“Simple and recommended”

Ranked #26 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Chicago, Illinois
“Simple and recommended”
Reviewed May 30, 2006

Mata Rocks is a simple, casual place. The standard pool rooms are perfect for 2. Air conditioned, great windows with cross breeze, fan. We had a tv that we never used. Rooms have a safe, closet, ample furniture, huge shower - s--- water pressure though!
The rooms are around the pool, which is small but there was no one using and the hotel was at capacity. I was a bit anxious being next to the pool for noise / privacy but the bar on the beach closes at 9pm so it is quiet. The office / bar / staff can all assist with activity planning if needed (we had a dive package) Fresh beach towels available, two hammocks, and several lawn chairs for lounging. Several bar stools, and regular beach chairs for relaxing. This is a simple decor resort and the beach area is not expansive but matches the guest ratio perfectly. This is on the south end of the island, 20 mins to the furthest north point. The beach area is quiet and not crowded like the north end. The south end is beachy, the north end is messy, busy with vendors, etc. The staff was polite and very helpful - many repeat guests were there. There is a dock for boats to pick up guests. It is safe to walk around the caye at night. Also, there is no restaurant onsite, but the bar has toast and fruit for breakfast, and several lunch items for purchase. The dining immediate in the area far exceeded expectations - meat was wonderful at El Divinos next door and Rico's two doors down had fresh Stone crab. I fully recommend this place and would return. After walking and visiting the other hotels, it confirmed that my research has never let me down!

• Stayed May 2006
7 Thank ms9

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 22, 2006

This place was terrible, where to begin first its just under a year since we were there and I am still fuming about the place. we requested a suite and got a room, when we asked what was up ?, the owners from my home town of north vancouver BC blew us off. Did not offer to refund us any money, oh but they did buy us a couple of beers because my wife had to use the faculities next door as they were reodeling the beach. and the workers were a tad on the rude and obnoxious side. wooo wooo. The lack of compensation and insincereity was beyond anything I have ever encountered. The only thing I can say about mata rocks that is even close to nice is that its realy close to RAMON'S stay there instead we did for our last twoo nights and what a difference it made.

• Stayed July 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 9, 2006

There was a great write up in our local newspaper in Pittsburgh, PA stating that "Mata Rocks is the best resort for your money" and it was! My husband and I would recommend Mata Rocks to anyone considering a trip to Belize. The staff went above and beyond to make our trip to Belize memorable for us. We highly recommend having the staff at Mata Rocks arrange a fishing trip to the reef where after you catch a few fish your guide will grill them for you on a private beach. It was by far the best seafood we have ever eaten! If you haven't been to Belize and you are considering going and staying at Mata Rocks - you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed May 2004
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
North Tonawanda NY
Reviewed April 26, 2006

After a week on the mainland of Belize, my husband and I spent four nights at Mata Rocks.
Let me begin by saying that from the beginning, one of the owners (Liz) was quick to respond to my e-mails and in answering my questions. She assisted in arranging inter-island flights and put me at ease.
The resort itself looks like a Greek resort;painted all white and glistening clean. You are taxied to the resort at the resort's expense and met by a kind office staff and a welcome drink.
The room was small but lovely. Refrigerators are in the rooms as well as a coffee maker. The resort serves a nice continental breakfast, a light lunch, and has by far the nicest happy hour and views of the sea.
As for Ambergris Caye itself, it was much too busy for us. But Mata Rocks is a bit off the beaten path. It is intimate and quiet. The owners are more than willing to sit down and speak with you.You doin't feel congested with resort after resort as if you had stayed right in San Pedro.
I did take a bike out our last day and went shopping downtown. I walked the beach. Too busy for me. I spoke with someone who stayed at Ramon's. He said you had to pay to rent a bike and the safety deposit boxes were plastic and unsafe. It was also in the heart of San Pedro near the airport and too busy. He loved the intimacy of Mata Rocks.
If you do decied to come to Ambergris, this is a good place to stay. Victoria House is large and expensive. They have no beach,either (You have to walk down a couple stairs to enter the water). Sure, you will need a taxi to get into town, but that is a small trade off for peace and quiet.
I wish I loved Ambergris Caye enough to go back. If I did, I would stay at Mata Rocks again with no question.
By the way, the snorkeling is better here than the mainland. The trip to Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley was too regimented for us. You have to stay with a group to snorkel! If you have the chance, get a trip with Tulu. He is a local and will take you out for the day at a much better price. He also took us to Caye Caulker. This caye is very quiet and quaint.
Jeanne and John Chiarmonte
North Tonawanda,NY

• Stayed April 2006
8 Thank Jeanne-Chiarmonte
atlanta,ga
Reviewed April 2, 2006

We just returned from a wonderful trip to Ambergris Caye, Belize. Had a great time snorkeling at Hol Chan, visting the Mayan ruins on the mainland, drinking lots of Belikin Beer and just enjoying the slow pace of life down in Belize.

As far as the resort is concerned, it had it's pros and cons.

I must say I was little disappointed after reading the other travelers reviews about Mata Rocks vs what we actually experienced there.

The good:

Extremely friend and helpful staff. A smiling face was always at the bar or in the front office waiting to make a drink or set up an excursion to the reef or mainland.

The palupa bar was convenient and a relaxing place to hang out. Nestled right on the beach, we enjoyed cocktails at happy hour and chatted with other guests. It's literally just a few yards from the blue water.

The hotel was convenient to town. Close enough to enjoy "downtown" San Pedro, but far enough to feel peaceful.

Lounge chairs, hammocks and bar stools were always available and you can enjoy the sun or shade with ease.

The not so good:

The stench from the toilet. For some reason, every time we flushed the toilet, we experienced one of the worst smells. What was going down was not nearly as bad as what was coming up! We complained and the staff said they would change the filter, but it really never completely solved the issue. Very disappointed here.

The "free" bikes. Ambergris is a great place to ride bikes on the beach. We had some great bike rides to the north and south parts of the island. However, the bikes that Mata Rocks provides with the room price are in really bad shape. Rusty chains, seats that won't go up or down, dried out tires and bikes that are too big for small to medium size people. We actually got a flat many miles away and had to walk back in the hot sun. If you choose to stay here, I suggest going to Joe's bike shop in town. His bikes are well maintained and he has many sizes to choose from. It was about $12 to rent two bikes for 3 hours and he's a friendly guy.

The pool is very small and is very cold.

In summary...

If we return return to Belize, I would make my plans elsewhere. We visited the Victoria House, which is much more upscale than Mata Rocks, but appears to be worth the extra money. We met a nice couple at the airport and they couldn't say enough about Victoria House. We dined at the restaurant on two of our five nights and it's spectacular. Must have the molten chocolate cake!

• Stayed March 2006
13 Thank djmikes1123
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed March 2, 2006

Arrived in Belize City with American Airlines and transferred by Tropic Air to San Pedro. Got a taxi along the bone jarring sandy streets to Mata Rocks (paid for by the hotel) and checked in with Monica who mans the office. My luggage was taken up to my room for me and I followed once check-in formalities were done.

Went immediately to the Squirrel's Nest bar for my free Rum Punch, and Charlene talked me through the orientation. As a guest, you don't have to pay at the bar for anything, it's all billed at the end of your stay. I went to the resort next door for dinner and had a nice meal!

Next morning I hit the bar for breakfast and had the sweet pastries and coffee. Very satisfying! I staked out a deck chair and enjoyed the view and the sun. Rather too much, as I was burned a deep red - I recommend sunscreen. Throughout the day I had various cocktails and for lunch two hot dogs. They also do gorgeous looking sandwiches. That night I ordered some food from Elvi's and it was a $5.00 (Belize money, so $2.50 US) cab charge on top. Delicious food!

Across the road is a store where I bought water, and a another place across the road does very cheap Internet access. The next day I stayed in with sun burn, but I did book a tour to the Lamanai Mayan Ruins for the day after. I had chicken from the Jamaican Jerk Pit delivered and it was an awesome meal.

At 7am the next day I got the boat from the hotel dock, and we had a great tour up the river to Bomba where we stopped to get our bus. Another river trip, and we were in Lamanai. Gorgeous ruins and a great guide! Back to the hotel and I ordered a pizza for dinner on my last night.

Charlene was my bartender most of the time and she is friendly and personable as all the staff are. The rooms were very clean, and the floors are washed daily (great for removing sand!). Criselda was the other bartender and she was excellent, as was my very friendly maid who cleaned the rooms. Monica was a fountain of information about the tours, and provided an excellent service throughout my stay.

Will I come back? Absolutely! Friendly staff, friendly guests to chat with, and a gorgeous place to stay. Can't recommend it enough!

• Stayed February 2006
12 Thank Trent N
Reviewed February 26, 2006

We just returned from our 2 week stay at Mata Rocks. I have never seen such a clean, clean, clean resort/hotel/motel. Just beautiful. Very small. Only 16 rooms. 6 of which are suites with small kitchen area, coffee pot w/morning coffee, micro, two burner stove, small fridge, sink and all your dishes, pots/pans. Clean, clean shower complete w/shampoo, conditioner, body wash dispenser. Nice surprise. All rooms are ocean view, two front suites are ocean front. We stayed in Suite 6, lower front room with balcony only 10 feet front ocean. Just awesome. Loved, loved, loved the place. Very quiet and personable. Charlene and Criselda work the on site beach bar serving lite snacks and drinks with happy hour every night at 6. 2 for 1 specials. FREE continental breakfast of fresh fruit(papaya, pineapple, melon, orange juice) Coffee, sweet rolls, toast. Just perfect. I purchased a dozen eggs across the street for $1.50 and scrambled them for hubby along with rolls, and toast. Cheap breakfast. Monica works the check -in desk. She'll call all of your contacts you pre-booked or she'll book your tours for you. Just great staff. Owners Terry and Liz with be there every evening to chat up with guests making sure your stay in enjoyable. Did I tell you how clean this place is. Free bikes to use for every guest. I recommend renting a golf cart for part of your stay to see the north end of the island. What a hoot. Banana Beach next door for a full killer breakfast. Tour ops with pick you up right in front of resort at their dock.

9 Thank margekar