“Paradise!”

Ranked #9 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
South Windsor, Connecticut
“Paradise!”
Reviewed June 23, 2014

I was looking for a special place to celebrate my 50th birthday and Matachica delivered in a VERY big way. The setting is completely outstanding. The beachfront casitas are even more beautiful in person than in the photos. They are very private and amazingly clean despite all the sand. An incredibly romantic setting. The staff was SO attentive. From the minute you arrive and are handed your first cocktail, they know your name and which casita is yours. I can't say enough about the service provided. The last night we were there the power went out. Dinner was served without skipping a beat to a packed room by candlelight. We ate many meals at the restaurant both because it was convenient and because the food was quite good. Since the resort is so small and there is a smallish group of people, we got to know a lot of nice folks. If you are looking for something special, this is the place!

Room Tip: The casitas facing the water are so special but the sound of the surf and occasional wind might be q...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jackie R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
North Vancouver
Reviewed June 23, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here as part of the reef and rainforest honeymoon package. Although the weather wasn't ideal, we had an amazing time. We were free to use their kayaks, paddle boats and stand up paddle boards to explore the reef that was less than 1 km from shore. The crystal clear water was as warm as any I have ever felt. The reef was teeming with wildlife to explore with our snorkel gear, also provided by the resort.

Our beachfront casita was nice and cool and comfortable. Our front doors opened onto our own little patio with a hammock. We spent some time on the dock on the lounge chairs.

We came from New Orleans on our first leg of the trip, so we passed on the drinks this time. They were expensive, but like I said we weren't in the mood for drinking anyhow. The food on the other hand was delicious!! The owner David was there and we spoke to him at length. He told us he brings the chocolate for their desserts on his carry-on luggage from Montreal. It's worth it because the desserts are so delicious.

The staff are amazingly friendly and accommodating. Special shout out to Paola!

• Stayed December 2013
3 Thank davedh1987
Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

The resort was amazing! The staff were really friendly and helpful. We were at the beachside casita and the room was beautiful.

We did the snorkeling tour with the resort and that was awesome!

The restaurant was okay but the food in town was so much better.
We took advantage of the boat rides into town few times and ate lunch there. Wished they had burgers and better snacks by the pool. Although the guacamole is excellent!

Overall this resort is fantastic!

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Maziyar M
Chicago, IL
Reviewed June 13, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I just celebrated our honeymoon there. The people were friendly and helpful, the food tasty and resort beautiful. We stayed at 2 other resorts on the trip in different cities in Belize and loved this one.

It was unusually very windy when we were there, so the beachfront casita wasn't a great idea. The rooms a little more inland weren't windy much. Not the resorts fault, but I wouldn't have paid more for it if I were to do it again.

Overall, great resort.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Montclair, New Jersey
Reviewed June 13, 2014

My wife and I recently returned from a 7 night honeymoon at Matachica and WOW what an experience. The hotel is so secluded and private, it's exactly what we wanted.

The honeymoon package is GREAT! We got a delicious breakfast everyday as well as dinner (which included 2 apps, 2 entrees, 2 desserts AND a bottle of wine). We stayed in one of the beachfront casitas, Pineapple, which was absolutely amazing. Opening up your door to the ocean breeze is just incredible. The ground are immaculate, the staff is out sweeping up the sea grass several times a day, making the beach pristine. The staff is awesome, a special shout out to Beatriz, Israel & Sam, who made our week at Matachica even more spectacular.

The food at Mambo is excellent! We did not have one meal we didn't enjoy. Definitely take out a kayak and paddle out to the reef (a 10-15 minute or so paddle out depending on the current). You can anchor there and snorkel the reef on your own, which was really cool. We saw a HUGE stingray when we were out there, it was really wild. There are a ton of other water activities available - even if it's something Matachica doesn't offer, they will happily arrange it for you.

The honeymoon package includes 2 excursions: a jungle cruise/Mayan ruins tour & a snorkel trip to Hol Chan & Shark Ray Alley. Personally, my wife & I (and those from Matachica we went with) felt that the tour was not worth the effort. The boat ride to the mainland is an hour, followed by an hour bus ride (our bus broke down which certainly made the experience worse) followed by another hour long 'jungle cruise' which is really more of a windy speed boat ride through the jungle. The cruise aspect was interesting, as we did get to see a couple crocs & some other wildlife. The ruins were very cool, but youre only there for an hour and then have to do the three hour trek back to the hotel (if you do do the tour BRING LOTS OF BUG SPRAY! we got eaten alive!)

Hol Chan & Shark Ray Alley were absolutely incredible - my wife has done a lot of snorkeling over the years and says that this was the best snorkeling she's ever done. It was definitely one of the highlight of our trip.

I do have one negative regarding Matachica:

On our third night there, we were seated next to a table of three, one of whom was being extremely rude to their waitress, who was clearly new and nervous. I came to find out that this is the OWNER of Matachica. He was there for an additional three days of our trip, where we saw him on many occasion. Not once did he interact with any of the hotel guests, ourselves or our friends we made, not even so much as a hello. In fact, I heard him ridicule a few more staff members during our time there. You would think as the owner of a boutique hotel such as Matachica, that you would want to make sure your guests were enjoying themselves. A simple, hello, are you enjoying your time? Is there anything you need? etc. would be a nice gesture, but to outwardly ignore your guests like they don't exist is quite perplexing. There was one instance at the pool where there were 8 of us in the hot tub, drinking, enjoying ourselves. He came out and laid in a lounge chair directly in front of us and didnt say a word. Extremely strange.

