“Anniversary in Paradise”

Matachica Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Ummm..... this place is nothing short of amazing! We celebrated our 2 year wedding anniversary in Belize and our ONLY regret- not spending more time here! I'm not even sure how to write a review about this place.

1. We stayed in the ocean view cottages. Each cottage is decorated in a different color. The rooms were perfect- full of windows for the breeze or AC if you seriously needed it. The shower water was always hot and felt great after being in the salt water all day. The beds were SOO comfy! We had to force ourselves to get up! Turn down service was the perfect way to end our day.

2. Food- Food was amazing! Reasonably priced and well worth it. It is nice to stay at the resort, but I encourage you to take the water taxi into town which is a 10 minute boat ride and enjoy some local flavors. Breakfast is included with most packages. Its good, but could use a little help- It includes toast, banana bread, hard boiled egg, and fruit. We ordered some scrabbled eggs and beacon to go with it, and it did the trick.

3. Staff- AMAZING! They were always calling us by name and always asked how we were doing. They continued to go out of their way to make us happy and feel like we were the only ones at the resort.

4. **Excursions- My advice to you- GO REEF FISHING AND SNORKELING HOL CHAN! I can't say that enough- GO REEF FISHING AND SNORKEL HOL CHAN! We decided to go with the resort reef fishing with some friends. Chris was a great captain. After we caught our 19 fish, the resort cooked them for us buffet style- fish and chips, blacked, fish tacos, and with garlic. It was AMAZING! We decided not to scuba dive on this trip and snorkel Hol Chan and we couldn't be more happy! We saw more on this trip then we did ever scuba diving. This canal is filled with fish, sea turtles, eels, sharks and sting rays. Go snorkel HOL CHAN. We loved it. We were told the Blue Hole is a trophy dive. Basically you swim in a hole with maybe a few sharks. So we saved the 500.00 per couple and spend 120.00 per couple to see Hol Chan. We were so excited we did.

My husband isn't a big traveler and before we left he was talking about coming back here- which he NEVER does. You will not be disappointed with MataChica

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Ashley N
There are newer reviews for Matachica Resort & Spa

Reviewed November 15, 2013

This place was amazing! My husband and I celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary at the resort from 8/17/13-8/24/13. Our stay was all we expected and more. We purchased the honeymoon package and felt it was well worth the money Our beachfront casita (Papaya) was spacious and beautifully decorated with all the modern amenities. We were 50 feet from the ocean and could lay in bed and look at the sparkling, blue water as soon as we woke up. The ambiance, food and service in the dining room was beyond exceptional! The staff was extremely attentive and we felt as we were the only guests at the resort Abby and Ruben were our usual waiters and they were excellent. Even though we visited Belize in low season, the weather was beautiful except for the day we left but that made it easier to leave. We will definitely return to this magical paradise!

Room Tip: The additional cost of a beachfront casita is totally worth it. Besides the ocean view and proximity...
Reviewed November 10, 2013

My Husband and I just returned from our Honeymoon at Matachica the week of Nov 2nd 2013. This place was amazing. The accommodations were beautiful and the people were awesome. They were willing to do anything to make your stay special.

We opted for the Honeymoon package which included breakfast every morning, a 3 course dinner each night, a 1 hour couples massage, and 2 excursions. I have provided a bit more detail below.

Breakfast - the one that comes with the package is one of their breakfast entrees found on the menu. Their regular continental breakfast that just comes with the room is actually pretty good and I ended up getting it two mornings. My husband's recommendation is the Huevos Rancheros (AMAZING, I agree) and mine is the banana smoothie with a cinnamon role (the banana smoothie has coconut milk in it, I am sad that I discovered it the second to last day of our trip)

Lunch (wasn't included in our plan) - Lunch was awesome so many great choices. We actually wish that the lunch menu was still available during dinner. The seafood burrito and fish tacos are outstanding as was the quesadilla.

