“Great Stay! ”

Ranked #28 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada
“Great Stay! ”
Reviewed April 8, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for five days. It was just as we expected! The location was good, the beach was quiet and private. Staff was friendly and helpful. Breakfast was just right and the bar had really good drinks! If you're not wanting to go all out on a room but still want good amenities (a/c, pool, beach, cable with plenty of channels, free bike use, golf cart rentals on site) we would highly recommend!

Stayed April 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Valparaiso, Indiana
Reviewed April 3, 2014

As all of the other reviewers have said, the staff at Mata Rocks is great. They are extremely friendly and knowledgeable and will go out of their way to help. We really enjoyed talking to them at the bar/breakfast area. The rooms are small (especially the bathroom), but are you in Belize to stay in your room? Besides the staff, what impressed us the most was how really clean the entire area is. Every day staff was raking seaweed, cleaning pool area, and all other areas. Empty dishes and glasses were immediately whisked away. The location is very convenient for almost everything and quiet!! If do you do not want to walk to San Pedro along the beach, a taxi is only $5. We cannot wait to stay again.

Room Tip: Room 7 is too small for 4 people.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cyhurls
Lindenhurst, New York
Reviewed April 1, 2014

Upon arriving at Mata Rocks we were greeted by very polite and helpful staff. When asked if we were interested in any tours, I told them that I booked most of our trips prior to arrival. Not many smiles after that, with 30 years of travel under my belt, I know that networking and a few dollars, will direct business in a direction to benefit the staff. I was not upset with the temporary unhappiness of the staff, I know that a few extra dollars in their pockets goes a long way. We are very generous tippers which the staff soon came to realize. We plan our excursions to optimize our time not, to short change anyone. The better tour operators can be booked far in advance, and you can’t say “oh well maybe next time”. The breakfast was simple and served outside at the bar, there was fresh squeezed OJ every morning. My boys and I ate breakfast around the corner at a small restaurant it seemed the majority of other guests were smokers. We stayed in room 7, the room is really in some need of some updates, but we understand that tropical destinations are in constant need of maintenance, we focus on cleanliness and hospitality, both of which Mata Rocks does provide. There is not much of a beach at the hotel as told by other reviewers, but we did not spend our vacation at the hotel, we like to explore. Since our departure and arrival was shifted our last three nights were spent at an adjacent hotel. While at the other hotel I asked the staff at the front desk to please order wave runners for my family, she said I could use the phone in my room @ $1.26 per minute, I asked if she could make the call, and she said no. I walked back to Mata Rocks and asked Sheryl dean if she could make the call, she promptly picked up the phone and called. Those are the things that will bring me back to a hotel. For a family of four, room 7 is too small, if you have a group my size I would advise to find out if there are any larger rooms. The rooms are decent and the staff is hard working, and will help you with your needs.

Room Tip: There is a nice view of the ocean from room 7 but not much room for 4
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Scott B
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Mata Rocks is a small hotel south of San Pedro in a quiet neighborhood, with easy access to town and a dock where you can be picked up by boat for trips. Safes and refrigerators provided. Bikes are available to ride around the island and to the Mayan ruin of Marco Gonzalez. The small bar serves both continental breakfast and afternoon/evening drinks. The staff were very friendly and helpful with everything from recommendations for trips and meals as well as guest needs. We would go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
bedale
Reviewed March 16, 2014

Staff have worked there a long time so are very attentive as they must enjoy their work and be reasonably looked after to stay their so long and it shows, we had a balcony superior which was nice loads of room for the 2 of us, it also has a microwave, so I cheated at breakfast and took down scrambled eggs to have with the complimentary continental breakfast the hotel offers. The bar is quite Cody and everyone gets to chat, closes at 9pm though so great during the day and for pre dinner drinks, happy hour between 6 and 7pm. Free bicycles are available which is a very nice touch. Each room also has a diary or log book where guests could leave comments and advise on what to do or where to eat, it is a great idea to get actual guest reviews in room. Will definitely recommend Mata Rocks

Room Tip: If you can stretch to it get a balcony room, although pool sides are nice you are much more private...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Martyn M
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 5, 2014

This was our third trip to Belize and Mata Rocks in four years. It is refreshing to see the same friendly staff that we've come to know on a first name basis. The beachside location is a managable walk from town or you can grab one of the free bicycles or rent a golf cart if you are so inclined. Eustavio in the office will gladly set up any activity available from scuba diving, snorkeling with nurse sharks, cave tubing, myan ruins visits, sunset sailing ect.... that you may be interested in. One of the staff even gave me a fishing tip that allowed me to catch my first Tarpon from shore less than a 5 minute bike ride away (Thanks Kareem)
Sherilynn and Chriselda close the on site Tiki bar around 9:00pm ensuring you can get a good nights sleep for your next days adventure. If you want a little more night life a short walk down the beach you will find several beach bars that offer everything from a chcken drop, karoke, to live music. We have never felt unsafe on midnight strolls along the beach.
All in all Mata Rocks is a quaint, clean, quiet, comfortable base of operations for any Belizan adventures you may wish to activeties partake in.
P.S. My apologies to the staff I know I mispelled thier names, but wanted to recognize the individuals in appreciation for making our vacations memorable

Room Tip: Upper suites offer more space . Lower rooms are smaller, but poolside
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank wi_permagrin
Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Matarocks has its location going for it which is on the less noisy outskirts of San Pedro and on the beach. The hotel itself is a decent value for the money but nothing special. There is no restaurant on site, only a beach bar which also serves continental breakfast, consisting of inexpensive sweet rolls, fruit, coffee and juice. Luckily there a many restaurants in walking distance, including "The Bakery" for pastries and sandwiches and located on the street towards town. Matarocks' personnel tends to be helpful and friendly, however, I will probably chose a different location the next time on Ambergris Caye.

Room Tip: We booked last minute to copy the itinerary of a family member and got a corner room by the pool of...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple