa bar, The Catamaran, BBQ and Jr Sailers, oh yes and us young at hart, had a go at it on the Hoby Cats (Sue and I lost first round) What a day Lunch a beer or two and you just can't be part of the Jr Sailers Club without having fun.
San Pedro Belize and the Villas you just can't beat that for Vacation.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Windsor, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2012

We did much research on where to stay and were very happy with our choice. Loved the close proximity to town and made our week so much easier being close to town. A leisurely 15 minute walk along the beach and you were in the heart of life in San Pedro. We stayed in room 3 which gave us some room to move about but wasn't overly large. Rooms were kept clean by the daily maid service. Bedroom was secluded and led to a very ample sized bathroom. Two downsides....the refrigerator made alot of noise and the air conditioner was a bit noisy but nothing that ear plugs couldn't take care of.
The grounds of the resort were nice but not spectacular. Beach was nice but not your type of pristine white sand beach that you would find throughout the Caribbean. It was raked daily to clear it of the seagrass. Pool was kept very clean. They have hot tubs that I didn't venture into but heard people talking that they were too hot. I didn't see them being used often.
The Catamaran Beach Bar is a perfect compliment to the resort. It was a common gathering place for resort guests and people just walking by. They served up a yummy lunch as well as a good dinner. Pricing was inline with anywhere else on the island. I was a bit disappointed in the breakfast that I ordered the last morning we were there.
One of the best things about Caribbean Villas were the staff. Luis and Tony in the Catamaran Bar were very friendly and very easy to strike up a conversation with. Don't know the 2 girls names that take care of the food at the bar but they were also very friendly. Anyone I dealt with at the front desk (Gladys and Tony (I think)) were very friendly and helpful with any of our needs to making dinner reservations at Aji Restaurant and just helping with any questions that we had.
Overall I loved the place. It is not your lay on the beach, show up for dinner and be waited on hand and foot type of place but rather a smaller mostly do it your self type of place. If that is what you are looking for and you are going to Ambergris Caye then I definately would stay here.

Room Tip: Room 3 was steps from the beach bar and a ground floor unit. It was close to the action. If you want...
2 Thank tedly1960
Castro Valley, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2012

This hotel is reasonably priced and the rooms were clean. We stayed in room 9 and my only complaint was the bathroom was extremely small. Went with other friends and feel the best room was room 3 of the 4 rooms we had in our group. People are very friendly on the island and snorkeling was 2nd best to Honduras and St. Lucia. I would recommend this location but take your bug spray for sand fleas and mosquitoes.

Room Tip: Room 3 seemed to be largest bathroom and good view of ocean but on level ground.
Windsor, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2012

Visited for a week with friends. We stayed in room 2, one of the smallest available, with no complaints except for a fridge that was noisy when it started and stopped. The rooms were clean and well maintained by daily maid service. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful.
Friends that stayed in some of the larger rooms had no complaints that I remember except for a fridge that wasn't cold enough and was attended to in a timely manner after being reported.
This is a small, intimate resort for those looking for a layed back tropic atmosphere. The amenities are not numerous but the services promised are provided. If I returned I would definitely stay at Caribbean Villas again.

Room Tip: Depends on size required. My wife and I stayed in room 2, one of the smallest available. It met ou...
2 Thank Walt D
San Diego, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2012

Overall- great location, the bar staff are exceptional, very friendly and helpful. The maid, Maria, assigned to our building is very courteous and does a great job of keeping the rooms clean. Louis, bar tender, was exceptional. She even placed fresh flowers in a vase for us. The grounds, pool and hot tub well-maintained.A nice dock with a covered area and swimiming area at the end, makes a nice place to catch a breeze, read or take a nap. A short 10 minute walk to downtown, The owners are from the UK, very friendly and came around a couple times to talk with the guests. The beds were comfortable, good water pressure for showers. Maintanence staff quick to respond to complaints.

Not so good-- The building is older and starting to see some wear. We rented 5 units, the refrigerator in 2 units required service and weren't cooling properly. The window air condition units are old and make a lot noise. The wooden shutters covering the windows are either very difficult to open or don't open at all. Kitchen utensils, cookware, and serving items very limited. I food is just average, I recommend trying one of the other restaurants in the area. Breakfast is a drink, sticky roll and three very small slices of fruit- same everyday.

My disappointment- I made my reservartion 6 months in advance and requested the Oceanview one bedroom studio. I don't care how management wants to spin it, this is an inaccurate description. My room was a large dark closet. The only ocean view was if you opened the front door, look down entry hall below the stairs, across the lawn, over the raised pool deck and up through the trees- and then you could get a glimplse of blue. I commented to the front desk that I had requested an oceanview room and he blankly looked at me and stated, "this is an ocean view room, and what you reserved." The rooom had 3 windows with wooden shutters, only one that would open part way. All windows faced out to the back garden- not the ocean. The only light came from the ceilng light or bedside lamps. I never did figure out how to turn off or adjust the fan speed, so it ran constantly. The other oceanview rooms that I saw had large windows that looked out toward the ocean. I still had a great time and vacation, wish management would be more honest with their description of the rooms.

Room Tip: Avoid Ocean View Studio #12- misleading, more like a large closet with no windows that work. bottom...
1 Thank LGoehle