I can't begin to describe how wonderful, relaxing, fantastic, etc., etc., this resort is. We were there for a week celebrating our 30th anniversary and barely left the property because there's so much to do - Matachica itself is a destination. You can read all the wonderful reviews (I agree with them all) so I won't repeat what they've all said. What I'll do instead is respond to the few criticisms I've seen listed in the reviews. I'm doing this because before we went I read many of them and wondered just how true they might be. So here goes:
-- Some people reported inadequate air conditioning in their casita: Our casita (Guava) was very well air conditioned and a few nights I even had to turn the a/c down or off because it was so cool. I think the comments may result from some other casitas not having such efficient systems, so I suggest asking the desk for one with "good" air conditioning.
Mosquitos: I had exactly one bite, the last night of our stay, and only once saw a few flies. I think the key is that when the wind blows from the ocean, it keeps the bugs away; when it blows from the land, it pushes them out of the mangroves (like many beaches - we've found the same at our family beach place on the Jersey shore). Not much anyone can do about this. Matachica DOES spray and offers cans of Off in each room (which we never used). I suggest bringing a bottle of near-100 percent deet spray, just in case (we did; never used it).
Loud music: I never heard music that was too loud or which bothered me - ever. And believe me, I'm the kind of guy who is easily annoyed by others' music. The music played in the main lodge was never loud and always appropriate for the tropical setting (whether classical, island, Euro, or seafaring music). Maybe the casitas closest to the lodge could hear it, but even that I doubt.
Lack of night life: This brings me to my main point - Matachica is a laid-back, relaxing, fun place to be - it is not a hopping, singles, party-a-minute place. If that's what you want, stay elsewhere. The website is very clear about what Matachica is, so go prepared to relax or don't go. There IS plenty to do at night - walk along the beach, gaze at the stars, read, watch a movie in the lodge, meet others in the bar to learn about their lives, lounge in the pool's hot tub, talk with your wife (gasp!), or partake of, uh, "other nighttime activities." Spring break party? - no. Wonderful and fun? - yes!
I could go on and on about our snorkeling trip, my fishing adventure, our couples' massage, our trips to San Pedro, relaxing by the pool, the WONDERFUL staff, our brush with an international murder mystery (the former McAfee place is only four houses south from Matachica - look for the deep blue roof), but others have already done that. Now go have YOUR OWN adventure in the tropical paradise that IS Matachica!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Matachica Resort & Spa is an extraordinary, secluded and peaceful resort that sits on the beach facing the Caribbean Sea and the second largest barrier reef on the planet earth. The resort has 27 single unit casitas, each air conditioned with private porch. All rooms except SeaView Cabanas have one king sized bed, SeaView Cabanas have two queens. We also have one two-bedroomm 2-bathroom SeaBreeze Villa. All with beautiful Frette and Matouk linens, and exquisite decor. Swimming pool, Jacuzzi, spa, small gym, sea kayaks, snorkel gear, pedal boats, paddle boards, bicycles, complimentary internet access. A minimum age requirement of 14 years for children applies. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, Orbitz and getaroom.com so you can book your Matachica Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Matachica Beach Hotel San Pedro
- Matachica Beach San Pedro
- Matachica Resort & Spa Belize/San Pedro