Dinner - is a 3 course meal per person in our plan... so that is an appetizer, entree, and dessert for each person. This is a ridiculous amount of food and we often left food on each plate so we could get thru it. There are no fridges in the room, so you can't take it back for later either. Although the seafood was amazing, the true highlight was the italian... which is kind of sad. Our favorite appetizers ended up being the bruscetta, the ravioli, snapper carpaccio, and the calamari. Our favorite entrees were the deep blue (consisting of squid, snapper, lobster, and shrimp), the lobster, and the filet. However, about day 4 we wish there was some alternative options. I only got the special one night, but we were both ready to try something else. For dessert the ice cream is a must. It is from a local place in town and to die for.

Massage - it was pretty average and felt great since we were on vacation, but nothing spectacular. We didn't get to talk to the masseuses prior to undressing to discuss issue spots. We were simply asked what firmness we wanted by a secondary person. This caused some pain as I have fibromyalgia and although enjoy a medium firmness on most of my body, my upper arms and area above the buttocks just can't handle it. My husband dislocated his shoulder a few years ago, but the area is still sensitive.. so there were a few instances where he also was in great discomfort.

Excursions - We did reef fishing (we traded the Lamanai tour for it) and snorkling. Both were awesome!!! The fish we caught during the fishing trip we brought back to Matahica where they made it into fish tacos (BTW- $10 charge per plate to make it).

Service - AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING... we cannot say enough good about it. Irene and Jonathan were absolutely amazing as were the rest of the staff.

Pool - Beautiful, but would be better if you had a view of the ocean from it.

Rooms - AWESOME, very well thought out and kept wonderfully clean. We were in the Watermelon waterfront casita.

Bugs - Okay, so this was the #1 issue for me. There were SO MANY MOSQUITOS! Matachica is great in the fact that they supply you with a bottle of OFF, but you need to wear it 24/7. If you are normally susceptible to bugs, you will become a buffet table for the little guys. I have terrible issues with mosquitos in the states, but my experience even with wearing the OFF was very unpleasant. I have more bites than what I am able to count. It may just be the fact that we were just coming out of rainy season. I still gave Matachica 4 stars even with this because the insect situation is out of their control. I just wish they had more fans (over casita porches and in the bar area) to help deter them.

Extra Tips - Okay so overall this place was great. It was great for what we were looking for, minimal planning, and some hand holding from the time we arrived. If you want to explore San Pedro a bit more, then please be advised... during this time period, the only way to and from town is by boat or riding a bike on the beach. There are daily Matachica boat rides into town, but they are scheduled based on arriving and departing guests. Its last ride runs back to the resort at 6:30. The water taxi is also available, but it is $10/person and only runs as late as 10:30. If you are looking to be a bit more adventurous on your own, want more access to town, you may want to consider staying at a place with access to the cart rentals. We were able to go into town 1 day for lunch and walked to a nearby beach bar, but beyond that we ate at the resort.

Overall it was still a very nice stay and we thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Laurali0315
Reviewed November 4, 2013

My husband and I celebrated out 25th anniversary here at Matachica. We found the staff exceptional and friendly. From the moment we stepped off the boat, Charlie had picked up our luggage and gave us a very nice trip to the lodge from the town of San Pedro. We were greeted with wonderful smiles by Irene, and Jonathan, who I thought he said his name was Gelatin, and continued to call him that throughout the trip. They were very welcoming to us, and made us feel like we were at home.

The meal service staff was terrific. We always enjoyed Mayra and Abby’s smiles and tremendous service as they usually took care of us early in the mornings. One of my favorite waitresses was Paula, who I just loved her smile, and would have loved to adopt her and take her home with us. During the day we enjoyed getting our drinks from Adam, who learned exactly how I love to drink my Jack and cokes, and always took extremely good care of us, and made sure I always had a drink in my hand. Dennis even came out to the pool one time with a glass full of Jack, and topped it off with just the right amount of coke. I have never seen drink service like that in my entire short lifetime of 50 years.

Once outside, Jonathan, the boy that took care of the boats, and kayaks, was extremely helpful and courteous to us. He was very helpful, and pointed out exactly where I needed to go for a short snorkeling trip, and he also helped Shannon with a paddle board while we were there. He is a very hard worker, and I expect he will be running the place when we return in October of next year. I expect he will be a boat captain at least the next time I see him. And then the spa day we had. I am still sore from the tremendous massage that Tiffany gave me. She made every bone and muscle in my body feel wonderful.

I also have to really brag on our house keeper Janett. She was very thorough, and made sure our room was spotless each day, and that every pillow had a point in each corner. She also has a very special smile, and would make a very nice meal server.

A final thanks to Beatriz, who set up our reservations and travel, and everything went so smoothly from start to finish.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ShannonKraus
Reviewed November 3, 2013

My husband and I spent three nights here in August. Not nearly enough time! Post-wedding it was the perfect place to spoil ourselves, relax and enjoy what the resort had to offer. Truly idyllic my only regret is that we didn't stay longer. We had the banana room right in the back. I know other posts say that in the rainy/hot season there are a lot of mosquitos but we had no problems at all. The banana room was cool with the air conditioning at night and I didn't feel we missed anything by not having ocean front. In fact, it gave us more privacy being in the back.

Service was superb, grounds are lovely and our favourite was being able to kayak out to the reef to snorkel. Highly recommend!

Room Tip: Banana room was on the end in the back so good privacy and had no problems.
Reviewed October 29, 2013

My wife and I came here for our honeymoon, we loved the amazing service and how secluded and small this place was. We also stayed @ hidden valley inn which was awesome. We had a lizard that kept crawling around our hut but the staff chased it out several times. The beds are amazing. Wouldn't recommend the private beach tour but everything else was great. Don't think it would be entertaining more than 5 days though.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

This hotel exceeded my expectations. After having spent time at some phenomenal and high rated hotels around the world, we've come to set the bar high, everywhere we go. So lets talk about Matachica. What is there left to say?! The previously posted reviews say it all. But, as a good Tripadvisor reviewer I will take this opportunity to add my 2 or 3 cents. Matachica is set on a decent size property with it's own stretch of fine sand beach. A nice, well maintained dock, sits directly across from the bar area. They have 3 or 4 boats which they use to shuttle the hotel guests to and from the main area of San Pedro. The boats run several times a day, just check the schedule at the front desk. Oh and while I'm on the topic, the front desk staff is great. All of the front desk workers are extremely kind and helpful whenever you have a question or request. You need a golf cart rental in San Pedro? No problem. As in our case, the owner of the golf cart company met us at Fido's Dock once we arrived from our complimentary Matachica shuttle boat ride into town. He handed us the keys to our very own rental golf cart. That was all handled by the front desk. $55 for the entire day rental - 8 hours I believe it was. You'd like to scuba dive? Also scheduled by the front desk. I must say they truly display exemplary customer service. The guys that work the grounds are very nice, always looking to say hello as you walk by. Special hello to Gio, Henry, Israel, Raymundo, Myra and Jonathan. The waiters and waitresses are also great. Also greeting you with a smile and a warm hello. I've said it before, Island charm with city professionalism. They have it all at Matachica. Its a decent sized property but somehow most of the staff members find a way to greet you by name. Or at least they always greeted me by name. Made me feel really special. You almost feel a sense of community at this hotel. The food at Matachica's Mambo Restaurant is top notch. Not one bad meal in the 7 days that I spent there. The chef was sent down from heaven it seems. Such a cool place. I definitely can say that this is among my top 5 favorite places in the world. Within that list of course is Villas Hermosas, in Santa Teresa Costa Rica. Please do yourself a favor and spend a couple of days at Matachica. You won't regret it. Immaculate property, excellent service and genuine staff. You will not need or want anything else......ENJOY BELIZE!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple