First, let me say I want to echo all of the posative reviews on this forum. The resort was amazing and the staff treated us like royalty. Our room was beautiful and romantic. Unfortunately, there was not a lot of romance that actually happened in that room because of the air conditioning situation.
The casitas don't have glass windows, they have screens and wood shutters and a thatch roof, which don't completely seal off the room to keep the AC in. Then, the bathroom is enclosed only by wood blinds, but there's no way to close those windows so even though we blasted the air conditioning unit at night, the room never really got cool and it stayed very humid.
We probably would have stayed cooler if we'd opened the shutters and let the sea breeze blow through like most of our fellow guests, but my husband is a hard core air conditioning man, he wanted a respite from the humidity. There are many resorts we considered for this trip and his only stipulation was that he needed air conditioning at night. I felt really bad that I let him down in that sense, he barely slept the whole time we were there, so I don't want anyone else to make the same mistake. You can't really tell how the AC doesn't stand a chance of doing any good until you see the room in person, but frankly, the rustic construction is part of the resort's charm.
So if AC isn't important to you, make Matachica your first choice, hands down. It wasn't a huge deal for me and I adored the resort, but was bummed that my husband was so uncomfortable. If you require it to sleep comfortably, do not stay here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Matachica Resort & Spa is an extraordinary, secluded and peaceful resort that sits on the beach facing the Caribbean Sea and the second largest barrier reef on the planet earth. The resort has 27 single unit casitas, each air conditioned with private porch. All rooms except SeaView Cabanas have one king sized bed, SeaView Cabanas have two queens. We also have one two-bedroomm 2-bathroom SeaBreeze Villa. All with beautiful Frette and Matouk linens, and exquisite decor. Swimming pool, Jacuzzi, spa, small gym, sea kayaks, snorkel gear, pedal boats, paddle boards, bicycles, complimentary internet access. A minimum age requirement of 14 years for children applies. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, getaroom.com, Cheap Tickets and TripOnline SA so you can book your Matachica Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Matachica Beach Hotel San Pedro
- Matachica Beach San Pedro
- Matachica Resort & Spa Belize/San Pedro