“Most Amazing Honeymoon”

Matachica Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed June 13, 2014

My wife and I recently returned from a 7 night honeymoon at Matachica and WOW what an experience. The hotel is so secluded and private, it's exactly what we wanted.

The honeymoon package is GREAT! We got a delicious breakfast everyday as well as dinner (which included 2 apps, 2 entrees, 2 desserts AND a bottle of wine). We stayed in one of the beachfront casitas, Pineapple, which was absolutely amazing. Opening up your door to the ocean breeze is just incredible. The ground are immaculate, the staff is out sweeping up the sea grass several times a day, making the beach pristine. The staff is awesome, a special shout out to Beatriz, Israel & Sam, who made our week at Matachica even more spectacular.

The food at Mambo is excellent! We did not have one meal we didn't enjoy. Definitely take out a kayak and paddle out to the reef (a 10-15 minute or so paddle out depending on the current). You can anchor there and snorkel the reef on your own, which was really cool. We saw a HUGE stingray when we were out there, it was really wild. There are a ton of other water activities available - even if it's something Matachica doesn't offer, they will happily arrange it for you.

The honeymoon package includes 2 excursions: a jungle cruise/Mayan ruins tour & a snorkel trip to Hol Chan & Shark Ray Alley. Personally, my wife & I (and those from Matachica we went with) felt that the tour was not worth the effort. The boat ride to the mainland is an hour, followed by an hour bus ride (our bus broke down which certainly made the experience worse) followed by another hour long 'jungle cruise' which is really more of a windy speed boat ride through the jungle. The cruise aspect was interesting, as we did get to see a couple crocs & some other wildlife. The ruins were very cool, but youre only there for an hour and then have to do the three hour trek back to the hotel (if you do do the tour BRING LOTS OF BUG SPRAY! we got eaten alive!)

Hol Chan & Shark Ray Alley were absolutely incredible - my wife has done a lot of snorkeling over the years and says that this was the best snorkeling she's ever done. It was definitely one of the highlight of our trip.

I do have one negative regarding Matachica:

On our third night there, we were seated next to a table of three, one of whom was being extremely rude to their waitress, who was clearly new and nervous. I came to find out that this is the OWNER of Matachica. He was there for an additional three days of our trip, where we saw him on many occasion. Not once did he interact with any of the hotel guests, ourselves or our friends we made, not even so much as a hello. In fact, I heard him ridicule a few more staff members during our time there. You would think as the owner of a boutique hotel such as Matachica, that you would want to make sure your guests were enjoying themselves. A simple, hello, are you enjoying your time? Is there anything you need? etc. would be a nice gesture, but to outwardly ignore your guests like they don't exist is quite perplexing. There was one instance at the pool where there were 8 of us in the hot tub, drinking, enjoying ourselves. He came out and laid in a lounge chair directly in front of us and didnt say a word. Extremely strange.

Overall, Matachica is the perfect vacation destination. It is so romantic, so private, and the staff makes everything run smoothly and easily for the guests. They are the epitome of class & professionalism. I would recommend Matachica to anyone looking for a romantic getaway and will definitely be back!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Max T
There are newer reviews for Matachica Resort & Spa

Reviewed June 12, 2014

My husband and I celebrated our 20th anniversary at Matachica . Truly loved the resort. We stayed in the Cherry Casita which was perfectly placed near the pool and one row of casitas away from the beach. Our room could not have been more comfortable and beautifully decorated. I can remember feeling like we were the only ones there, it was so peaceful and quiet. All the other guests were honeymooners or celebrating anniversaries like us. One couple was there for their third visit! Abby, Peter, Johnathon, Adam, Israel, Jose, Anita, Paula, Irene, Samuel, Juan carlos, Ever, and all the other staff there treated us like royalty to start and family by the time we were leaving. I miss them all!
A few things to know...if you go on the Lamani trip, bring a banana for "Nacho" the monkey! Also inquire about the details of travel for the trip...it's a long one, but worth it. Pack your own snacks! I went out with "Captain Charlie" from Matachia for a 1/2 day of fishing which was a blast! Caught lots of fish and the chef prepared some yummy dishes for me later! We also went on a snorkel/dive trip together. My husband had the dive instructor and I had a guide to go snorkeling with. They took us to Hol Chan and Shark/Ray Alley, both wonderful! Who knew I would ever swim with a bunch of sharks around me...Nurse Sharks that is! You definitely need to use the resort bikes and ride to town to explore! Make sure you visit The Rum House on Pescador Drive, best Rum Cream ever! I am sad I didn't buy more to bring back, and they give you tastings! Just be sure you leave early enough that you can get back by the activity center's closing time 4pm (I think). The Mambo Restaurant is delicious everyday, however, it was also fun to go off on the bikes or complimentary boat ride into town to feel more of the local culture! The only negative with the resort that I found was that the barrier reef is 1/4 mile out from the beach, which we did kayak to one of the days. However, the wind picked up so much the rest of the trip that there was no way to get out there. It's not the type of beach that you walk into the water and swim, so if that's high on your priority list, you might want to reconsider.

Room Tip: We loved Cherry!
1  Thank Lafrancolini
Reviewed June 11, 2014

My husband and I just spent a week enjoying Matachica. We couldn't have been happier there.
Since we chose Matachica based on reviews I want to gush for prospective guests.

First, the atmosphere was beyond beautiful. We stayed in Plum, right on the beach. It was perfect, beautiful, airy, comfortable. With our doors open we could see the beach from our bed. The restaurant and reception area are lovely, a wonderful blend of casual and fancy. The beach is gorgeous, clean and inviting. The pool/hot tub area is well tended and completely beautiful. Every afternoon there were couples hanging out there chatting and lounging. One morning we got to the pool before the hot tub was turned on and someone dashed over to ask if we wanted it on, without us even asking. Included in our package was one dinner on our front porch. It was romantic and gorgeous and everything we could have wanted!

Also, the staff was unbelievably competent, friendly and accommodating. They absolutely took a beautiful experience and made it exquisite. Irene and Anita at the front desk were so helpful! We tried to make a deep sea outing a few times, but due to inclement weather it was not in the cards for us. However, the amazing staff never stopped working with us to rearrange outings so we could have the time of our lives! The waitstaff were also incredibly helpful and friendly. Yara, Jose, Israel, Amy, and everyone were always courteous, and often went above the call of duty, to the extent of getting me soda from town when they didn't carry it in the bar. We miss them! We had spa treatments and our masseuses were talented, friendly and courteous, the spa is WELL worth a visit!

Then there are the excursions. We went reef fishing twice, the first trip was a bust, but the second was amazing, I reeled in a barracuda! Then the kitchen cooked our catch up for us for lunch, that was amazing!! Tino took us out that day and I highly recommend him! We also took the trip to Lamani. Our guides, Junior and Gus were great fun guys! The actual visit to the ruins was breathtaking, the getting there and back LONG. I would say there is 3 times as much travel as sight seeing in that trip, still worth it for me, but know your day is mostly boats and buses! We also went snorkeling with Chris. There are not words to describe how lovely that was. It was a perfect outing, I couldn't recommend it more!

You don't have to go on excursions to enjoy Matachica. The beach is gorgeous with chairs and comfy spots everywhere. The pool is a fun place to cool off (or warm up in the hot tub). The pier even has super comfortable couches to lounge on, or just jump off and swim or snorkel right there!! The food is incredible, fresh and wholesome. And every staff member I was lucky enough to chat up was friendly, interesting and knowledgeable.

I couldn't recommend Matachica more. We have already made a pact with another couple we met there to return for our five year anniversary!

Room Tip: Beachfront luxury casitas are amazing. Plum is the farthest from the main house, and feels almost se...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Andrea V
Reviewed June 9, 2014

We spent 4 nights at Matcchica as part of a Surf and Turf package 3 centre holiday for our 25th Wedding Anniversary. It is wonderful, very romantic, lots of couples on honeymoon or anniversary celebrations, we had a sea breeze villa and it was lovely, nice and private, great air con, and very comfy beds the l'occitane toiletres are wonderful. The food in the Mambo resturant was truly outstanding, some of the best food we have ever had! The staff are great, very attentive, nothing is too much trouble. The pool was beautiful, and never busy. we enjoyed a massage and coffee body treatment! and a snorkelling trip. We can highly recommend Matachica for a luxury, chilled, laid back, relaxing, indulgent, romantic get way in a beautiful setting.

