My husband and I stayed at Matachica from 8/2 - 8/12. We had an ocean front casita,(watermelon). It was 25 steps from the hammock to the water's edge! Beautiful palm trees all around the property, soft, clean sand everywhere you went. The crew is constantly raking the sea grass that washes ashore and they rake all the sand paths between the buildings, all day, every day! It was like walking a Zen garden path. Everyone is so nice & friendly, with a smile and a Hello, how are you today? The casitas are nice an spaced away enough from each other for privacy. The casitas themselves are beautiful, big spacious bathrooms, the most comfortable beds we have ever slept in, lots of windows with shutters & screens, so you can catch the ocean breezes. We prefer to have natural air flow and didn't use the A/C too much. That might be an issue for some people who like to sleep in a cold room, since this is only a wall unit, and it wont turn the room down to 65 degrees. Not an issue for us, like I said.I see alot of reviews complaining about mosquitos, but we didn't have any issues with bugs at all. I even gave the security guys my 2 cans of Off that we brought with us, since I didn't want to lug them home with us. We have more mosquitos in our back yard then we saw in Belize. (& we did go do an inland tour, no bugs problem there either!) Lots of lizards around, they were our lunch time entertainment. They will come right up to your table, looking for some scraps. we thought it was cool to commune with nature, some others might be freaked out by it. Food is incredible, definately order the chocolate souffle, it's worth the wait!! Dennis the bar tender & server, makes a mean Caipirinha, be sure to have one or two. Abby & Mayra, servers in the dining room, always have a smile and a laugh to share. Loved them all so much! Miss them every day!! The pool is so nice too, I love the lounge chairs IN the pool, what a great way to relax and cool off at the same time. Lots of water sports equipment to use and super helpful staff to guide you to how to use it to. Snorkeling the reef was like swimming in an aquarium, so many fishes and corals. It's an easy 10 minute kayak ride on a calm day to the buoy & then a 5 minute swim from there. Lots of conch shells to dive for, we brought 2 home.(not a carry on item, TSA says it can be a weapon, so be sure to pack it in your checked luggage, we learned the hard way & had to pay an extra $40 to check our bag!)
I could go on and on about how wonderful Matachica is, the only thing bad about it was the fact we had to eventually leave! It will definately be a place we return to again!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Matachica Resort & Spa is an extraordinary, secluded and peaceful resort that sits on the beach facing the Caribbean Sea and the second largest barrier reef on the planet earth. The resort has 27 single unit casitas, each air conditioned with private porch. All rooms except SeaView Cabanas have one king sized bed, SeaView Cabanas have two queens. We also have one two-bedroomm 2-bathroom SeaBreeze Villa. All with beautiful Frette and Matouk linens, and exquisite decor. Swimming pool, Jacuzzi, spa, small gym, sea kayaks, snorkel gear, pedal boats, paddle boards, bicycles, complimentary internet access. A minimum age requirement of 14 years for children applies. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, Hotels.com, getaroom.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Matachica Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Matachica Beach Hotel San Pedro
- Matachica Beach San Pedro
- Matachica Resort & Spa Belize/San Pedro