“Luxury Casita steps from the water”

Matachica Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Chicago
“Luxury Casita steps from the water”
Reviewed December 1, 2010

We stayed here for 5 nights in a deluxe oceanfront casita named Peach. Huge room with separate bathroom, sitting areas and private porch with hammock. just 20 feet from your door into the ocean! Private airport pickup and drinks and champagne at our arrival.

A bit far north of town - but very helpful in boat schedules and coordinating trips into the city.

Great infinity pool - but set back from the water a bit and needs a bit more attention for drink service. Had to go in several times to request drinks - only a minor annoyance.

Restaurant is top notch and always had a variety for breakfast and dinner. Easy to organize excursions and fun hanging out in the lobby with others. Internet was so slow it was unusable - which ended up being a good thing!

Use of the mosquito netting is a must - make sure and bring bug spray too.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
Reviewed November 24, 2010

My wife and I went to Matachica for our anniversary and to celebrate her getting over an illness. Needless to say we were searching for a very special place. And we were not disappointed!

We were picked up in the resorts private yacht and were treated like royalty from the moment we were met. The resort was beautiful from the water and even better once we were on land. The staff could not have been nicer or more helpful. The lobby was very comfortable, and the bar right up our alley including a pool table. Our room was large and luxurious and there were hammocks everywhere you looked.

The food was delicious and the beach and pool great. The water in the ocean is crystal clear. The fact that the barrier reef is directly across from the resort let us kayak over and snorkel, although the best snorkeling was on a day trip Matachica arranged. We saw sharks, jelly fish and eels along with the rest of the reef.

We are active and the bicycles on the sand was enough exercise for both of us. I don't want to ramble on, but for us the stay was fantastic, I would definitely go there again and I would recommend the resort to anyone interested in getting away in luxury.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank halthouse1
Reviewed November 21, 2010

My husband and I are just back from a week at Matachica and we wished we could have stayed longer. The accommodations are wonderful and the setting is spectacular. Just a few step outside your beachfront cottage and you are in the Caribbean Sea. The staff is friendly and attentive and knew us be name by the end of the first day. The food is terrific and there is much to do and a gorgeous beach and beautiful pool to lie around and do nothing as well. We cannot wait to return.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed November 8, 2010

My husband and I stayed at Matachica for our honeymoon in August and it was perfect! We stayed in Pineapple, one of the beachfront casitas. We chose matachica because of all the rave reviews on tripadvisor and we loved the idea of having our own casita on the beach. The food at the mambo restaurant was fabulous! We chose the honeymoon package and the dinner that was included (appetizer, meal, dessert & wine) was more food than we could eat! I was worried that we would grow tired of eating at the same restaurant but we never did, we tried almost everything on the menu. We ate two dinners away from the resort, one at Wild Mangos in San Pedro which i definitely recommend and the other at Portofino which was ok, but not as good as Mambo.
Our package came with a couples massage that we booked for the first day and it was so relaxing we ended up scheduling another for the last day of our trip!
We took quite a few day trips and they were all great, but our favorite by far was a private fishing/snorkeling charter. It even included a private beach picnic! Matachica is great, they will work with you to plan any type of excursion you want to do. The staff is very flexible and willing to accomodate.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 8, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed at Matachica for 2 days and had the most wonderful time. Matachica is 5 miles north of San Pedro, and you get back and forth via water taxi. While when I was booking the trip, I wasn't sure if I wanted to be that far away from San Pedro, when we arrived, I was so glad that we were away from San Pedro, which was way too touristy for my tastes. Once my boyfriend and I got to Matachica we stayed and didn't go anywhere else. It was so peaceful and relaxing there. Also, they upgraded us to a larger cabana with a hammock that was right on the beach with an unobstructed view of the ocean. They had kayaks and snorkel gear for us to use, and there was also a salt water pool that had an iguana that lives nearby. Please do yourselves a favor and go to this place.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
Reviewed October 12, 2010

We completely enjoyed our stay at Matachica. Our time was spent mostly relaxing on the beach, on our porch or by the pool - exactly what we wanted! It was a great place to unwind and enjoy eachother. The spa is fantastic - one of the best massages I have ever had!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
PA
Reviewed August 30, 2010

I found a few photos of this resort on the conde nast website, and fell in love with the decor of this beautiful resort. I didn't know much about Belize, and once I decided that Matachica needs to be one of our destinations, we decided to book our trip from 3 nights and make it 8 nights! We arrived to Matachica in the middle of our trip coming from Cayo, and i was sooo excited to see what it really looked like! it was just as I imagined it! sooo beautiful, very beautiful decor, Moroccan influence. We got upgraded to an ocean bungalow suite!! Wow, just amazing!! thank you!! it was the tangerine room.. I loved it, it was our honeymoon after a yr of marriage and they made it sooo special. Unfortunately, the weather during our stay wasn't the best, but we still enjoyed the property, music and just relaxing. The water wasn't too pretty, since there was soo much seeweed. I would definitely come back, but will want to stay more than 3-4 nights. We didn't get to spend much time in San Pedro downtown, and I know it's great time there!

Love it! thank you!!