“Fantastic dive vacation!”

Ranked #14 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Los Angeles, California
“Fantastic dive vacation!”
Reviewed July 13, 2012

Nine friends went on a diving vacation June 23rd-30th 2012 to Ramon's Village on Ambergris Caye. The resort picked us up along with all our gear,from Tropic Air, which is just a few blocks away. The staff, bartenders and waiters were charming and helpful. The thatched hut rooms are really cool and everything is closeby...dive shop, pool, restaurant and bar. The resort is on the beach and has a a lovely, tropical ambience.

We went out to the dock everyday at 9am and headed out on a small but comfortable boat (just us). The dive sites were only 10-20 minutes away and then we came back to the reosrt for our "surface interval". Most of us only did two dives a day but a third was always available, as well as a trip to the Blue Hole. I didn't go on that excursion because of the expense and the distance. The water was warm, calm and clear, although the previous three weeks there had been very ugly weather, so we were lucky. We saw turtles, rays and lots of nurse sharks who were very lively, swimming around us, looking for a Lionfish "treat". Lionfish are invading the reef there and are threatening the ecosystem, so they are speared and fed to the nurse sharks. FUN!! We loved our captain and dive guide, Ricky Martin and Adolfo, who were with us all six days. The diving there is nice, like most Caribbean desinations.

After diving, lunch and belikins (local beer) in the outdoor restaurant/bar! There are also beach chairs right on the water under the palm trees! A few minutes walk down the beach are numerous casual restaurants and bars. We also found a massage tent on the beach and got a fabulous massage for only $40 (us). Ramon's spa charges $120. Every night we found a new restaurant within walking distance...fresh, local cuisine and lots of yummy seafood at mostly reasonable prices. Lobster was often $35 (us) or more.

One afternoon we rented a golf cart from Ramons for four hours ($45) and it was fun to drive around and see the rest of the island. A couple of afternoons my boyfriend found some locals to play volleyball with, right on beach. The people there are so friendly!

Everything about our trip and the resort was just perfect! No complaints.

Room Tip: Beachfront are the nicest but cost more, but the garden rooms are fine too.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank sls1124

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
  • Polish first
Plano, TX
Reviewed July 13, 2012

Ramon's has a very nice beach and well maintained property. It appeared to be one of the nicest on the island and we really liked the location not right in the center of town but close to everything still. The staff were super friendly and most do seem to go out of their way to assist. The pier is nice and we were able to use the dive shop's gear to do some snorkeling and saw some sting rays. We did have some problems with our a.c. We also had a problem with bugs swarming around our room on the last night. We went to the front desk and they moved us next door to a smaller room where the a.c. had been turned off all day and it took until about 1AM for the room to cool down. Not sure if there were other options available or not. Breakfast was included with our plan and the food was always delicious. We did try dinner one night and was not very impressed. Overall was a wonderful week.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed July 10, 2012

So I waited a few months to write this because I was so angry upon my return from Ramon’s Village. Most of the trip was wonderful and the staff was very friendly. We went at the very end of tourist season so it was a little difficult to set up some excursions, but we understood and staff assisted us in making other arrangements. The hotel grounds were well kept and the beach area was one of the nicer beaches in the area. The rooms could use some modernization (TV and updated décor), but they were very clean and quaint. The food at the restaurant was pretty good and Joel (waiter) was the best!
My complaint came on our last day of our stay when my wedding ring was stolen out of my makeup bag in our locked room. When I notified staff at the front desk (late night) they told me that they would have the manager contact me first thing in the morning. I told them that we were leaving in the early afternoon so please contact me first thing. By 10:45 AM I still had not heard from management so I went to the front lobby and they quickly got the manager for me. The manager asked me if I maybe misplaced it and if I checked my room thoroughly? I advised him that I was positive it was in the bag with four other rings and I had not worn it outside of the room since my stay began. Every night I checked the bag and made sure all the rings were there. On the last day of our stay the three other rings were in the bag and only the one with the large diamond was missing. For the next 15 minutes the manager made it seem like I just lost my ring or forgot that I put it somewhere. He made me feel like I was crazy. Upon leaving the manager’s office he assured me that cleaning staff would tear apart the room in search for the ring. I genuinely believe that they did upon our departure, but I knew it would not be found because the ring was not lost but removed from my personal item bag. Having my wedding ring taken has been devastating to me. My husband gave me the ring as a sign of our love and life together. This event ruined our vacation and made me feel violated because I knew someone went through my personal items.
I was not going to post this originally because we really did enjoy the hotel and I did not want to tarnish their reputation, but I felt this was not an isolated incident after reading the post about the missing watch. I was pretty upset to that management did not try and make this up to me in anyway, but simply blamed me for the loss (claiming I lost my ring). All I received was a generic sorry. I just wish that my beautiful ring was returned to me, but it never was.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Brittney H
Arden, North Carolina
Reviewed July 10, 2012

From the gentleman that picked us up to the night security guard, everyone was wonderful. The rooms are clean and we were blessed to have a strong air conditioner. The restaurant is fun and I still dream of the waffles and french toast with a glass of watermelon juice. They do an amazing job of providing a secluded feeling when you are actually just blocks from the vibrant downtown. Though we were there on our honeymoon, a wedding was held there during our visit and it was inspiring to see how excited employees were for it. I strongly recommend it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Twentynine Palms, California
Reviewed July 8, 2012

We stayed 7 days at Ramon's on Ambergris Cayes in July 2012 and had a great time. We had never been before and unsure of what to expect. Dive staff could not have been better. Palmo and Raynaldo took great care of us and we dove twice a day all week and dove with nurse sharks on every dive. I had my dive camera float off and Palmo managed to find it...in the entire Caribbean ocean he found it! The restaurant staff were terrific as were the room staff. The staff really make the difference at Ramons.
You fly in to Belize City then take a 15 min flight over to San Pedro. Eat at Ramon's or wander up the beach to large numbers of beach side restaurants. Terrific seafood.

Room Tip: Sea side looks out on the ocean (about 75 feet away!)
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KJ B
Wescosville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 7, 2012

First off Ambergris was off of my bucket list of places to dive, so the resort was chosen by way of other divers giving the OK to go to this resort.

Location was also a factor. We wanted to be close to town, and did not regret it. San Pedro is a wonderful little town and it has a nice feel. We did get hassled one night by a pan handler, which was not comfortable and not the fault of the resort. Go explore the town!

The dive staff was very good. The rental equipment was in good repair, although I did not use it. The DM led us on some very nice dives, very close to the resort which was a plus.

The staff also had mainland trips planned which after shopping around the island were on par with what other places offered and fairly priced. We did cave tubing and the Belize Zoo, and it was worth it for us.

The food was of good quality, for a middle of the road place. We had a budget and this worked out for us. We just got the breakfast plan and ate out or snacked in our room the rest of the time. There is a lot of good eats around the resort.

The bar staff mixed good drinks and took good care of us at the bar and on the beach, which is so nice when you do not want to move from your hammock!

We got to meet Ramon and he circulated most days and greeted the guests, which added to the feel of the resort.

We were not disappointed. For what we paid and what we expected we got our dollars worth at Ramon's.

Room Tip: I do not think that be beach front is necessary. The sister resort across the street was less expen...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
seabrook, Texas
Reviewed July 5, 2012

On my 2nd trip to Belize, we stayed at Ramon's Diving Village (we're non-divers). I would never book anywhere else on Ambergris Caye...awesome service, food is wonderful & the 4-suite thatched roof huts are quaint , yet private. You can snorkel right off the pier at Ramon's!! The diving guys who run all of the tours for cave tubing, Blue Hole, Shark Ray Alley, etc. , are trustworthy & know their stuff. Don't miss the following: For food:::: Elvi's Kitchen, For Fun::::: Cave Tubing and windsurfing, For snorkeling::::: Shark Ray Alley - lots of fish, turtles, sharks and rays! Bring lots of sunscreen!!

Room Tip: Don't get room(s) near pool --- some overlook the pool and there is a healthy "party"...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family