“Very outdated, location and grounds barely worth the trade off”

Ramon's Village Resort
Ranked #13 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed February 1, 2013

We were at this resort many years ago. The rooms were out of date then and they have not been changed or updated, that is not good. The rooms are small, dark, the bathrooms quite small, with plastic shower surrounds in the original rooms. Air conditioners and mini bars kind of work, sometimes yes, sometimes no. Lighting is terrible both bedside and overhead. Old colored bedspreads that should immediately be retired. Bathroom is small but water pressure is decent, with enough towels and soaps provided, which is necessary since nothing dries overnight. Decent storage for clothes and suitcases though electrical plugs were few and far between and made it a real challenge to charge things. The cleaning personnel however were excellent. A small patio or deck is off most rooms, not private though in most instances given the foot traffic through the paths within the grounds
Front desk service was not particularly helpful and in several instances we were given wrong directions, wrong information or perplexingly bad suggestions. Bar is good, fun, with good mixed drinks and wine selections. We would not eat at the restaurant except for one mediocre lunch as it was so bad the last time we were there---and looking at it and the menu did not look like it had improved much. Go down the beach or into town, elsewhere to the many better choices.
The grounds, beach and location are the best things here. Many tourists from elsewhere walk to this beach to lay in the sun. The grounds are pleasantly manicured and landscaped and there is a nice but cold pool. There were NEVER enough chairs out on the beach though and unless one parked there all day, you dont have a chance at a chair. It would be simple to add more chairs since they have grown the number of rooms. An okay stay given we did not eat there or spend time in the rooms, but a place where you feel like you simply settled for less than you should

5  Thank Chicago60604
Brian-Marketing, Marketing at Ramon's Village Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2013

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor and please allow us to provide some feedback which may be helpful. Over the past several months, Ramon's Village Resort has been in the process of upgrading each and every room at our resort to include new mattresses, bedspreads and sheets, new interior design features along with replacing all of the doors and windows in each thatched roof cabana. This process involves taking the room out of the reservation circuit while contractors upgrade each room and maintain a low profile so that our resort guests are not inconvenienced by the sounds that accompany the renovation work. In addition, we have ordered and installed in-room safes in almost every guest room with the balance of the safes being installed over the next week. In order to enhance our Internet wireless connectivity, we are also installing additional devices that boost receptivity across the entire resort with that work being concluded over the next two days.

Our Pineapples restaurant has added many new specialty items and if you haven't dined with us lately, you should take the opportunity to try some of our signature items including steak, fish or lobster on a hot cooking stone served at your table and the delightful Pineapple Boat filled with exotic delicacies. All of our dishes are prepared fresh daily and are moderately priced with guests enjoying a stunning view of the azure blue waters of the Caribbean right from their table. Chefs Rommy Kie and Ronnie Kie craft delicious and wonderfully presented breakfast, lunch and dinner creations each day certain to please the tastes of even the most stringent food critics.

Our staff is committed to providing you an unforgettable vacation experience in an authentic thatched roof cabana surrounded by native flora and fauna. Our resort is not a concrete box with identically decorated rooms. When you visit Ramon's Village Resort, you are stepping back into the Caribbean of fifty years ago albeit with some modern features that make life more comfortable. Our location right on the beach near downtown San Pedro makes it convenient for guests to experience Belize and the entire island of Ambergris Caye right from our resort. Our electric golf carts, which are available on a rental basis, provide ease of access all across the island, and are emission free and quiet. In addition, Ramon's Village Divers is a PADI 5 Star IDC resort with six dive boats and the most experienced dive masters on the island. Combine all of these features with our Beach Spa, incredible pool, fully stocked Gift Shop and the renowned Purple Parrot and you have a resort from which you can experience all of the wonders of Belize right from the doorsteps to your thatched roof cabana.

There are newer reviews for Ramon's Village Resort

Reviewed January 30, 2013

This is an unusual review, as we’ve never stayed there.

My wife and I were booked for Ramon’s for a week a couple of weeks ago, and we were greatly looking forward to making the trip. Unfortunately, about a week before our departure, my father fell ill, and the day before our departure, it became quite clear that he would not last the week. We were disappointed, in more ways than one, that we had to cancel our trip within 36 hours of our anticipated arrival.

Like most hotels, Ramon’s has a “no refund” policy for cancellations within the last seven days. However, when I explained the attendant circumstances and our great disappointment, the good people at Ramon’s cheerfully waived their normal policy, and refunded the cost of our trip in full. They certainly were under no legal or contractual obligation to do so.

While we have never stayed at Ramon’s, I can promise you that we for darn certain will stay there on our next trip to Belize, and I will forever be grateful for Ramon’s kind and considerate treatment during this very unfortunate time in my life.

2  Thank 41-38
Reviewed January 27, 2013

We spent 4 nights at Ramons and came away uninspired. The grounds are very nicely kept, the thatched roofs and tropical landscaping set a very nice atmosphere. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Having dive and snorkeling trips leaving twice a day from the pier is very convenient.
But ... The reviewers who said they didn't hear any airplanes from the runway across the street must be deaf. They warm up around 6:30 AM and several flights leave at 7:00 AM. We stayed on the second floor and the noise of the planes made the windows vibrate.
The food was OK, but I don't think people go there for the cuisine. It is probably the nicest hotel in San Pedro since it actually has a beach - about 150 feet of it. The rest of the property, and all of the other properties in San Pedro are perched on a concrete seawall. It is really a long harbor with many piers and the first "street" along the water is paved with sand. The "beach" at Ramons has a sandy bottom about 20 feet out into the sea, then the seagrass takes over. If you are looking for a true beach resort, you won't find it in San Pedro.
If you intend to use the internet for anything serious or timely, look elsewhere. It takes from 2-6 tries to get logged in to their network - when it's working. Then the sessions last for 2-16 minutes before you are dropped. The guy at the front desk explained that their is only one ISP (internet service provider) in San Pedro so the service is terrible with no competition.
Since the resort was wiped out by a hurricane in 2000 and then rebuilt, I expected better accommodations. The high thatched ceiling was unique and nicely reinforced the tropical feel. The furniture in the room was worn. The shower had obviously been installed by a short Maya with the showerhead and the top of the shower curtain about 5 feet above the tub. But they installed a full length shower curtain so the bottom foot of it was lying in the bottom of the tub. Watch your step.
So if you're looking for a place to go diving, and not much else, Ramons is a good bet.

Room Tip: The stand alone huts with a garden view only have 2 standard windows - and you need to keep the curt...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 24, 2013

2 stars for the fact that I can write this review while sitting on the patio overlooking the ocean and the wireless is actually decent. This and the fact that the person at the front desk actually did try to help us with a few issues we had been having with our room. The room is clean and spartan. The resort is sterile and what you would imagine a resort would be like from the perspective of a native imagining how an affluent American might want to indulge in a Central American island experience without getting their hands dirty or their feet wet.

Anyhow, I am 35, male. I have traveled extensively for a very long time and this, my dear readers, is not quite what I was looking for to end my experience on Ambergris Caye.

To the wait staff of Pineapples: Please stop saying "you better Belize it" and "un-Beliezable" every minute. As fantastic and idyllic as this countryside may be, it is actually painful just to hear this come out of your mouth for the hundredth time. Perhaps the old folks here like this sort of cheesy stuff (and this might actually be a resort fo the elderly now that I think if it) but it does get old and quite frankly I didn't want to be anywhere near the bar or the patios after a few encounters.

Music: Nickleback et. al. And what's with the mix? You play 30 seconds of 500 songs, get to the hook, then change it. Its ADHD paradise.

Lodging: (Belizean Princess): It is right behind the airport and on the most heavily-trafficked road in San Pedro. If you were looking for some quiet, this is not the place. for 150 US/night, at least throw in a television to the room to drown out the sound of the propellers and broken down golf carts cruising by. Or at least allow us wireless access inside our rooms. Something. Seems a bit steep for so little amenities.

Food: I hope you don't like tasting it. Bland at best.

Amenities: Did not try the SCUBA or snorkeling trips, or anything for that matter since it is severely overpriced compared to the rest of the island. All it takes is a quick stroll up the beach to get half price on everything save renting a snorkel. You can get a massage for 35US in some places as well, this place charges 100 and up. Not sure what the difference is but I would be willing to bet that the difference is negligible at best.

I do not recommend this place for young people. or people on a budget. I don't really actually recommend this place to anyone, but it seems that a certain demographic find it just perfect, and I am happy for them. I suppose I will read more reviews next time I find myself wanting to stay at a resort that has such an inviting internet curb appeal but a hollow and cookie-cutter interior. We had a wonderful stay at a nice little resort about a mile north of SP for half the price, twice the amenities, and peaceful and serene as can be. We will be staying up there next time and if we want the stereotypical "American in Belize" experience we will waThe charm of this island has nothing to do with franchise

Room Tip: Pick a room at another hotel
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Ye_Old_ELK
Brian-Marketing, Marketing at Ramon's Village Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2013

Dear Ye Old Elk:

While we appreciate the fact that you took the time to "review" Ramon's Village, we could not disagree any more fully with your assessment of our resort. We, the staff at Ramon's Village and Belizean Princess, (and all of us are native Belizeans) work extremely hard to provide a unique vacation experience for our guests. In our defense, we have opted to address your critique on a point by point basis as follows:

1. Thank you for the "two stars" on having wireless service which is available throughout our resort and FREE of charge to guests at Ramon's and the Belizean Princess. We would have surely thought a "five star" rating was appropriate given the fact you were enjoying a breathtaking view of the barrier reef while trashing us on Trip Advisor, but oh well. We as a staff are also very attentive to guests needs as you noted and try to help our guests with any issues they may encounter and do so in a friendly way. Yes our rooms are clean, very clean, but hardly spartan. The authentic thatched roof cabanas, genuine hardwood floors and walls and idyllic beachfront, seaside and garden rooms are surrounded by native flora and fauna and you are just steps away from our white sand beach and the Caribbean sea. Just so you know, our guests routinely "get their hands dirty" playing in the sand on the beach and "their feet wet" splashing in the azure blue waters of the Caribbean right from our resort.

2. Congratulations on your extensive travels being only 35 years old. By comparison, the owners of Ramon's have only visited 85 countries so far and I'm sure would love to compare notes with you on your travel experiences and how to properly rate hotel, resort and restaurant properties.

3. We will endeavor to have our wait staff be not so friendly; however, given the nature of San Pedranos (as our citizens are known) it will be a difficult task making them try not to entertain guests, make them feel welcome and provide them with a dining experience they will remember for a lifetime. You may not like to hear "Unbelizeable" or "You better Belize It", but 99.9999% of our guests LOVE IT!

4. Food – Pineapples Restaurant at Ramon's features a wide variety of Belizean delicacies including fresh fish, lobster, steak, chicken, fresh vegetables and fresh fruit. Quite frankly, we receive rave reviews from our many guests who dine with us while overlooking the Caribbean from their tables. The food here is awesome, prepared fresh daily and moderately priced—you can Belize our food is anything but bland!

5. Since you did not try the scuba or snorkeling at our resort, we are somewhat puzzled as to how you can make an assessment of our services at Ramon's Village Divers which is a PADI 5 Star IDC Resort. With six dive boats, superbly qualified Dive Masters and Dive Shop Manager Rick Sutherland, who has managed the Dive Shop since 1986, our dive operation ranks among the top in the world. Remember, cheaper is not always better, you get what you pay for and at Ramon's Village Divers you are getting the very best Belize has to offer. As for our Beach Spa, we use top of the line products, our staff are skilled professionals, and the fact that it is an outdoor Beach Spa makes it totally unique and relaxing. Again, cheaper is not always better and you get what you pay for.

6. Despite your misgivings, we have many, many young people, middle age and older guests who absolutely love the allure that Ramon's offers and would disagree with you totally on your "cookie cutter" description. Ramon's Village is nestled among coconut palms, right on the beach and has an authentic Belizean charm that would be difficult, if not impossible, to replicate. We're not a "big box" hotel with identical rooms and a great view of a concrete parking lot. Ramon's Village and Belizean Princess, despite your assessment, appeal to people of all ages because they are unique, centrally located and convenient to downtown San Pedro. While we appreciate the fact that you stayed with us, perhaps you should take your own advice and stay somewhere else on your next visit to Ambergris Caye. We can assure you that the room space you leave vacant will be filled by guests who enjoy our resort, love our staff and make lasting memories and lifelong friends while residing in our little corner of paradise.

To those who would like to see our "cookie cutter" resort, please visit and see for yourself what Ramon's Village is all about. Hope to see you soon and we'll resist the temptation to tell you that "you can't Belize how much fun you will have at Ramon's Village"!

The Employees of Ramon's Village Resort, San Pedro, Belize

Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

We go to Ramon's at least 2 to 3 times a year I love all the people there, they are like family to my husband and I . This will be a review of honesty of Ramon's staff, as usual while staying there we keep all our jewelry in the personal safes at the front desk, one evening we were going to town for dinner so I went to the front desk and get our jewelry upon walking up the steps to our room ( honeymoon suite right on the beach ) the bag broke and ALL our jewelry scattered all over the beach and under the stairs, the sun had just set so not much light to look for it. I immediately went to the front desk to tell what had happened they sent over a security officer and groundskeeper to help me find the jewelry. we found everything but my husband blue diamond ring that we had purchased in Jamaica just a year earlier, they said they would have help the next day to continue looking. The next morning a groundskeeper, security and Francis from the golf cart rental showed up to look, they cut back all the vegetation from around the room raked the beach around room sifted the sand under the stairs and porch almost all day looking but they didn't find, we were leaving the next morning so I told Lester at the front desk to please let me know if it is found. they assured me they would. We got home the next day and upset we thought the ring was gone forever, we'll our second day home I received a call, Ramon told me it had rained very hard after we left and that the grounds keeper continued to look for the ring after the rain and found it, I could not believe that he turned it in, so honest, the owner brought the ring with him to the states and mailed it to us. I can't thank Elio enough for his honesty and desire to find this ring for us. We love the staff at Ramon's thanks everyone see you soon. Go Thunder !!!!!

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank okgoldustwmn
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Everything was amazing during the week my dad and I spent at Ramon's. The guy's at the Dive Shop were all so helpful and upbeat. They were responsible and fun and made a huge effort to ensure we had an amazing time. Big thanks to Will!! As a beginner diver he gave me one of my best dive experiences by taking it slow and really being attentive to me during the dive. It will be a dive I won't forget! He also showed me an unforgettable time at Shark Ray Alley. Because of the amazing experiences thanks to the best crew, I will be making a trip back as soon as possible. Thanks to Felipe as well, another wonderful dive master. I truly believe the resort staff is what made the experience one of my best. Thanks to Videl and Jack at the Pineapples Restaurant for being so welcoming making an effort to get to know us and taking wonderful care of us. I cannot wait to get back to San Pedro for more diving and more fun. Thanks guys!

Room Tip: The resort is small enough that every room is close to the beach!
1  Thank BrookeAvila
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Ramon's was the perfect place to stay for our first time to Belize! The resort was truly a tropical paradise. The staff, from the gentlemen who picked us up at the airport, to the front desk, to the restaurant, to the bar, to the gift shop were incredibly friendly, helpful, and pleasant. It is in a convenient location, right on the beach, walking distance to town. We will highly recommend Ramon's to family and friends.

Room Tip: The seaside rooms are steps from the beach.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family