1  Thank Gemmabeagle
Reviewed June 7, 2014

My husband and I had a wonderful trip to Belize and loved our stay at Matachica. The room was a thatched roof bungalow that was the perfect blend of rustic luxury. We spent every day on the beach and loved taking the kayaks out. The staff was friendly, helpful, and attentive. We reserved a snorkel trip and the cave tubing/Mayan ruin excursion with the front desk and it was seamless. The hotel restaurant is very good and highly recommended for dinner. We definitely recommend Matachica!!

1  Thank traveler810
Reviewed June 6, 2014

Matachica exceeded each of my expectations. It was truly a special resort. Do not miss Matachica.

The staff went above and beyond to be accommodating and to ensure each guest had a perfect stay - they were incredibly lovely.

The huts were beautiful, clean in island style decor. Highly recommend the large suites with the sitting room as the main room and bathroom are very spacious as well as equipped with glass paned windows. The smaller suites do not have glass which lends to heat and outdoor wildlife "visitors". Turndown services each evening were lovely. No need to bring a hairdryer - there are good ones provided, not the wall mounted vacuum cleaner style. L'Occitane shampoo and conditioner at your convience too.

The beach was nice and each morning the resort raked the seaweed that would wash up to the shore overnight ensuring the sand was clean.

The infinity pool was beautiful and relaxing with a warm spa attached.

Restaurant had amazing food, probably the best on the island, so there was not much need to venture out every single night of the stay. The menu and wine list was fantastic.

Loved the dock that jetted out over the water with the lazy beach chairs and "sofa"'s - so relaxing.

There are a couple of comments in the past regarding loud music in the main hut which has the lobby and restaurants - not sure what those were all about. The music was quiet, relaxing and beautiful.

I thought San Pedro was a dump so there wasn't much need to venture out and though Matachica is only accessable via the water taxi or its own boat service, there was not much of an issue needing to go places - Matachica is able to plan any activity you desire.

Room Tip: Highly recommend the large suites with the sitting room as the main room and bathroom are very spaci...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank DavisEM
Reviewed May 30, 2014

My wife and I just got back from a week long stay at Matachica. We seemed like one of the only few couples there who weren't on their honeymoon, but that's beside the point. We loved this place and would highly recommend. Highlights:
- During a conversation with a couple other guests when we first arrived, we were told that it was the service that set this place apart, and that turned out to be the case. Everyone from the resort that we dealt with was very friendly, professional, and attentive. They seemed to have plenty of staff available any time the guests needed anything, but they weren't an overwhelming presence. They stopped by when sunbathing to ask if we wanted a food or drink with just the right frequency. They set up our snorkeling and fishing trips. They provided plenty of advice on when and how to get into San Pedro and other places on the island. Basically, everything we could have asked for was taken care of.
- My wife was five months pregnant while we were there, and I was initially concerned that our casita Mango was right next to the bar / restaurant building. But it turned out not to be a problem at all. First off, the place was pretty quiet in general. There wasn't much rowdiness at the bar. And most people called it quits at the bar by 10 pm at the latest, so noise was never an issue, and the bed was plenty comfortable to get a good nights sleep.
- I liked the location (5 miles north of town) because it was far enough away that you felt secluded, but then you could always hop on a 10 minute boat ride if you wanted to get into town for more bar and restaurant options. We paid close attention from the boat, and nothing in the 5 miles between Matachica and San Pedro looked as nice from the water. North of Matachica were a couple nice looking places (La Perla Del Caribe and El Secreto). I didn't spend enough time there to compare the rooms, amenities or service, but at least Matachica had the advantage of being closer to town.
- The food at the restaurant was fine for what you needed, if a bit overpriced for lunch and dinner. The few times we ate there was more out of convenience, and we enjoyed the meals fine enough. But there were a lot of places that we wanted to check out elsewhere. The free breakfast was perfectly fine, and the coffee was actually pretty delicious.
- Our casita was great. Bed was super comfortable, and the shower was really nice too. Also plenty of room for the things we brought.
- Other amenities we liked were (a) the three lounge areas out on the dock (b) free access to bikes, kayaks, and paddleboards from the beach and (c) the pool. The pool was back from the beach but got plenty of breeze. It was also a nice size and had just the right number of lounge chairs (not too many, not too few).

Overall, we are really glad we picked this place. The other place on Ambergris that we considered was Victoria House. We went there for late afternoon drinks and dinner one night, and were happy we chose Matachica. While Victoria House looked nice, Matachica had more of the exotic beach feel we were looking for.

5  Thank Ryan A