My wife and I recently returned from a 7 night honeymoon at Matachica and WOW what an experience. The hotel is so secluded and private, it's exactly what we wanted.
The honeymoon package is GREAT! We got a delicious breakfast everyday as well as dinner (which included 2 apps, 2 entrees, 2 desserts AND a bottle of wine). We stayed in one of the beachfront casitas, Pineapple, which was absolutely amazing. Opening up your door to the ocean breeze is just incredible. The ground are immaculate, the staff is out sweeping up the sea grass several times a day, making the beach pristine. The staff is awesome, a special shout out to Beatriz, Israel & Sam, who made our week at Matachica even more spectacular.
The food at Mambo is excellent! We did not have one meal we didn't enjoy. Definitely take out a kayak and paddle out to the reef (a 10-15 minute or so paddle out depending on the current). You can anchor there and snorkel the reef on your own, which was really cool. We saw a HUGE stingray when we were out there, it was really wild. There are a ton of other water activities available - even if it's something Matachica doesn't offer, they will happily arrange it for you.
The honeymoon package includes 2 excursions: a jungle cruise/Mayan ruins tour & a snorkel trip to Hol Chan & Shark Ray Alley. Personally, my wife & I (and those from Matachica we went with) felt that the tour was not worth the effort. The boat ride to the mainland is an hour, followed by an hour bus ride (our bus broke down which certainly made the experience worse) followed by another hour long 'jungle cruise' which is really more of a windy speed boat ride through the jungle. The cruise aspect was interesting, as we did get to see a couple crocs & some other wildlife. The ruins were very cool, but youre only there for an hour and then have to do the three hour trek back to the hotel (if you do do the tour BRING LOTS OF BUG SPRAY! we got eaten alive!)
Hol Chan & Shark Ray Alley were absolutely incredible - my wife has done a lot of snorkeling over the years and says that this was the best snorkeling she's ever done. It was definitely one of the highlight of our trip.
I do have one negative regarding Matachica:
On our third night there, we were seated next to a table of three, one of whom was being extremely rude to their waitress, who was clearly new and nervous. I came to find out that this is the OWNER of Matachica. He was there for an additional three days of our trip, where we saw him on many occasion. Not once did he interact with any of the hotel guests, ourselves or our friends we made, not even so much as a hello. In fact, I heard him ridicule a few more staff members during our time there. You would think as the owner of a boutique hotel such as Matachica, that you would want to make sure your guests were enjoying themselves. A simple, hello, are you enjoying your time? Is there anything you need? etc. would be a nice gesture, but to outwardly ignore your guests like they don't exist is quite perplexing. There was one instance at the pool where there were 8 of us in the hot tub, drinking, enjoying ourselves. He came out and laid in a lounge chair directly in front of us and didnt say a word. Extremely strange.
Overall, Matachica is the perfect vacation destination. It is so romantic, so private, and the staff makes everything run smoothly and easily for the guests. They are the epitome of class & professionalism. I would recommend Matachica to anyone looking for a romantic getaway and will definitely be back!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Matachica Resort & Spa is an extraordinary, secluded and peaceful resort that sits on the beach facing the Caribbean Sea and the second largest barrier reef on the planet earth. The resort has 27 single unit casitas, each air conditioned with private porch. All rooms except SeaView Cabanas have one king sized bed, SeaView Cabanas have two queens. We also have one two-bedroomm 2-bathroom SeaBreeze Villa. All with beautiful Frette and Matouk linens, and exquisite decor. Swimming pool, Jacuzzi, spa, small gym, sea kayaks, snorkel gear, pedal boats, paddle boards, bicycles, complimentary internet access. A minimum age requirement of 14 years for children applies. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Hotwire, getaroom.com, Cheap Tickets and TripOnline SA so you can book your Matachica Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Matachica Beach Hotel San Pedro
- Matachica Beach San Pedro
- Matachica Resort & Spa Belize/San Pedro