“Definately the island experience”

Ramon's Village Resort
Ranked #12 of 55 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed August 6, 2011

Thoroughly enjoyed my experince at Ramon's I had a nice "hut" which had a great view of the Carribean. The white sand and palm trees were everywhere, along with many different colors of flowers and bushes. The pool was not very big but was clean and refreshing. Really enjoyed the island life by being in one of the hammocks along the beach area. The food and beverages were competively priced compared to other resorts and the service wasn't always the quickest, but very island friendly.

Room Tip: No tv in room so bring i-pod or nooks or books to relax in room with after a day in the sun.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,367)

Reviewed July 9, 2011

Stayed 8 Nights - Flew on AA BWI - MIA to Belize city both 737-800's. Flew from Belize city to San Pedro on a 12 seat Cessna one hour early because we only pack carry-on and didn't have to wait for any checked luggage. The flight from Belize city to San Pedro was great for arial photos and video. Ramons picked us up in a golf cart and drove a very short distance to the resort. We arrived at Ramons around 11AM - Now that's quick! Checkin went quickly. Stayed in room #11. The room was fine. AC good, No TV but we don't watch TV much or at all on vacation anyway. I could paid for wifi and used my itouch if I really needed any news, etc. Ate breakfast at Ramons and some other meals there as well, but there are many good resturants in San Pedro. We really liked The Sunset Grill where you can feed the Tarpin and view the setting sun. We did a night snorkle and that was awesome. Also went on trips to Shark Ray alley, Caye Cauker, Cave tubing, and Belize Zoo instead of zipline because we've ziplined 2 or 3 times in the past on other islands. Ramon was around every morning. He's a great guy. Rented a gold cart one day and that was fun. We usually try to go somewhere new every year but are seriously thinking about coming back to Ramons next year. Everyone at the Resort and on Ambergris Cay were very warm and friendly. Vendors are far less pushy than some other places in the caribbean. When flying home we went to Jet's Bar at Belize int airport - You have to meet Jet.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sunfunbeer
Reviewed July 8, 2011

My husband and I stayed at Ramon’s Village June 22 – 30, and had a great time. Everything about Ramon’s Village is wonderful. The office staff, the waiters, the bartenders, the security guards, the housekeepers, the staff at the dive shop, and Ramon himself, are all friendly, happy, and just all around top notch.

Ramon’s is about a 2 – 3 minute walk from the airport. Check in went quickly, then our golf cart chauffer took us to our room. What a cute little thatch-roofed hut, surrounded by lush, tropical foliage! We were in Garden View room #9 (see map attached in the photo section). It was really nice. Not Ritz-Carlton fancy nice, but rather cute, quaint nice. This row of huts is pretty close to the road though so, if you are a light sleeper, you may want to consider springing for a room closer to the beach and away from the road. After being there 8 nights, I have a couple of suggestions for improvements, so, Ramon’s Village, if you’re reading this, just know that I’m a big fan and enjoyed our stay but, here are a couple of suggestions that would make the huts even nicer for your guests:

1. Add lamps on the nightstands. My husband likes to read in bed at night before going to sleep and the only lighting is overhead hanging lamps which are very bright and directly over your head while you’re trying to sleep.

2. Put a ceiling on the bathroom. The bathroom has walls, but the ceiling is open, leaving any bathroom noises and/or smells to waft out in to the rest of the hut. There are just some things that should always be private.

Ramon’s Village definitely has the best beach on the island (there aren’t many beaches on the island where you can kick back and relax in a lounge chair - in fact, Ramon’s is the only one I saw - but, Ramon’s beach is a good one!). There is some sea grass near the shore that you’ll have to walk through or swim across but, no big deal. The dive shop was really great too. Lots of adventures to choose from. We booked three excursions through them. All three wound up being with SEAduced, and were fantastic.

The restaurant and bar at Ramon’s Village was really good. I never had anything I didn’t like. They don’t use much cheese in their dishes though. This surprised me. I guess I expected it to be kind of like Mexico (where cheese is everywhere!) since they’re so close, but it wasn’t.

We went to many restaurants while there and most of them were good, but there are a couple of places that really stood out for us. Lazy Croc BBQ is north of the bridge a little ways and, I don’t care what part of the US you like your BBQ from, this place could rival it. Absolutely fantastic. Their fried okra is the best I’ve ever had, and I’ve had lots of fried okra! I also heard that their Drunken Rum Cake was incredible, but we were so full we didn’t try it. They are only open Fri – Sun from 11 – 6.

The other shining star was the Palapa Bar & Grill. It’s on the north side of the bridge too, not too far from the Lazy Croc BBQ. After having lunch at Lazy Croc, we stopped in at the Palapa Bar for a few drinks. We didn’t eat there since we had just stuffed ourselves with BBQ, but the food that others had looked good. It’s a very relaxed, laid-back atmosphere. In fact, you can even float around in inner-tubes and they’ll lower beer down to you in a bucket. Too fun! The 360° views from the upper deck are absolutely breathtaking!

For those who are beer drinkers, the local beer that is brewed and sold in Belize is Belikin, and a Belikin distributor is about a block away from Ramon’s Village. You can go directly to the distributor and buy case(s). Just remember to pack a bottle opener and collapsible cooler in your luggage, and Ramon’s Village bar or restaurant will fill it up with ice for you. Belikin regular reminded us of Red Stripe with maybe a hint of Guinness. Their light beer is called Lighthouse, and it is similar to Dos Equis. Lighthouse bottles are smaller than regular beer bottles. I don’t know exactly how many ounces they are, but I would guess about 8. My husband and I did the math and figured up that buying beer directly from the distributor came to about $1 - $1.25 US dollars per beer, vs. $2.50 US dollars per beer buying it from Ramon’s Village. There is also Belikin stout, but we didn’t try it so don’t have a comparison. You can also buy bottled water, Coke, Diet Coke, and some of the Smirnoff malt liquor drinks at the distributor.

I wouldn’t waste my time going to the Ras Safari Bar. We rented a golf cart and made our way alllllllll the way down to it (it’s at the southern end of the island - like 5 miles or so down a very rough, very bumpy, sand/dirt road, with several very stinky, swampy, puddles of water that you must go through) just to find that it was an old, dilapidated hut with, what we call in the south "scrub-brush" all around it. It was closed, and looked like it had been closed for years. Wasted that golf cart rental money!

I can’t think of anything else I wanted to tell everyone, so I’ll wrap it up. In summary, Ramon’s Village was just what we were looking for and didn’t disappoint!

6  Thank SouthernBeachGirl
Reviewed July 7, 2011

This dive shp is THE BEST! Rick manages all requests and bookings very professionally. Tanks and equipment are in excellant shape - Milton sees to that! The boat captains and dive masters are supurb. Water entry and exit is made easy and attention is paid to every detail. These guys really know how to find and point out all marine life -big and small! I especially enjoyed my dives with Will, Palma and Rolando.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank Bernadette03
Reviewed June 30, 2011

if you want great dives and friendly and helpful staff, dive with Ramons. comfortable boats, beautiful dive sites. Boat captain Rolando will get you on and off the boat easily and provide a smooth ride. Divemasters Will and Palma are terrific.They are knowledgable and friendly and will point out all the great things under the sea.Rick, the manager runs a great shop with good tank fills and good rental equipment. Diving made easy! Make sure to say hi to Rugu who works behind the scean to ensure a great dive vacati

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed June 28, 2011

Ramon's is the most relaxing, comfortable vacation we have been on. The staff (especially Tony & Roberto) were the best. The whole staff (including Mr. Ramon himself) made you feel like you were part of their "family". Food was great (also ate at Fido's and it was good (ask for Martha). Blue Water Grill not up to all the raves we heard.
Back to Ramon's. Rooms were clean. Ours was a Beachfront Room and was 30 feet from water with a great view. Weather at that time was JUST RIGHT!. Town and beach were very safe at night. The locals were friendly and polite. We are ready to go back very soon. We also met the owners Einer and Steve at the restaraunt. Especially Einer Gomez (onsite owner) was very personable and always accessible. Every member of the staff, including the owners, made us feel like family and not a customer.

Reviewed June 20, 2011

Recently returned from a 5 day 4 night stay at Ramons Village. From the time we arrived until the time we left, the staff treated us VERY well! The room that we reserved was right on the beach and had a fantastic view. The food at Ramons was superb! The wait staff are very friendly and helpful. Joel was our favorite waiter. He always has a great attitude and is a funny guy! We ate most meals at Ramons but we did venture into town for a couple of lunch meals. Also, the Purple Parrot Bar within the resort is very nice as well. Tony was our server numerous times, and just like Joel, he always was positive and upbeat. As stated, the staff is very courteous and we will definitely be returning to Belize and without a doubt, we will be staying at Ramons!

Room Tip: Room 56 beach front has a great view!!!