“Ramon's Village and San Pedro”

Ramon's Village Resort
Ranked #15 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Ramon's Village and San Pedro”
Reviewed August 16, 2012

The resort is literally walking distance from the small airport, although they will transport your luggage for you and will take you too ifyou like. All on golf carts. I had not been here before but other memberso fthe group have. Great place, great food, very kid friendly, nice staff. The beach and the pool (very nice) helped keep two active young children busy and satisfied. My only word of caution is that there was a big mix-up with what meals, if any, were included in the original price. We though breakfast was included for the adults, and found out later that was not the case, which changed the pricing considerably. We opted for the meal plan for lunch and dinner, which allowed a certain dollar figure for items on the menu and you could add extra items (not included) if you wishes. A modest lunch and very nice dinner with juice drink worked in the budget. Desert was extra but quite tasty, so it was worth it. We also had a room mix-up with the kids but it is not clear whether it was the travel agency or the resort who failed in the communication. It was a bit crowded but workable and we had a great vacation. The kids loved it, and that's what was important. Also good for diving, day trips to mainlan Mayan ruins, snorkeling.

Room Tip: All rooms are bungalow style, attactive in a rustic sort or way. Thatched "A frame" roofs...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank BFeely600

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
  • Polish first
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Reviewed August 11, 2012

I had a wonderful time at Ramon's Village. The staff was super friendly and efficient. I feel like Ramon is a long lost Uncle (tio) he made us feel very welcome. The Cleaning staff was always able to get every bit of sand that I dragged back to the room from the beach. Love the fact that each room has a fridge. The AC worked well even though all of the bungalows had thatched roofs.

The Dive shop staff was friendly. I especially the love Captain Edwin and Dive Master Palma on the MISS BELIZE (boat). They always helped me with my gear.

Alex and Ron at the Bar kept our glasses filled (virgin of course).

The only complaint I have is with the owner (AMERICAN INVESTOR). He does not allow any of the local music to be played. It is shame that a group of almost 40 black divers could not even hear any of the local black music, PUNTA. As with every genre of music there are family friendly versions of songs that can be played.

Room Tip: Make sure you get an ocean view or beach front room they are farther away from the road.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Donna S
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed August 10, 2012

We were referred to Ramon's Dive Shop through a homeowner in San Pedro and unfortunately I was less than satisfied. I had not been on a dive in over 2 years; and the first thing that the dive shop said to me was grab a BCD and put your gear together. I thought I was going to have an anxiety attack. I needed at least a little reassurance that these people cared about me and my life; but apparently they automatically assumed everyone on board was an experienced diver. I understand that if you are experienced this probably is a normal situation and you don't want to be babied...but they at least need to take the time to be personable enough to know what experience levels they have on board. In addition, our dive to Hol Chan (which was amazing the previous year with another dive shop) was horrible and disappointing because the dive master simply went straight through the cut without stopping to show us anything or allowing us time to explore our surroundings. We opted to dive with another outfit the next dive and it was 100% better. I would not recommend any amateur diver to use Ramon's.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank MRFaulk
San Rafael, California
Reviewed August 7, 2012

My friend and I spent 5 nights at Ramon's in July. We did a lot of research and were more than satisfied with our experience. Check in was easy. We were given a seaside room that had a partial ocean view. The outside of the bldg. was unique and the room was well equipped with a nice king bed, beautiful h/w floors, decent sized bathroom and a porch with 2 chairs. It's not 5 star but if you are traveling in Belize you should know it's a more adventurous vacation to begin with.
The common facilities were in great shape & immaculate. The grounds were stunning. Breakfast each morning was delicious and the service was great. Nice strong coffee. Delicious fresh & local fruit. Fantastic views of the ocean.
We did not use the dive shop but the guys who work breakfast and man the bar gave some of the best advice about local food and things to do.
I had a pedicure on the beach and it was lovely.
The beach was one of the nicest in the area and towels & chairs were readily available each day. We rented a golf cart only on days we wanted to visit the north side of the island - everyone must hit up palapa bar.
One testament to the customer service at Ramon's was that on our last night we had a baby lizard in our room on the ceiling. We made a call to the front desk and we were moved immediately to another room.
I would absolutely recommend Ramon's to anyone who likes to experience a little bit of rustic accomodations with excellent service, food and amenities. Rustic is not code for "dirty". It's an adjective to describe what I think is a good balance in travel accomodations.

Room Tip: Order a happy hour cocktail and lounge in the pool or read your book under the big palapa at sunset.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank pepebrie
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed August 5, 2012

We didn't stay at Ramon's, but we were next door and our family group of ten ate most of our meals there.

The service is cordial and efficient, there is a large selection of menu choices for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and prices are reasonable.

Señor Ramon Nuñez (the namesake of the hotel) is the consummate host. Even though we weren't hotel guests, he spent a lot of time at our table making us feel welcome and comfortable.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank texquill
Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed August 2, 2012

My husband and I visited Ramon's Village in July for a vacation. The beach was lovely and ideal for relaxation - there were ample beach chairs, as well as shady places to lounge. We were also pleased with the quality of the restaurant - good menu options and prompt service. I appreciated all of the fresh fruit at breakfast!

We stayed in a garden room, which was a thatched roof cabana with a king bed and private bath. There were also two chairs on a shared porch. The room was comfortable, quiet and well maintained. The shower in the bathroom is a bit narrow, but we made do.

What stuck out for me most was how friendly and attentive the staff were. The servers in the restaurant were warm and extremely helpful, and the staff in the dive shop and at the front desk also had excellent customer service. The resort really felt like home to us!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank phillyexpat77
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 31, 2012

We stayed at Ramon's Village for 7 nights following touring Guatemala and Belize for 2 weeks and were looking forward to relaxation and water based activities. We were picked up by golf buggy and shown Rooms 10 and 11. Immediately the road noise assaulted my ears as both rooms backed on to the main road to the southern part of Ambergris Caye. Following a complaint the hotel moved us to Rooms 2 and 3 which were a significant improvement. However we were charged for an upgrade when we left (which I declined to pay). After 4 nights we were told that we would have to move back to our original rooms and when I resisted this we were moved to Rooms 14 and 15 which were better than the original rooms in terms of the noise but still there were some issues such as air on blowing so hard on the nearest bed that my husband had to build a barricade of pillows against it! On a positive note, we used the Dive Centre at Ramon's and were very happy with it. Valentine was great with my younger son doing his PADI and my elder son doing advanced PADI. My husband did two resort dives and I snorkelled twice - all great. The resort feels outdated but despite my reservations on the layout of the pool it was clean and larger than it first appears. The Garden Rooms should be avoided but the others are fine. Expect large dive parties from the US and I suspect that service would be stretched at peak season. It is well located for restaurants in San Pedro but noise from the airport is pretty constant from early morning.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family