“Exceeded All Expectations Except for Air Conditioning”

Matachica Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed May 10, 2010

First, let me say I want to echo all of the posative reviews on this forum. The resort was amazing and the staff treated us like royalty. Our room was beautiful and romantic. Unfortunately, there was not a lot of romance that actually happened in that room because of the air conditioning situation.

The casitas don't have glass windows, they have screens and wood shutters and a thatch roof, which don't completely seal off the room to keep the AC in. Then, the bathroom is enclosed only by wood blinds, but there's no way to close those windows so even though we blasted the air conditioning unit at night, the room never really got cool and it stayed very humid.

We probably would have stayed cooler if we'd opened the shutters and let the sea breeze blow through like most of our fellow guests, but my husband is a hard core air conditioning man, he wanted a respite from the humidity. There are many resorts we considered for this trip and his only stipulation was that he needed air conditioning at night. I felt really bad that I let him down in that sense, he barely slept the whole time we were there, so I don't want anyone else to make the same mistake. You can't really tell how the AC doesn't stand a chance of doing any good until you see the room in person, but frankly, the rustic construction is part of the resort's charm.

So if AC isn't important to you, make Matachica your first choice, hands down. It wasn't a huge deal for me and I adored the resort, but was bummed that my husband was so uncomfortable. If you require it to sleep comfortably, do not stay here.

Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank longhornkelly
Matachica, Owner at Matachica Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2010

I was so pleased to hear that you enjoyed Matachica as much as you did, yet was terribly disappointed that your husband was not satisfied with the air conditioning. I wish we had been informed during your stay- we surely would have found a solution.

I can only affirm that each of our rooms is equipped with a Carrier Air Conditioner, with a minimum of 24,000 BTU'S of output- significantly exceeding recommended standards. While it is true that our casitas are thatched and might allow some loss of cool air, the vast majority of our guests find the rooms perfectly comfortable to enjoy.

While they might not be as cold as a sealed North American hotel room, they certainly provide the comfort that most of us are looking for.

Again, I am so sorry that your husband was unhappy with the AC but I am pleased that your overall experience with Matachica was as wonderful as it seems to have been.

Hope to see you again soon!

Daniel Lighter, Owner

Reviewed April 20, 2010

My wife and I went to Chan Chich Lodge in NW Belize for 4 nights before flying into San Pedro and taking the water taxi to N. Ambergris Caye to Mata Chica for 4 nights.
We had a very nice stay, overall. The food was very good and service was good.
We picked up a virus at Chan Chich, along with a few others-it lasted two days of diarrhea and chills. One we got home, we realized it was probably a norovirus, formerly called "Norwalk virus", i.e., the cruise ship illness. Although my wife missed a day in bed, I did not try to miss anything. After birding and touring from sun up to sun down at Chan Chich with the virus symptoms, it was time for a full day of recuperation in the shade along the beach at Mata Chica. There is no other place I would rather have been.
Finally, we got better and were ready for the Whole Red Snapper. One of the waitresses took special interest in the well being of my sick wife, calling her affectionately, "Miss Katie",which she liked. The food was good, the bar is a rum bar (they didn't have Cachaca, so no Caipirinha's), they bring drinks to you on the beach, etc.
We had a sea breeze casita, and it was further back from the beach than we thought, but, still within 120 yards or so. It was very peaceful. I would go there again.
We used the kayaks and snorkeled the reef. I sailed one of the small sail boats. We went snorkeling and diving (me) at Chan Hol Marine preserve (10 minute boat ride), which was one of the best animal dives I have had . Even snorkelers all saw the same things we did on this shallow reef (25' max.)-10 or more Spotted Eagle Rays, Loggerhead Turtles, and large Moray Eels, along with a huge number and variety of reef fish, including some large jacks, grouper and two adult Tarpon!
We did the Shark-Ray Alley snorkel trip and saw lots of both!
There is sea grass off shore, if you want a pure white, lifeless and sanitized Mexican or Bahamian beach, this is not your place. They clean the beach -it is quite nice-with it comes nature and lots of life-tide pools-starfish, 200 Bonefish in a school, sting rays, needle fish and baby Barracuda, and Permit. I went fisthing with a guide and caught Bonefish on light tackle and a fly rod all morning our last full day.
Mata Chica is expanding, and adding another 5 beachfront and probably more casitas.
We never heard the construction noise reported by others, maybe a timing thing.
The hotel and restaurant are clean, the internet room very nice with two pc's, and the food and desk service very good.
We chose not to stick with the meal plan, as we wanted to experience some different food styles and places to eat while there. This was a wise choice-nothing to knock the great food here.
We ate also at Portofino's (they pick you up in their boat for a dinner reservation), which is about a mile north. It was very good. No complaints, except that you must stop post-dinner chit-chat and hurry off to the boat when it arrives, on their schedule, not your own.

We kept seeing a sign two doors to the south along the beach "Rojo", and kept joking about it while recuperating on the beachfront. Finally shaking the stomach virus, we had the most fantastic lunch at the Rojo Lounge. They not only had cachaca, but, two different types of caipirinha. I had both for lunch, along with conch fritters, (a Cuban for my wife, yes, the sandwich, silly) and the most fantastic item I have had in a long time-a jumbo shrimp crusted with green plantains, with a chili sauce and spicy remoulade! We got the recipe, too. You will find many other unique blends of caribbean, belizean, cajun, and just whatever seems to work best. You can get and share small plates, ala tapus. You can get a huge piece of fish if you want. All very stylistic and unique dishes.
You could eat and drink here every week and not get bored. Get dinner reservations, as people come here exclusively due to a growing reputation.
They have a great thing going with the restaurant, the bar, and the very high class (out of our price range) and small resort, Azul. They also have a small Rojo market between the bar and the open kitchen (watch them cook if you want) that features unique and hard to get and unique food items. I would want a place like this in my neighborhood if I lived there.
We are definitely Rojo fans now -we found a website ;

If I were coming to Belize and not having the "scuba diver's disease" where one has to stay out on the Atool to go to the blue hole, I would come to Mata Chica and N. Ambergris Caye for sure.
It was a very welcome respite after the jungle, and jungle first is definitely the way to do it!

1  Thank JKbirder
Reviewed April 19, 2010

We have travelled all over the Caribbean in the past 25 or so years: ranging from renting houses in St. Barths and St. John, to staying in very small hotels on islands such Palm or Carriacou (1995). We had not traveled in Central America until this trip. For us it is often the case that after a few nights in any particular place we find ourselves thinking of ways things could be improved, but at Mata Chica we would have changed very little, and we had a wonderful time. Overall I think it is the staff that makes this resort happen from moment to moment (we were pleased by the fast, knowledgeable, and honest service we received in Belize), but as accomplished and critical cooks we thoroughly enjoyed the food here (often sharing apps and a main at lunch and dinner; for mid-day try their Fish & Chips, with a Belikin beer: I wish I could right now), the ability to take a 12 minute kayak paddle from the beach to a reasonably good shallow snorkeling reef, the assortment of afternoon or day trips available to guests, and the quietness of the resort. We enjoyed meeting other travelers, and sometimes invited others to our table, as well. Note that the water at the beach is shallow; swimming is best from the end of the dock. New casitas, and a larger pool were under construction during our February stay, and might be available by now. This is the first review we've written. Hope you have as good a time as we did!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank clampasta
Reviewed April 5, 2010

We recently returned from a fabulous vacation at Matachica Resort in Belize. The accomodations were excellent, food was superb, and the staff was top notch. There was not a thing we would have wish differently on this holiday. From our greeting on the beach, to the awaiting cocktails as soon as we arrived, from start to finish was wonderful. I would highly recommend this resort, which was geared more for adults than small children to anyone. We will return and enjoy the Belizean hospitality as soon as we can....many thanks Matachica for a vacation to remember!

1  Thank scubachef5
Reviewed March 27, 2010

This was our first but not our last trip to Belize. And when we go back we will definitely return to Matachica.
This resort is very sweet. We had a Beach front Casita which I definitely recommend. Yes, we did experience some wind but it was not awful. But being able to walk right out to the beach was amazing.
This resort is very relaxed. The staff was sweet and attentive. The food was good but not great but we ate most of our meals there over a four day period. Other restaurants can be reached by waking or taking a short boat ride.
The killer was that you could kayak out to the reef and snorkel. The area around the reef is shallow and you can stand up in it. Really beautiful coral and fish.
The other guest were very nice and friendly.

Reviewed March 21, 2010

We (my spouse and I, and my son and his spouse) stayed in the Mata Chica for 3 nights in the "villa" (mammae). Rooms were a mixture of tropical adventure and modern comfort. Staff is very helpful, friendly and professional. Meals were not at the Michelin star level, but were fresh, tasteful and reasonably priced. Nice choice of wines from all over the world. No extra charges for things such as towels on the beach, long chairs, water sports and shuttle service, and very well organized transportation from and to the airport. And always big smiles around.
Dennis and family (Belgium)

Reviewed March 17, 2010

This is a perfect place for getting away from it all. No t.v.s, newspapers, or telephones.
The staff is outstanding. We were all the way to the airport when we discovered that we had left our passports in the safe in our room. We called the front desk and they had our passports transported (by boat) to the airport within the hour. I would highly recommend this resort to people who want a peaceful vacation.