“A beautiful, relaxing paradise”

Matachica Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
mbasu
“A beautiful, relaxing paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2009

The service, decor, food and ambiance of Matachica are downright dreamy. While its a 10 minute boat ride from San Pedro (wouldn't recommend this place if you're looking to party every night), the resort was absolutely gorgeous. We had a private cabana/casita, with fresh flower petals strewn on the bed and right on the beach. The resort restaurant is delicious and reasonably priced. Continental breakfast, kayaks, snorkel gear and lazing on a beautiful hammock are all included. Great honeymoon destination!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2009

Loved every minute of it. Great Resort in a great location with great facilities and really really friendly and helpful staff.

San Fran
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2009

We travel to many places around the world and this was one of the best trips we have taken in years – we truly felt like we had a vacation far removed from home!! I had the same positive experiences as others who have posted – and no negative experiences.

From the very moment we landed on Ambergris Caye we were treated with utmost care. We were met at the airstrip by the boat captain for Matachica Resort who made sure our arrival was stress free. He immediately lightened our load of luggage and refused our offer to help carry it stating “Relax, you are on vacation.” Once we were on Matachica’s boat, our drink order was taken and off we went. It is a short 15 minute ride to the resort. We were greeted by Matachica staff who immediately took our luggage and guided us to check-in and our cold drink!!

We stayed in the grape room - The room and grounds were exquisite. The staff kept the grounds extremely clean, which is truly a task when dealing w/ so much sand!! Some reviewers had noted in the past that the curtains in the bathrooms were less than private, I am pleased to update that new blinds were installed in the bathrooms while we were there. I have included pictures.

Throughout our stay EVERYONE at Matachica, from the staff at the front desk, restaurant and the girls who kept our rooms clean were extremely courteous and pleasant. We were always greeted with a smile!! My husband and I continually remarked how nice EVERYONE was. The food was great as was the food next door at Rojo’s/Azul. We also enjoyed Caliente’s in town, it was the best Mexican food!! They do have computers to access the internet and we were able to access wi-fi from our room.

We truly felt like we were away from home and the atmosphere forced you to RELAX. I don’t think I have ever had a more relaxing vacation. I loved the fact that we were removed from town; we could go if we wanted but we were not inundated w/ tourist life. If we wanted to go to town or on a tour, the front desk always arranged it for us from scuba diving trips, to a jungle tour. There were kayaks to go snorkeling, the reef off the hotel is great, I have included pix of the reef and from some of our scuba trips. Turneff Atolls is certainly worth the 5am wake up call for divers!!! We did most of our diving w/ Belize Academy of Diving and would definitely dive with them again!

This staff certainly earned the 15% gratuity assessed during your stay and in fact we tipped additional because they truly went the extra mile to ensure our trip was enjoyable.

I would like to provide a special mention to:
• Anita - who ALWAYS greeted me by name and with a smile
• Burga - who corresponded w/ me via e-mail prior to our trip and even arranged the short flight from Belize City to Ambergris Cay when we forgot to book it!!
AND to the rest of the staff, whose names escape me :-)

We will definitely visit Matachica again.

New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2009

From the moment Captain Chris met us to take us by sea to the resort - we knew we were going to completely escape for six days. The resort sits north of san pedro town and the only access is by sea. The second largest barrier reef in the world is a short kayak ride away from your casita. The location is perfect for water activities of all kinds - sailing, snorkeling, diving in some of the best reef formations in the world. The sport fishing is legendary - and and when you are waterlogged you can head inland on a trip to explore Mayan ruins. After an exhausting day of diving or doing nothing, the staff cares for you like you are family. Every night we ate fresh local food prepared exquisitely in the hotel's restaurant - which gets a lot of traffic from folks staying at other resorts. The fish, chicken and pork are all exceptional.
The guests all stay in private casitas (book the beachfront casitas if you can) with bath and living area - and a private hammock and beach chairs. While there are other guests there - you feel completely alone most of the time. We sat out on the dock for sunrise and on the beach chairs to watch the full moon come up and we couldn't have been more relaxed.
The attractions are the scenary and activities - and your travel companion. There are no phones, no TV, only two computers in the main building, and not a lot of 'action.' That's what we wanted. It's heavenly for two people in love - would be purgatory if you are not getting along with your partner or get seasick - since the only way to get to matachica is by sea. Keep that in mind - and have a great trip.

Pittsburgh, PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2009

For me, Matachica could have been perfect. Great location, beautiful facilities... but the service left a lot to be desired.

The start was certainly promising, as airport pickup/check-in couldn't have gone any smoother. In fact, our whole first day was really pretty great.

The trouble came the next 2 days, as the service really worsened. I don't know if they were short-staffed, or if the managers weren't there(we noticed that things seemed to go much more smoothly when Oswalt was at the bar, or one manager [didn't catch his name, but he didn't wear a uniform, which led me to believe he was in charge] were around), but suddenly everything became a chore. Getting a beach towel became a 45 minute ordeal (this happened to me me 3 different times, and I heard other guests grumbling about it), the bar was often unmanned, and the general feeling among given from some (certainly not all) of the staff was that helping the guests was a real inconvenience for them. Beer bottles and cocktail glasses from the night before were on the dock until midday. We'd reserved a snorkeling trip on day 1 for day 3; 2 hours before we were set to leave, I went to the front desk to confirm (by the way, we'd been hanging around the lobby all morning), and the gentleman said, "Oh, you're the only ones, so we can't take you. I guess I could call around and see if someone else can take you." We ended up having to reschedule to the next day.

Also, the restaurant was pretty good, but very over-priced.

So, in summation, beautiful property with very inconsistent service. Maybe they're resting on their laurels, or maybe we caught them on a bad stretch. And it's not like anything horrific happened; it's just we were expecting more from such a ballyhooed property.

2 Thank rwtrum0
Matachica, Owner at Matachica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 2, 2009
As the owner of Matachica I was certainly concerned with your disappointment with your experience at the resort. We pride ourselves on our service and take our guest's reviews VERY seriously. Please be assured that I have begun an immediate and comprehensive investigation of your complaints in order to ensure that any weakness in service experienced during your visit is corrected. No excuses but rather commitment to the top flight service that makes Matachica so special.

Daniel Lighter, Owner.
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2009

My girlfriend and I cannot say enough about the exquisite comfort, service and surroundings of the Matachica resort on Ambergris Cay. From the water taxi ride from San Pedro, we were greeted with pre-ordered cocktails of our choice upon arrival and given a friendly, laid back tour of the intimate complex. Talk about Fantasy Island. Staff greeted us with warm smiles and open arms and management personally went out of their way to make us feel welcome. Luggage magically appeared in our colorful casita which was elegantly appointed; Island local flair meets upscale chique. The restaurant was top shelf, the hot tub overlooking the view was sublime and the perfectly manicured white sand beaches were heavenly. Be prepared to be off the grid. No room phones or TV and internet access only in the lobby and entertainment center. But this is exactly what WE wanted! Everyone felt like family by the end of the week, but in a totally non-invasive, chilled out way. Even the music in the lobby and dining room at night was excellent. Props to management for their cool lounge stylings and overall, calming and intimate experience. We loved Matachica!

• Liked — Relaxed cool atmosphere. Island time.
  • Disliked — No complaints
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank daveyhj
Boston, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2009

Just got back from our 8 day honeymoon at Matachica. I won't repeat what everyone else has said, but just want to let you all know that if you are going to Belize or going on your honeymoon...definately go to Matachica! It is wonderfully relaxing, remote and beautiful. Everything is first class! We stayed in the new pomegranite room which...although its set back from the water...is lovely. We did the Hol Chan snorkeling with Chris...which was awesome. He showed us the moray eel, sea turtles and even got us close enough to a nurse shark and some rays to touch them. We also did the Altan Ha ruins trip which i thought was lame, but my husband liked alot. It takes an hour on the boat and then another hour on a bus to get to the ruins. Then when you get there, the site is packed with cruise ship passengers and our guide (while friendly enough) didn't seem to know all the much about the history. We spent about 30 minutes at the ruins and were then ushered to a "jungle spa" for lunch and a relaxing time at the pool and mineral hot tub. The lunch was fine, but the pool was cold and the hot tub too hot and neither were as nice as the facilities at Matachica.

We made the mistake of booking the honeymoon package which I DO NOT recommend. Its no deal, in fact, its incredibly overpriced and it requires you to eat every breakfast and dinner at their restaurant, Mambo and on their timetable. Now don't get me wrong, the restaurant is excellent, but I got bored with it after a few nights and frankly I just cant eat a rich appetizer, entree, dessert and 1/2 a bottle of wine every night. Plus, I wanted to check out the other restaurants in the area which we couldn't do since we were locked into the Matachica meal plan. All rooms come with a hearty continental breakfast which is lovely. The honeymoon package comes with an american breakfast which was unnecessary in my opinion. After 3 days we realized we were never going to spend the approx $250 per day that the honeymoon package breaks down to and we tried to get out of it, but they wouldn't let us. We also tried to swap out the Altan Ha ruins trip with other trips, but they were going to make us pay an additional fee. They were very unclear about what came with the honeymoon package, which wines were included. etc. So I'm hoping you all learn from my - very expensive - mistake and do not commit to the package.

Just a few more things, I'm from boston and have had massages by the best of the newbury street spas. But i got the best massage of my life from Flor at Matachica. Maybe it was the warm tropical air, maybe it was the wonderful smelling rubs, maybe it was her fluid technique...i dont know....but I would go back there just for that massage. dont skip it!

Finally, review your final invoice carefully. All meals and drinks are written up by hand and then calculated at the end of your stay. We found several errors and overcharges on ours - i dont think it was intentional, but just pay close attention to what your ordering and paying for.

• Liked — The beautiful casitas, the ambiance, the privacy, the lack of annoying children
  • Disliked — That we were locked into an overpriced
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Krista316