“Paradise Worth Every Penny!”

Matachica Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 55 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed April 23, 2014

I can't begin to describe how wonderful, relaxing, fantastic, etc., etc., this resort is. We were there for a week celebrating our 30th anniversary and barely left the property because there's so much to do - Matachica itself is a destination. You can read all the wonderful reviews (I agree with them all) so I won't repeat what they've all said. What I'll do instead is respond to the few criticisms I've seen listed in the reviews. I'm doing this because before we went I read many of them and wondered just how true they might be. So here goes:

-- Some people reported inadequate air conditioning in their casita: Our casita (Guava) was very well air conditioned and a few nights I even had to turn the a/c down or off because it was so cool. I think the comments may result from some other casitas not having such efficient systems, so I suggest asking the desk for one with "good" air conditioning.

Mosquitos: I had exactly one bite, the last night of our stay, and only once saw a few flies. I think the key is that when the wind blows from the ocean, it keeps the bugs away; when it blows from the land, it pushes them out of the mangroves (like many beaches - we've found the same at our family beach place on the Jersey shore). Not much anyone can do about this. Matachica DOES spray and offers cans of Off in each room (which we never used). I suggest bringing a bottle of near-100 percent deet spray, just in case (we did; never used it).

Loud music: I never heard music that was too loud or which bothered me - ever. And believe me, I'm the kind of guy who is easily annoyed by others' music. The music played in the main lodge was never loud and always appropriate for the tropical setting (whether classical, island, Euro, or seafaring music). Maybe the casitas closest to the lodge could hear it, but even that I doubt.

Lack of night life: This brings me to my main point - Matachica is a laid-back, relaxing, fun place to be - it is not a hopping, singles, party-a-minute place. If that's what you want, stay elsewhere. The website is very clear about what Matachica is, so go prepared to relax or don't go. There IS plenty to do at night - walk along the beach, gaze at the stars, read, watch a movie in the lodge, meet others in the bar to learn about their lives, lounge in the pool's hot tub, talk with your wife (gasp!), or partake of, uh, "other nighttime activities." Spring break party? - no. Wonderful and fun? - yes!

I could go on and on about our snorkeling trip, my fishing adventure, our couples' massage, our trips to San Pedro, relaxing by the pool, the WONDERFUL staff, our brush with an international murder mystery (the former McAfee place is only four houses south from Matachica - look for the deep blue roof), but others have already done that. Now go have YOUR OWN adventure in the tropical paradise that IS Matachica!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Sea Breeze Suites, which are behind the pool. We couldn't get one of the ocean...
2  Thank trmdwelk

Reviewed April 23, 2014

We stumbled upon this hotel by chance -- we were late in making Spring travel plans, and this was the only hotel that had a two bedroom suite available.

We were traveling with our 13-year-old and had the Villa house. It is an elevated house, with two bedrooms, two full baths, two screened in porches, a living room/kitchen, and a very nice deck. We had a great view of the ocean and the lunar eclipse. The rooms are beautifully decorated and very comfortable. Wifi is not available in the rooms, but that gave us a chance to read and talk and utterly relax.

I was very surprised by the kitchen -- the food was quite good. I have been to plenty of island resorts that seem intent on frying everything. We stuck to fish and were never disappointed -- it was fresh and well-prepared with fresh herbs and vegetables. Someone knew enough to let good quality ingredients speak for themselves.

The hotel is the perfect combination of low-key comfort with and utter relaxation. The staff is absolutely fantastic, and seem genuinely intent on you having a good time. There is a beautiful dock with chairs and loungers, as well as umbrellas and loungers along the beach. Snorkeling gear, kayaks, bicycles, sail boats, and paddle boards are all available free of charge. There is also a very nice pool and hot tub.

Coming from a high-stress environment, we chose to mostly hang out and watch the sky and water. We did some water activity, and the hotel arranged a snorkeling trip for us. Mainly, we just read and swam and got reacquainted as a family. The hotel staff did a great job taking care of everything we could want.

I look forward to going back to Matachica -- it is warm, welcoming, and the perfect place to relax surrounded by natural beauty.

Room Tip: Two-bedroom villa is excellent for families and privacy.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank MLP0316
Reviewed April 20, 2014

Matachica was just right for our needs, and we spent a brilliant week there in March. We wanted a resort that was on the smaller side and Matachica fit that bill just right. We also wanted a location that was not too far from San Pedro that getting to town or scuba shops would be a problem. Nor was it too close to town either, allowing us to enjoy a sense of being away from it all. Still, its location also benefits from being close enough to take a stroll along the beach to some other restaurants in the evenings for variety. In the end, we only spent one afternoon in San Pedro because all of our needs were met in and around the resort, at dive and snorkel sites, and on a mainland tour. Although our needs were not great, their personalized service and attention to their guests' needs was evident in everything that they did from the moment that we identified ourselves at the airport in San Pedro where their staff picked us up to the moment that they dropped us back off at the airport a week later. They did their jobs so well that we most assuredly did not want to leave when our week was up. We loved the cabana accommodations and only wished that we had made our reservations sooner in order to get one of the beachfront options to take even more advantage of the gorgeous views. The concierges ably assisted us with planning and coordinating our daytime adventures, just as the beach staff did the same when we stayed at the resort. We particularly enjoyed taking out the kayaks to the offshore reef and snorkelling out there on a couple of occasions. My girlfriend doesn't dive, but she sure did enjoy seeing all of the beautiful and varied marine life that is just 800 yds. in front of the resort. They even came out to retrieve us in a powerboat as a late afternoon storm approached. It was not necessary as we were not in any immediate danger. We were aware of the changing conditions and were prepared for a more challenging paddle to get back in, but the point is that they were very much aware of their guests, and they wanted to make sure that we had a great, safe experience. Similarly, my girlfriend took advantage of the beach service to enjoy some refreshing beverages while enjoying her book in a chaise lounge to the sound of the waters gently lapping the shores with the omnipresent breeze washing over her. The infinity pool and hot tub also added to our experiences--the warmth of the waters was just the right tonic after being out in the sea for an extended period of time. The food at the restaurant ranged from excellent to merely good (the continental breakfast), but the vast majority of it fell squarely into the category of the former, so we didn't eat too many meals elsewhere. Just thinking about the lunches and dinners reminds me that I am going to have to try to re-create some of those dishes. The rest of the grounds were generally very well appointed, and we particularly enjoyed the international feel created by the decor and the music in the central areas. The gym isn't great, but it is functional and so it added another layer of value to our stay. All in all, our time in Belize and at the resort fulfilled all of our hopes, and we eagerly look forward to returning.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Kaikash
Reviewed April 16, 2014

We went to the Matachica for our honeymoon and got one of their packages that included several nights at the Gaia Riverlodge, their sister resort in the mountains. The Matachica handled everything, setting up a flight from Belize City to San Pedro, picking us up at the airport, and boating us to the resort. It took awhile to get all the way there but they greeted us with a free cocktail and the staff was wonderfully friendly. The food was wonderful, though I'd recommend you get a package that includes meals because if not, you'll end up spending a fortune. The atmosphere was consistently romantic and the resort is adults only with the exception of dinner when couples with kids come to the restaurant from neighboring results. We got a couple's massage while we were there and it was so good we had to go back later in the week for seconds. Everything about the Matachica was top notch and visitor focused. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a romantic getaway in a heartbeat.

1  Thank Ryan-from-Atlanta
Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

Not too thrilled yet, rooms are very small and requested a room with and one with 2 doubles for the kids. Was told well we went thru your emails and we don't see that so....well I have in my emails what I ordered and paid for and didn't appreciate the attitude like I was lying. Oh well day one.

Stayed: April 2014
9  Thank sarahreinecke
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Matachica is the perfect place to be if you truly want to relax. You will meet lots of people from all over the world, or you can stay to yourself, but I'm guessing after a day or so, you won't want to. The staff is spot on. They seem to guess your every need. From meeting you personally with your desired drink off the boat to knowing exactly who you are when you sit for a meal. (Still a mystery how they know that!) We stayed in the Strawberry casita which is next to the restaurant and steps from the beach. Ideal and we never felt too close to the restaurant. Ordinarily we always want the location steps from the beach, but after walking around the property, we felt we could easily stay at one of the smaller ones with a garden view. All lovely. The pool was a great added bonus. Perfect temperature with a hot tub in the middle. Sam was always there knowing I needed my mango soy smoothie. The bed was great. We're very picky since we have a Tempurpedic at home. Slept really well, especially after we figured out the dance with the mosquito netting. (Didn't really need it in April, but....) After an especially unusual storm, I guess a transformer got hit and the island was out of power for several hours. The staff was amazing and responded like this happened all the time. (It doesn't.) We all ate by candlelight and were well taken care of. The only negative - if you can really call it that - was it wasn't really conducive to snorkeling or swimming from shore. Lots of sea grass. But for morning walks on the white sand beach (not for looking for shells) you can easily walk for hours. We would definitely return because we felt like family.

Reviewed April 14, 2014

This was my second time staying at Matachica and I'll be back again. A beautiful resort. Adorable thatched roof cabanas in a palette of tropical beach colors sit along a picturesque stretch of the beach. Breathtaking views of the sea and reef from our room. The bed and pillows are like sleeping on a cloud. Amazing staff are friendly and extremely accommodating. The Coconut Mojiots are delicious and a must try. We didn't want to go home.