Matachica Resort & Spa
Pedro's Hotel(San Pedro)(Great Value!)
$56
$54
El Secreto(San Pedro)
$473
$420
Spindrift Hotel(San Pedro)(Great Value!)
$48
Las Terrazas Resort(San Pedro)
$299
$290
  • Pool
$359
$348
Orbitz.com
Seven Seas Resort(San Pedro)(Great Value!)
$110
Ocean Tide Beach Resort(San Pedro)(Great Value!)
$113
$109
Holiday Hotel(San Pedro)(Great Value!)
$97
$94
Orbitz.com
  • Beachfront
$350
Official Site
Sapphire Beach Resort(San Pedro)(Great Value!)
$217
$208
getaroom.com
1,022 results
All reviewsmata chicabeachfront casitajade spaour honeymoonview suitegaia riverlodgewater taxiambergris cayefishpaddle boatscoconut mojitomain buildingmosquito nettingsea breezerojo barminute boat rideturn down service
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 18, 2013

The Matachica was amazing. We had a wonderful vacation here, and I can't imagine a much better resort. The resort was recommended to me by a good friend and it met and exceeded all expectatons. I recommend it to anyone who asks for a vacation recommendation.

The casitas are great. They are private and have more of the feel of home than you get at a larger resort. They are simple in their design but still have everything you need or want. Each casita has its own hammock out front for relaxing. They also have seating areas in which to relax or eat in the room. The casitas aren't numbered, they are named, which adds to the comfortable and intimate feel of the resort. Staying at the Matachica is what I would picture if I was asked to imagine an ideal life (well, maybe I would add waves). While you are at the Matachica, the staff will get to know you. It is a great departure from the larger luxury resorts we tend to go to.

The staff was phenominal. As I said, they will get to know you. We tend to wake up late, right around the time that resorts tend to stop serving breakfast. The staff quickly caught on and helped me get breakfast and coffee each day to take back to the casita as they were closing up. The food was great. My wife still raves about some of the pasta dishes. Also, we were there over Thanksgiving. We went in to town and aimed to get back before the kitchen closed. Unfortunately, we didn't make it, so we were bummed that we were going to bed without eating. To our surprise, the chef was still there and offered to make us dinner even though they had closed. You just don't see that kind of service most places. The staff here simply goes above and beyond to make your time there amazing.

One of the other great things about Belize is that there is really a lot to do there. From snorkeling or scuba diving to visting Mayan ruins, there are really a lot of options. The hotel has a good amount of tours to offer and the staff is helpful in picking the right options.

The only downside to this resort is that it is pretty remote. In the end, we thought it was also a benefit, but the location isn't necessarily convenient. Traveling in from LA, it took a full day which included multiple flights and ended with the resort's boat taking us to the resort. If you want to go to town, you have to get on the resort's water taxi or get your own water taxi. The hotel provides a lot of options with their water taxi and is otherwise helpful in getting you into town and back, but it isn't the most convenient thing.

I wholeheartedly recommend the Matachica. We will go back. After staying at the Matachica, my perspective on resorts has changed. I have become a huge fan of smaller, more unique resorts instead of the standard luxury resort.

Room Tip: In reality, all the rooms are great. We stayed in a reef-view casita. It was in the second row, so not technically on the beach. Regardless, you could still look out the window/door and see the beautiful ocean. If money isn't an object, go beachfront. If it is, the second row is still amazing.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 14, 2013

My wife and I just returned from Matachica yesterday. We were there for our honeymoon, and without hesitation, we both can say that we could not have made a better choice. First, the setting: if you have never been to Belize, stop everything you're doing and go there right now. It is without a doubt one of the world's most beautiful destinations. Between the Caribbean beaches and the tropic jungles, every possible view seems like a postcard unto itself. Second, the resort: My wife and I are normally the backpacking/hiking type, so we were a bit leery of a tropical beach vacation. However, the staff at Matachica made sure that our honeymoon package would gave us every opportunity to be active throughout the entire week. We went snorkeling at the barrier reef (saw sea turtles...it looked like an episode of Planet Earth...), hiked and visited Mayan ruins deep in the jungle, got a couples massage, and had free reign over sea kayaks, paddle boards, and even a small sail boat. Definitely not a 'sit on the beach with a Piña colada' kind of a week...although, we ended up doing plenty of that too...Third, and most significantly: the staff. The staff at Matachica are among the most responsive, most diligent, and most fun staff I have ever worked with. Special accolades go to Jonathan, Paola, Aby, and Reymundo. Watermelon (our room name) thanks you again for an amazing week!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank David K
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We arrived at Matachica for the opening of their season- and were consistently surprised/amazed/in-awe at how awesome our experience was all week.

Some of our favorites:
-Beachfront Casita- such a fun experience! Great to have a private little hut (and by hut- it really was a state-of-the-art hut with electricity and running water), right on the beach. Would highly recommend choosing this option.
-Dinner- amazing food, consistently good. Great service- the wait staff was absolutely amazing. They knew our names, they were fun to talk to, our water glasses were never empty, and they made great recommendations when we asked about food and activities.
-Honeymoon Package- we felt it was worth getting the package and would recommend it to other honeymoon travelers. You have activities built in- and it is flexible as to when you do them. Dinner is built it, and we seriously ate like kings all week.

I would like to note that the resort definitely caters to couples; about 90% of the guests that were there with us were also on their honeymoon. We did meet other guests who were not on a honeymoon trip, and from talking with them, they were also having a great experience. Just good to know going in if you are traveling to Matachica just for fun :)

Room Tip: Get a beachfront casita! Awesome!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank M C
Reviewed October 13, 2013

My husband and I chose this as a blissful end to our Belize adventure. After 5 nights in the jungle, Trip advisor helped me to find this little gem to complete our first vacation together! We opted for a deluxe Beachfront Casita- which ended up being the first one closest to the pier, restaurant, and pool. It was beautiful and private. The bed was like floating on a cloud! Absolutely magical! super spaced out.. The bathroom was beautiful as well. We could just lie in bed and stare at the ocean all day if we wanted to. The staff was amazing. The bartenders were a lot of fun to chat with! The overall charm and mystique of the dining room is like nothing else I have ever experienced.. The strange off the wall enchanting music with the light ocean breeze flowing through.. Definitely the most romantic place I have dined. Food was exceptional and we found out the owners travel the world and bring back a vast assortment of music and other relics on these trips. Definitely a large Asian influence. They add to the resort every year, so its always evolving. The only thing I did not realize when booking this trip is that its an hour and a half boat ride from Belize city.. Once we made it there, it was definitely worth it, but I probably would not have chose this if I had known. Make sure you opt for connecting flights to San Pedro! We went snorkeling while we were here and that was a crazy cool experience!! Sea turtles, eels, stingrays, nurse sharks and a vast array of other fish and plant life. This was my first time snorkeling, and it was almost overwhelming but glad that I did it. We did take a water taxi into town for an afternoon, and I must say I was not a fan of San Pedro. I have done a fair amount of travelling ( with others and alone) and did not feel very safe here. I'm not sure why. Everything is ridiculously over priced (2-3 times what I would pay for it in Canada) and I felt really uncomfortable So we did not spend much time in the city! Not to worry!! The resort was nothing like this.. I am so glad I found this resort. Couldn't imagine our trip ending elsewhere!! This was my husband favorite place. One other thing I didn't realize when we booked for this place was the beginning of tropical weather season! They had 3 strait days of rain before we arrived- The weather was beautiful for us, but it was pretty windy. It howled through our casita pretty good if we didn't close up tight! It was nice because it kept things a little cooler.. And before I forget! We did opt for a spa morning. The massage was quite good, but they do not have a full setup for pedicures which was a little disappointing

Room Tip: We were in the center, and aside from the wind, super quiet! I would spend the lil bit extra to be right on the beach. well worth it.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Trinanicole
Reviewed September 25, 2013

A blissful place, I'm already planning a return. You have to experience it to believe it.

We arrived via Tropic air, greeted by Matachica staff at the airport and then taken to the boat via golf cart. When the boat docks at Matachica the magical feelings begin. We were greeted on the dock by someone from reception and we received welcome drinks and taken to check in then our Casita. We had an ocean front deluxe Casita, peach. A beautiful room, simple yet elegant, the perfect blend. The setting of the resort is just magical, as soon as we arrived (even though I had a list of restaurants to check out while there) I said I am not leaving this resort and tossed my list away.

Staff and service is beyond exceptional. Front desk staff is incredibly helpful, they are so tactful too. In casual conversation with the front desk we mentioned that we felt slightly warm sleeping the night prior, they quickly arranged and had someone come look at our AC unit. We weren’t even trying to ask for the AC to be checked, we just assumed this is as cool as this room will get. That evening our room was so much cooler than the night before. Also, the day before departing I went to the front desk to let them know what time I need a boat in the morning and I mentioned that I booked the early flight instead of the later ones as my flight home was in the afternoon she said would you like me to change your tropic air flight for you. And she did. This had to be the highlight of my vacation life because everyone knows how special those extra last minutes are! I was in complete awe that they offered and were able to so easily do this..

Compliments and praise goes to the staff at this resort, they sure are the reason people like myself are already planning a return trip. It’s just lovely to be in a gorgeous tropical setting with such amazing people and beautiful personalities. The waiters and bartenders (Israel, Ever, Adam and Jonathan) were truly delightful, incredibly professional and somehow managed to steal our hearts. We owe them a great deal because we had a day of bad weather where we spent the entire day at the bar and it turned out to be an incredibly fun day.

Here are some points I find can be helpful to know ahead of time

• Matachica is about 5/6 miles north of the town of San Pedro if you want to get back and forth into town they your options are
o Call for a private water taxi for a charge
o Take the Coastal express for a charge
o Or take advantage of Matachica’s boats which do go out and back a few times a day, check the schedule board by reception for times and plan your outing accordingly. Works out perfectly. However, in my experience Matachica is so perfect I really never wanted to leave, not even for a single dinner. In fact it’s probably the only place I stayed at so far where I had zero desires to leave the property.
• The official website pictures are on point, and you have TA and other site to verify. The place is beautiful
• Maybe this isn’t the right place for everyone, therefor it is important to do your research, but it’s certainly the perfect place for someone who wants to find a middle ground between luxury and sleeping in a deserted tropical beach.

• Spa has excellent prices and there are tons of free beach activities.

Happy Travels!