“Authentic Ambiance-Charming Island”

Ranked #15 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
Jupiter, Florida, United States
“Authentic Ambiance-Charming Island”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

The resort definetely met my expectations! I loved the feel of the place, the thatched roof in the room, the landscaping, the sounds of the waves crashing on the reef and the birds calling in the trees.
ROOM 43 was a "Seaside" and I had a sufficient view of the blue water from the front porch. I liked that it was not one of the corner rooms because they share a front porch. I'm glad I could not get (did not pay for) a "beachfront" as some of the room seem to have obstructed views of the sea anyway. I'm glad the room had a fridge even if it barely cooled. I packed a small extension cord based on a review I read which was convenient so I could plug in my ipad charger and music player at the same time without wrangling for the wall outlet! A/C was great and bed was VERY comfortable, as were the linens. HINT, don't use ceiling fan as it sucks down the HOT air/humidity in the ceiling!

The service was fine, nothing exemplarly, but I was taken care of. I travelled solo and ate all but 2 meals for the week at Pineapples. No one "knew my name", but again, the service was fine. THE FOOD HOWEVER, was very dissapointing. Perhaps because I'm from Florida and am used to much of the fare on the menu, I was not impressed with anything I ate. I did think the prices were very reasonable and you can't beat the view and ambiance!

DIVING-I did not think the staff behind the counter at the dive shop were very welcoming; I only just got certified at home so I don't "know the ropes", but I walked the beach and talked to a few other dive shops that seemed more excited about their jobs and the wonders of the sea! The Divemasters at Ramons were VERY GOOD though. I had equalizing issues on my cert dive (ear hematoma) so while I was looking forward to diving, I was VERY anxious about being able to equalize and uncomfortable about having pain/problems. ALPHONSO took me out to Hol Chan for a 30' dive and I felt very well looked after and enjoyed it immensly!! I did 2 reef dives the next day at 80' and 60' with Turiano. He was very clear and thorough and kept an eye on me. I'm hooked! Diving feels very comfortable to me now that I had such close attention of these divemasters. Thank You.

THINGS TO DO-I took catamaran SEADUCED (which you can book at Ramons or directly-see local guide book that will be in your room) which docks at Ramons for a wonderful trip to snorkel Hol Chan and Shark Ray. I thought the best part was going to CAYE CAULKER-they dock here for 2 hours and you can explore on your own. The atmosphere here is much less commercialized than Ambergris and is very primitive. You can walk and photopgraph from one end to the other while here-be sure to head right off the dock to THE SPLIT though!

Also did the CAVE TUBING AND ZIP LINE tour. Boat picks you up at dock and travels about an hour to Belize mainland. Here you board a van and they drive about an hour to the "mountains". Did zip line 1st, felt very safe, then had lunch and did a little hiking (walking, really) with your tube for 30 min or so while the guides point things out like plants and trees. Beautiful location, relaxing way to pass time and take in the sights of the caves and jungle. SADLY THOUGH I SAW *NO* WILDLIFE.

I walked all through AMBERGRIS myself, mostly on the beach side as main street is HOT (and view is not as nice). I got a few "call outs" from the locals but I just ignored them and did not look in their direction. I was not hassled and felt safe. I did not venture out past dark though, except for one night I made the short walk to BLUE WATER GRILL. There are some more decent shops on the street, but the locals selling their wares on the shore will probably give you a better deal if you want what they have.

Room Tip: Dont pay for Beachfront, they wont guarantee which room # you'll get-Get a Seaside
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Debi B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (389)
  • Polish first
Columbia, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

Returned to Ramon's Village after having stayed there and been diving with their operation in March, 2012. Absolutely no complaints this time (aside from the constantly windy days, heavy rains and dense cloud cover mid-week, high sediment levels in the water, and milky water the last few days -- NONE of which are the fault of Ramons or the dive operation!). Stayed in the Honeymoon Suite this time (were in a junior suite last time), and although the quarters were quite a bit smaller, the view from our veranda was unobstructed and perfect. Once again, we found the wait staff in the restaurant to be among the most upbeat, friendly, and accomodating crew one could imagine. Starting with Jack -- always quick with a bon mot (like, "...this food is Jack-a-licious", or "Jack-tacular," "You'd better Belize it", etc.). He would memorize every guest's home state along with their first name, and impress with his knowledge of your state motto (for us The Show Me State), professional sports teams, and capitol city. He never forgot our names, where we were from, or who we were with. Joel, Mark, Roberto, and Steve were equally gracious. And then there is Francis. Who, honestly, remembered us from 15 months ago when he picked us up at the airport! Big hugs all around, and a big welcome back greeting. Great conversationalist, with a keen sense of humor. Add to that the fact that he found our traveling companion's $3,000 hearing aid on the floor of the golf cart, after we thought it was lost on the the American flight from Dallas. We were sure it was gone forever, but when he spotted it, he put two and two together having heard us talking about it on the ride in from the airport. Sure, we provided him a small cash "thank you" and a nice bottle of Pinot Noir from Wine Da Vine across the street. He convincingly told us that such was not necessary, that he was only doing his job, etc. But after that, he refused to take ANY gratuity from us whatever -- including that which we would gladly have provided for schlepping our heavy bags to the airport and then unloading them.

Our Honeymoon Suite (Room 1) was just perfect. Housekeeper Cansi did an A+ job every day. Comfortable king bed, small refrigerator, good coffee and coffee maker, and microwave. It was far enough away from the pool and bar that we heard no noise (and noise was a MAJOR issue in our previous stay there). Not this time. It made us forget the fact that the internet wireless service went down and did not come back up for our last 4 days there, and only worked intermittently before that. We were told it was their local ISP, and that they were working to fix it. No worries -- we were happy to be "unplugged" from our e-mail and happily survived it! And an extra benefit is that there was NO TV!

As for the diving, the dive operation is still a class act. Pretty much dove with the same DMs all week. Ernest primarily, and he is great. Dove one day with Felipe, and another with Rolando. Both great. Seeing 3 dancing and playing Spotted Eagle Rays on the last day made it really a memorable experience. Ernest's assistant, Andy, was great, too, as we all needed a little help in the really choppy waters in and beyond the channel as we traveled to various dive sites. The DMs were in the water with us as we were struggling a bit on the tag line and waiting our turn to get back on the boat after the dives. They would remove our fins for us, and for me they would take my camera so that I could have both hands free and not get rope burn from the bobbing and weaving boat! The diving was a bit disappointing in that the reefs have lost a lot of their color and vibrance, with a sandy covering on many of them, and with the relentless winds day in and out, the water was sediment-laden and milky on many dives. Just the same, a fair day of diving is better than a good day at work any time!

Good restaurants and watering holes in an easy-distance walk, including Blue Water, Wild Mango, and Fidos. Took the North Coast ferry (only a 10-minute walk from Ramon's) up to Capricorn and Rendevous restaurants, too, but honestly liked the restaurants nearby much better.

Thanks, Ramon's, for another memorable week of diving, relaxation, and enjoyment.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DeanJ
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

Just back from a week at Ramon's and loved every minute of it. Pineapples, the restaurant on the beach was a wonderful way to start and end your day. The restaurant and bar start were like family and the setting was idillic. The dive operation was primo- dive masters, boat captains and crew were helpful, knowledgeable, professional and FUN. Sun rise was @ 5am and the town wakes up about then with traffic on Coconut Drive, so if you are a light sleeper in a garden room you might consider bringing earplugs or staying more interior of the property. If you are a silver linings type, Max, the guard dog at Ali Baba's (check with Billy for the leash) is available for long walks on the beach or to explore the interior and southern section of town any time but early morning explorations were just one more facet of the trip that made it heaven for me.

Room Tip: If you want a sunrise wake up call then stay in the garden rooms close to Coconut Drive. See above...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Janolavarri
Pocono Pines, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

I recently spent three days at Ramon's with a group of friends. Clean beaches, easy access to San Pedro and many nearby restaurants and shops. My favorite spot was the comfortable padded chairs on the open air decks... overlooking the water with the breezes coming in, a thatched roof to keep away the sun.

1 Thank Carolyn K
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

My son and I just returned from a weeks stay at Ramon's Village. I can't imagine you could find a better a resort and dive center on Ambergris Caye. The village and restaurant staff were exceptional. Always a smile and cheerful hello. I'd like to especially thank Jack and Vidal. The rooms were well kept and cleaned daily. A super cold A/C unit made the nights very comfortable. The beach was clean and manicured daily. Village security politely kept any beach "nuisances" to a minimum. The bar service was excellent.

The dive center is top notch. They provided lockers for your personal or rental equipment thus avoiding the need to haul it back and forth to your room. All of the dive boats were clean and well maintained. Most of our dives were guided by Turiano and assisted by Juan. Turiano is just amazing. He is a very relaxed and knowledgeable dive master. I think he might have gills to boot. Thanks to Ernesto, Ryo and the rest of the dive staff for a great trip to the Lighthouse Reef Atoll (Blue Hole) and Turneffe's Elbow. I can't say enough good things about Wil. He went out of his way to organize and lead us on an amazing trip to hunt lion fish outside the reef south of Hol Chan Marine Reserve. Along on the trip was Ryo and Modesto. Thank you so much! It was the highlight of our week at Ramon's.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

I recently returned from a week at Ramon's Village with a group of friends. The location was perfect!The accommodations and food were great but the diving and dive shop staff were amazing!I had my regulator serviced prior to my trip but to my surprise is wasn't working. The guys at the dive shop went out of their way to repair my regulator so I could use my own gear. They were very professional,helpful,friendly and fun.Thanks Will,Rayo,Arnold,Marcus and Sharkbait!!!! We will definitely be back!

1 Thank Jackie E
earth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

Just returned from a wonderful 1 week stay at Ramon's. The property itself is well maintained, and the staff couldn't be more wonderful. We ate breakfast there daily, and had lunch a couple times and were always happy with the food and the dining room staff. Had drinks at the bar a couple times and the guys (especially Ron & Kareem) were terrific. Ramon himself came around a few times to say hello and check on us. Our palapa was very clean and the maid did a nice job daily.

The dive shop was excellent. The equipment is very new and well maintained. We were VERY lucky to do all of our diving with Toriano (assisted by Juan) and couldn't be happier. Toriano is an exceptional dive master, takes his time to explain and give briefings, and leads very relaxed dives. I highly recommend him!

1 Thank diverdiver10