“Resort in a great location but with profoundly mediocre service”

Ramon's Village Resort
Ranked #13 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed February 23, 2010

My husband, 7-year-old son and I just returned from a vacation in Belize and our stop at Ramon's was definitely "meh." The facilities are good -- they're right on the beach, great location -- but the service was middling at best. I will give props to the dining room wait staff, who were very courteous and conscientious, but the rest of the resort staff were not the slightest bit interested the guests. This was most evident at the dive shop, where the guy took a cell phone call in the middle of getting my family our snorkeling gear and disappeared before I could get my son a life jacket. Um, pretty important. Within the first five minutes of arriving, we were given a litany of things that we'd have to pay for if we strayed out of bounds: We had to sign for our beach towels (at a beach resort, are you kidding?!?!), 1 per person per day; if we lost one, we had to pay for it. We could use the safe depost box but if we lost the key, it was $100. We could use the free WiFi in the lobby but if we wanted a username/password for our room, we had to pay. Breakfast was included but it was only one plate per person. If we wanted something extra, we had to pay. You get the idea. Sheesh. Also, our travel agent had arranged a golf cart for us from Carts Belize. The front desk clerk didn't know anything about it so instead of calling the cart company, he dialed the number and then just handed me the telephone. The food is very expensive and not great, so I don't recommend eating there except for breakfast, which was fine and included in the price of our room. Here are a few good suggestions for places in town though: Elvi's Kitchen (really good fish in town); Jambel Jerk Pit (Jamaican food down the beach, upstairs from Big Daddy's. Really friendly and spicy but not too hot); Wild Mangoes (just a little ways down the beach from Ramon's and excellent food; the chef there is really talented). Ramon's is OK if you want a decent room on the beach and a resort w/a pool; but I would not stay there if you're looking for top notch service

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank MegBedfordMA

Reviewed February 15, 2010

My husband & I stayed at Ramon's Village Resort for two weeks. The main reason for the trip to Belize was for our wedding. The staff went above & beyound for us & our guests. Everything was at ease, when it came to the wedding planning/reception/food/ rooms & guests. it's like they new excatly what I wanted. All I can say is this place is worth staying at. I can not think of one negative thing, the beach was beautiful, food was excellent, rooms beautiful & comfy beds big bonus. The staff is what makes this place such a "Wonderful Experience"... they treat you like family... So if you looking for that special place to go with your family this is it....

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Vendelacanada
Reviewed January 27, 2010

I think a good way to describe this place is tropical simplicity. Its style is not over-the-top, lap-of-luxury, but it's kept very clean and comfortable. The thatch-hut cabanas are cute and very inviting. We were always happy to come home to ours after a long day of diving and exploring. When we woke up in the mornings we were just 20, small, flip-flop steps away from the beach. The service is friendly and professional but also with a laid-back feel. It seemed like everyone working there (from the waiters to the dive staff) was in a good mood and genuinely happy to be there. My husband and I stayed here with another couple we're friends with. On their second day of the trip the front desk called our friends to tell them they were going to be doing some minor construction outside their cabana, so the desk immediately upgraded them for free to the Honeymoon suite. This suite was definitely a step up from the regular cabanas, as it was more spacious, with a bar area, their own personal hammock and right on the beach. We took advantage of our friends' wrap-around deck on their cabana several times to drink & play cards while listening to the waves lap the shore. Beautiful!
The other fantastic thing about Ramon's is its location. San Pedro isn't a huge place, but it seemed like Ramon's was right smack in the middle of town because it was a five minute walk from there to basically anywhere. When we walked up the beach we noticed another hotel that looked a little swankier than Ramons, but it had no beach at all! Another friend of ours stayed at Xanadu, but we hardly ever saw him because his hotel was much farther removed from the heart of town. Anytime he wanted to meet up with us, he had to take a taxi.
Also, if you are a diver, Ramon's is great because their dive shop is right on the premises. It's run very professionally (it was the first dive shop I've been to that actually asked to see my PADI card before they issued us equipment) and it was SO convenient to just walk out our cabana door in the mornings, walk through the beach and onto the dive pier. I felt sorry for the other divers that had to wake up earlier so they could take taxis to the dive shop. A lot of the other tours (to Lamanai ruins, Blue Hole and cave tubing) also leave from the dive shop dock.
The diving in Ambergris Caye is wonderful. There are dozens of different dive spots with great sea-life and the reef looks very healthy. I saw my first-ever Spotted eagle ray on one of the dives! Overall, it was a very pleasant, relaxing and fun experience. I will definitely recommend Ramon's to anyone else planning to travel to Belize.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank SashaDean
Reviewed January 2, 2010

Ramons village is a fantastic little set up with about 50 rooms. The village is fairly quaint and small, with a full service restaraunt, bar, gift shop, dive shop, pool and a small beach. The location is perfect to the diving spots and all were less than 10 minutes by boat. The down town area is only a few minutes walk.

The rooms: are small but with enough room for what you need to do. I stayed in rooms 2 and 10 while there. Rooms were about the same size. Room 2 has a porch like area, alarm clock, and a view of the ocean. While casa 10 was the same size but next to the main road and airport. The rooms were well maintained, air conditioned and had hot water.

The service: we had one problem with the air condition, needed to book return flights home, exchange towels regularly, book some reservations, had meals at the restaruant, drinks at the bar, dove at the dive shop and all service was fantastic.

The food: you pay for your food but the food was great. Exactly as advertised, flavorful and timely.

The bar: The service was good and the drinks were cold.

The beach: is clean, provided beach chairs, a few hammocks and well maintained.

The dive shop: was great, did my open water certification there and they were wonderful. Also went snorkeling and the boats, the crew, the gear were all in good shape and an enjoyable activity.

The cost: it was a little more than other locations for about all elements. However the environment that was offered made the extra cost a little more acceptable.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 2, 2010

Ramon's location is perfect to walk anywhere in town, the beach is terrific and the grounds are beautiful. Breakfast at the onsite restaurant was wonderful. All of the staff are great, the bartenders, waiters and especially the dive crew. Gil, our divemaster, was great - laid back and accomodating. Thank you, Anthony, for helping me in and out of the boat and manuvering to get closer to me as I bobbed in choppy waters! They were completely renovating the place during our stay over Thanksgiving and we often awoke to hammering, sanding and drilling sounds that continued into the evening hours. We got a good view of the work going on from our sea view suite (see pictures). We really did not mind that much, they have to renovate sometime, but it was a minor annoyance in an otherwise wonderful stay.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 21, 2009

first i would like to say, ramon's is by far the best place i have ever been to in my travels. i have been all over europe, cuba, DP, and belize is great. the group of 9 of us went to belize for my sisters wedding and was great. the staff was friendly and always wanted to please. very nice beach and very clean town(san pedro) i never wore shoes the whole time of the trip(9 days). we met richard who was the owner of the resort and was the best human being on the planet along with his wife and staff. 5 of us did the snokel trip to hol chan and shark ray alley and that was great and safe. i felt very safe even by myself in town, never had one problem while i was there. we booked a trip into belize city with inland & sea adventures with eric and that was also awesome, great prices great service and friendly. we did the mayan trip, cave tubing, zip lining, and the zoo all with eric and never had one problem with him, he was great...thanks eric. just south of ramons along the beach is a bar called crazy canucks and that place was awesome, fritz is the owner and is a great dude! beer is very cold there! i have nothing bad to say about the trip, the wedding went off without a hitch, they made up the beach very nice with decorations and great view for pictures...i want to go back asap. please if you have any questions regarding anything, golf car rentals, trips, food,etc. please email me and i will let you know anything i can about one of the best places on earth!
shanesurkan@hotmail.com is my email and feel free to email.

great trip, great food, great people, great hotel, great country, great everything.

little side note, if you get a golf cart go south on the island, when you think its the end keep going, you will hit a bar called the ras safari owned my robert, hidden gem, best jerk chicken i have ever had and great little bar off the beating path...i strongly recommened going to this great place in the middle of nowhere!

• Stayed: December 2009
2  Thank funfromcanada2009
Reviewed December 11, 2009

Ramon's is ultra clean, extremely friendly staff, fantastic beach, lovely dining room, and centrally located. We would suggest that you bring your own decaf tea bags and decaf bags for the dining room. Hopefully they will have WiFi when you arrive. They were just installing it when we left. No TV, nor small fridges or microwaves in the rooms except for the ultra expensive ones. They really make a wonderful attempt to keep the beach raked, the boardwalk swept, and anything else they can do to make the area lovely...and they succeed!
You will not be disappointed by choosing Ramon's!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple