We got married at the Mata Rocks Resort almost a year ago (time flies!!!) and had a great experience, however, I do have a few criticisms.
Our room was okay, nothing to write home about, but it was clean and there was air conditioning. I'm not sure what was going on with the bathrooms, but there was a distinct odor from the water when we used the shower or toliet. This might be an island wide problem though.
Before booking, I would call the resort and ask them for the best room view. I think it is Suite 3, but check before you book. The suite isn't really much more than a standard room exept it has a mini kitchen in it.
Not to sound like a whiner here, but the beach was not that great. I was told that because of the reef the shells do not really wash up on the sand. I was hoping to collect more shells. There also was a HUGE amount of seaweed on the beach. A problem that is apparent along the island and it wasn't the kind of beach I was picturing.
When we were there in Feb 2006, the "breakfast" wasn't very impressive. We had rolls (that looked and tasted like hot dog buns with sprinkles on top) , toast, some fruit and juice. If you're a big breakfast eater, don't rely on this as your meal. It's more of a snack. There are however, some great breakfast places just down the beach at the restaurants. I think it was Rauls, they have an outdoor patio that is gorgeous to eat breakfast on.
The wedding itself was a great experience. It was a day that we will never forget. If you are the type that needs to be in control of everything for your wedding, then this is not the place for you. We basically just had to show up and they took care of everything for us. The food buffett that the hotel arranged for us after our wedding was really good. It was the local food, so it is not Americanized.
I would recommend eating at Rauls and Fidos. I would also recommend taking a snorkeling trip and the day trip to Lamani, the Mayan ruins.
Thanks to Mata Rocks for a great wedding!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Intimate beachfront hotel providing personalized service in a casual atmosphere. Located one mile south of San Pedro on a beautiful sandy beach. All rooms and Jr. Suites have ocean views, A/C, cable TV, mini-fridges, coffeemakers, hair dryers, safes. Some rooms have kitchenettes. Complimentary continental breakfast, daytime use of bicycles, and taxi transfer upon arrival/departure are included in room rates. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Cancelon, getaroom.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Mata Rocks Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mata Rocks Hotel San Pedro
- Mata Rocks San Pedro
- Mata Rocks Resort Belize/San Pedro