Who eats bananas with guacamole? You might, if you order the scallops from the menu at Mambo, Mata Chica's great restaurant. The food at this resort is wonderful, but hardly the best part of the experience. Some thoughts on who should stay here (it's not for everyone): Mata Chica's rooms are single "houses" with thatched roofs and concrete floors. It is basically a luxury hut with a full bath and daily maid service. The rooms are air conditioned with wall units aimed at the beds and have ceiling fans. If you are looking for the Four Seasons, you will be disappointed. If you are looking for a quiet, clean place to relax and use as a base for activities, go for it.
We were struck immediately by the beauty and quiet of the resort. It is the perfect place for honeymooners and vacationing couples. Families should try somewhere else...
We loved our stay and felt VERY taken care of, especially in the restaurant, bar, and while making activity plans at the front desk. A couple tips: for diving - go with Ecologic, not Belize Academy, for the equipment and professionalism. For activities, we highly recommend diving, snorkeling, zip-lining in the jungle, and cave-tubing. Be sure to bring your bug spray into the jungle! (Only the flies are annoying around Mata Chica).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Matachica Resort & Spa is an extraordinary, secluded and peaceful resort that sits on the beach facing the Caribbean Sea and the second largest barrier reef on the planet earth. The resort has 27 single unit casitas, each air conditioned with private porch. All rooms except SeaView Cabanas have one king sized bed, SeaView Cabanas have two queens. We also have one two-bedroomm 2-bathroom SeaBreeze Villa. All with beautiful Frette and Matouk linens, and exquisite decor. Swimming pool, Jacuzzi, spa, small gym, sea kayaks, snorkel gear, pedal boats, paddle boards, bicycles, complimentary internet access. A minimum age requirement of 14 years for children applies. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com and Jetsetter so you can book your Matachica Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Matachica Beach Hotel San Pedro
- Matachica Beach San Pedro
- Matachica Resort & Spa Belize/San Pedro