Overall, Matachica is the perfect vacation destination. It is so romantic, so private, and the staff makes everything run smoothly and easily for the guests. They are the epitome of class & professionalism. I would recommend Matachica to anyone looking for a romantic getaway and will definitely be back!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Max T
Virginia
Reviewed June 12, 2014

My husband and I celebrated our 20th anniversary at Matachica . Truly loved the resort. We stayed in the Cherry Casita which was perfectly placed near the pool and one row of casitas away from the beach. Our room could not have been more comfortable and beautifully decorated. I can remember feeling like we were the only ones there, it was so peaceful and quiet. All the other guests were honeymooners or celebrating anniversaries like us. One couple was there for their third visit! Abby, Peter, Johnathon, Adam, Israel, Jose, Anita, Paula, Irene, Samuel, Juan carlos, Ever, and all the other staff there treated us like royalty to start and family by the time we were leaving. I miss them all!
A few things to know...if you go on the Lamani trip, bring a banana for "Nacho" the monkey! Also inquire about the details of travel for the trip...it's a long one, but worth it. Pack your own snacks! I went out with "Captain Charlie" from Matachia for a 1/2 day of fishing which was a blast! Caught lots of fish and the chef prepared some yummy dishes for me later! We also went on a snorkel/dive trip together. My husband had the dive instructor and I had a guide to go snorkeling with. They took us to Hol Chan and Shark/Ray Alley, both wonderful! Who knew I would ever swim with a bunch of sharks around me...Nurse Sharks that is! You definitely need to use the resort bikes and ride to town to explore! Make sure you visit The Rum House on Pescador Drive, best Rum Cream ever! I am sad I didn't buy more to bring back, and they give you tastings! Just be sure you leave early enough that you can get back by the activity center's closing time 4pm (I think). The Mambo Restaurant is delicious everyday, however, it was also fun to go off on the bikes or complimentary boat ride into town to feel more of the local culture! The only negative with the resort that I found was that the barrier reef is 1/4 mile out from the beach, which we did kayak to one of the days. However, the wind picked up so much the rest of the trip that there was no way to get out there. It's not the type of beach that you walk into the water and swim, so if that's high on your priority list, you might want to reconsider.

Room Tip: We loved Cherry!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lafrancolini
Wakefield, Rhode Island
Reviewed June 11, 2014

My husband and I just spent a week enjoying Matachica. We couldn't have been happier there.
Since we chose Matachica based on reviews I want to gush for prospective guests.

First, the atmosphere was beyond beautiful. We stayed in Plum, right on the beach. It was perfect, beautiful, airy, comfortable. With our doors open we could see the beach from our bed. The restaurant and reception area are lovely, a wonderful blend of casual and fancy. The beach is gorgeous, clean and inviting. The pool/hot tub area is well tended and completely beautiful. Every afternoon there were couples hanging out there chatting and lounging. One morning we got to the pool before the hot tub was turned on and someone dashed over to ask if we wanted it on, without us even asking. Included in our package was one dinner on our front porch. It was romantic and gorgeous and everything we could have wanted!

Also, the staff was unbelievably competent, friendly and accommodating. They absolutely took a beautiful experience and made it exquisite. Irene and Anita at the front desk were so helpful! We tried to make a deep sea outing a few times, but due to inclement weather it was not in the cards for us. However, the amazing staff never stopped working with us to rearrange outings so we could have the time of our lives! The waitstaff were also incredibly helpful and friendly. Yara, Jose, Israel, Amy, and everyone were always courteous, and often went above the call of duty, to the extent of getting me soda from town when they didn't carry it in the bar. We miss them! We had spa treatments and our masseuses were talented, friendly and courteous, the spa is WELL worth a visit!

Then there are the excursions. We went reef fishing twice, the first trip was a bust, but the second was amazing, I reeled in a barracuda! Then the kitchen cooked our catch up for us for lunch, that was amazing!! Tino took us out that day and I highly recommend him! We also took the trip to Lamani. Our guides, Junior and Gus were great fun guys! The actual visit to the ruins was breathtaking, the getting there and back LONG. I would say there is 3 times as much travel as sight seeing in that trip, still worth it for me, but know your day is mostly boats and buses! We also went snorkeling with Chris. There are not words to describe how lovely that was. It was a perfect outing, I couldn't recommend it more!

You don't have to go on excursions to enjoy Matachica. The beach is gorgeous with chairs and comfy spots everywhere. The pool is a fun place to cool off (or warm up in the hot tub). The pier even has super comfortable couches to lounge on, or just jump off and swim or snorkel right there!! The food is incredible, fresh and wholesome. And every staff member I was lucky enough to chat up was friendly, interesting and knowledgeable.

I couldn't recommend Matachica more. We have already made a pact with another couple we met there to return for our five year anniversary!

Room Tip: Beachfront luxury casitas are amazing. Plum is the farthest from the main house, and feels almost se...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple