“If you want to experience tropical paradise this is the place”

Matachica Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed May 27, 2009

I spent 5 glorious nights at Matachica and have been yearning to go back. The hotel was worth the trip from New York. I was worried about 3 planes and a boat to get to the hotel, but it was worth the trip. My handmade Mojito was waiting for me upon my arrival and my stay was relaxing and rejuvenating at the same time. The food is delicious, no matter what you order. The chocolate souffle is a must. The Tropical Island atmosphere entices you to shed your shoes and worries upon arrival. I will never forget my heavenly massage given by Louisa. I was massaged into unconsciousness. The staff was so friendly. My husband and I look forward to returning.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Matachica Resort & Spa

Reviewed May 27, 2009

How does a place this beautiful exist? Matachica is TRULY a gem of a resort – magical, intimate, top-notch service and top notch style. My husband and I have never stayed at a place that has left us reeling in such delight! We will never even think of staying anywhere else when we return to Belize and are planning on returning for many of our wedding anniversaries to come.
We LOVED the fact that Matachica was secluded from the bustle of town – in fact, we went into town one afternoon and were ready to go back to our haven within an hour of walking around the hot-hot-hot streets that didn’t really offer much excepted overpriced suntan lotion (Claire, I’m sooo sorry about that!). We never had any reason to leave Matachica. In addition to the beautiful beachfront casitas, lazy hammocks, and excellent cuisine, one of our favorite aspects of the resorts was its close proximity to Rojo Lounge. We had a wonderful time getting to know the staff there while dining on fantastic plates and drinking those unbelievable blended mojitos. Between Rojo and Mambo, we ate some of the best food – maybe ever! Between the service and the staff and the good vibes spread around by all, we never wanted to leave our little slice of paradise.

We can’t wait to go back. Thanks to the wonderful staff of Matachica for an amazing, amazing experience! It and you will forever have place in our hearts. You have that special of resort.

Reviewed May 21, 2009

My husband and I just returned from our honeymoon at Matachica on Monday, 5/11/09. It was absolutely the best week of our lives and perfect for our honeymoon! We stayed in a beachfront casita, which was like having our own little beach house in paradise. There are only 12 rooms at Matachica and we probably saw no more than 15 people at the resort the entire time we were there, which we were very happy about after a week of wedding-madness! :) At times, We felt like we were the only ones on the island besides the staff. The food at the restaurant (Mambo) was amazing! I LOVED their homemade bread! We also ate at other restaurants in San Pedro and other parts of the island....everything was delicious, but, our favorite meal was at Mambo. But, I have to say, I was happy that we DID go to other places just for a little variety.

Several times we took the sea kayaks out to the barrier reef (only 1/2 mile from resort) and snorkeled. But, if you wanted to, you could go on other excursions away from the resort.

The spa was also fantastic! I had a massage and a facial...I highly recommend both!

I cannot say enough about Matachica!!! We LOVED, LOVED, LOVED it and cannot wait to go back! So, If you're thinking of going and want nothing but pure relaxation, amazing food and service in peaceful, paradise surroundings, you won't be sorry!

Reviewed May 21, 2009

I loved our stay at Matachica! It was the second resort on our honeymoon and my spouse and I agreed that we would go back to Matachica in a heartbeat. The rooms were comfortable and clean and the staff was amazing. The linens on the bed were so comfortable that it was hard to come home to our plain old bed. Plus, they have the best food on the island. I'm sure we'll be back for our anniversary!

Reviewed May 19, 2009

We stayed at Matachica for a full week on the honeymoon package, although we were celebrating our 5th wedding anniversary :-) I would absolutely recommend the resort for any couple looking for a combination of luxurious comfort, adventure and relaxation. We'd love to go back!
Things we loved (and there were many this is just the list that's top of mind!):
1. The staff--absolutely everyone went out of their way to be helpful and engaging. For example, I'm a mosquito magnet and while almost no one else in the resort was bothered. Not only did they pull our the resort's personal can of Off whenever I approached they also tracked down some itch cream. Almost every member of the staff was incredibly friendly--always asking us about our day and what we liked about whatever adventure we'd taken.
2. The adventures. The boat ride from the airport to the resort definitely set the tone for a week of water adventure. Don't miss the cave tubing/zip line adventure!
3. The package--buying the package which included meals and several excursions in advance kept us from feeling nickel and dimed and took the anxiety out of sitting down to dinner and debating whether we should get a bottle or a couple of glasses of wine.
4. The Frette Sheets
5. The location--town is not a place you want to hang out for more than few hours. It's a bunch of plastic table cloth restaurants and souvenir shops. Being at Matachica meant we felt like we had a very private, very exclusive vacation. On the downside, it was a little quiet at night but after a day on tours and filled with activity that felt right for us.
6. The tile in the Lime Casita bathroom
7. The tour companies--Searious and Seaduced. Both fabulous. Both provided incredibly entertaining and educational days capped off with ice cold beer and rum punch.
8. The food--always hot which is a peeve of mind! And delicious too--especially the scallops, gazpacho and chocolate soufflé.
9. Oswald's skinny margarita--just like I liked it, all real lemon juice, tequila and triple sec. Pure and yummy.
10. Scrabble! The resort had games and current books avail for everyone to share. Great way to settle in to a cocktail before dinner.

Things I'd recommend improving
1. Access to the equipment--often we didn't get back until 6 from our adventures and we wanted to hop on a bike or in a kayak to cap off the day. The folks at the hut always accommodated us but we were told that usually none of the equipment is available after 5 pm. Makes no sense--if it's included, it should be available.
2. Preparation for the activities--would have been great to get recommendations on what we needed to take on each of the excursions that we selected through the resort. For example, it would have been helpful to know to take shoes with a strap for zip lining and a towel and change of clothes for cave tubing.
3. Really more for the tour companies but I have nothing nice to say about Marumba the resort we visited on the jungle tour/Mayan ruins day. It's incredibly cheesy and while we only stopped for lunch and a swim, the food was mediocre and the pool was in desperate need of repair. We snuck off to the "guest only" pool which was marginally better but still not nice compared to Matachica.
4. The wine list--I understand that there are heavy taxes on wine and the cost of transport is high, but I recognized most of the bottles that were around $35 at Matachica as bottles I could get for about $10 in the US. There are soooooo many fabulous bottles of $10 wines that are accessible and the wines on the list were simply not great. As someone pointed out to me, I didn't go to Belize for the wine which is true. But feels like given the caliber of the restaurant, the list could use some work.
5. Needs a ftness room--nothing fancy, but I expect to be able to work out on vacation! Just a simple room with a treadmill, an elliptical, a bike and some mats and weights (oh and ac). We swam in the pool but it's not the same.

Reviewed May 11, 2009

I literally cannot say enough wonderful things about Matachica -- where do I even begin??? First and foremost -- the resort speaks for itself! Its just breathtaking -- very low key meets luxury. The lovely staff at Matachica made our stay the most memorable vacation of a lifetime....
We truly cannot wait to go back, every single thing about this place is magical. The location to San Pedro (10 min boat ride) - the spectacular food at Mambo, you name it! Hop on a complimentary Sea Kayak and your moments from the barrier reef....

Amazing, Magical -- MUST MUST MUST see. The experience you will get from Matachica is something you can't quiet put into words...I'm very picky and Matachica was hands down the best vacation destination i have EVER been to !!! we can't wait to go back!

MISS EVERYONE THERE!!!!!

Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ntbranca
Reviewed April 8, 2009

Beachfront casita we stayed in was excellent. The staff was five star in every way. It felt a bit like "paradise". We were well taken care of in a very relaxed and Belizian way. Thoroughly enjoyed the snorkeling, biking on the beach, swimming off the dock, walking the beach, leisurely time at the pool and reading on our own private chaise lounge. Perfect place for a couple that wants to get away from it all with each other. We were celebrating our 30th anniversary and Matachica will be a wonderful memory of our celebration. We plan to return in the future.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple