“A huge slice of heaven!”

Matachica Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed August 22, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Matachica from 8/2 - 8/12. We had an ocean front casita,(watermelon). It was 25 steps from the hammock to the water's edge! Beautiful palm trees all around the property, soft, clean sand everywhere you went. The crew is constantly raking the sea grass that washes ashore and they rake all the sand paths between the buildings, all day, every day! It was like walking a Zen garden path. Everyone is so nice & friendly, with a smile and a Hello, how are you today? The casitas are nice an spaced away enough from each other for privacy. The casitas themselves are beautiful, big spacious bathrooms, the most comfortable beds we have ever slept in, lots of windows with shutters & screens, so you can catch the ocean breezes. We prefer to have natural air flow and didn't use the A/C too much. That might be an issue for some people who like to sleep in a cold room, since this is only a wall unit, and it wont turn the room down to 65 degrees. Not an issue for us, like I said.I see alot of reviews complaining about mosquitos, but we didn't have any issues with bugs at all. I even gave the security guys my 2 cans of Off that we brought with us, since I didn't want to lug them home with us. We have more mosquitos in our back yard then we saw in Belize. (& we did go do an inland tour, no bugs problem there either!) Lots of lizards around, they were our lunch time entertainment. They will come right up to your table, looking for some scraps. we thought it was cool to commune with nature, some others might be freaked out by it. Food is incredible, definately order the chocolate souffle, it's worth the wait!! Dennis the bar tender & server, makes a mean Caipirinha, be sure to have one or two. Abby & Mayra, servers in the dining room, always have a smile and a laugh to share. Loved them all so much! Miss them every day!! The pool is so nice too, I love the lounge chairs IN the pool, what a great way to relax and cool off at the same time. Lots of water sports equipment to use and super helpful staff to guide you to how to use it to. Snorkeling the reef was like swimming in an aquarium, so many fishes and corals. It's an easy 10 minute kayak ride on a calm day to the buoy & then a 5 minute swim from there. Lots of conch shells to dive for, we brought 2 home.(not a carry on item, TSA says it can be a weapon, so be sure to pack it in your checked luggage, we learned the hard way & had to pay an extra $40 to check our bag!)
I could go on and on about how wonderful Matachica is, the only thing bad about it was the fact we had to eventually leave! It will definately be a place we return to again!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in 2 casitas, watermelon & strawberry. Strawberry is right next to the pool, so expec...

Reviewed August 17, 2013

First of all, think mosquitoes. then think more of those little buggers. For the life of me, I cannot understand why this resort would not spray for the little blood suckers every hour on the hour. At the very least, you would think that they would supply every cabana with OFF. You should also only consider the beachfront cabanas. If you book sea view, you are too far away from the ocean breeze and the still air makes the problem more pronounced.
The resort itself is lovely, particularly if you are honeymooning, which almost everybody there was. It is a truly good resort with good food and a good bar scene. The pool are is fantastic. Don't think that the ocean side is going to be as good as the pool. The reef is about three-quarters of a mile from land and there is too much boat traffic coming by to swim to the reef.
The resort management does everything in their power to keep you at the resort, Small things, like taking you San Pedro, are scheduled so that you cannot get back unless you take the local water taxi (bus), so that you will stay on property to drink and eat. That gets old after just a few days, but believe me, they don't care.
We have stayed at five star and even four star resorts all over the world. This one has the potential, but overlooks just enough little things to make it just above average -- not great.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank a36redbaron
Reviewed August 14, 2013

My new wife and I just spent about 4 days at Matachica and we were soooo happy. The place was stylish, romantic, secluded and luxurious. If you are trying to find the perfect honeymoon location for Ambergris we think this is the place. Be sure to get a seaside cabana. We did and we felt like rock stars! Also the food and service were really out of this world! It's not a cheap place but we felt it was really worth the money!

2  Thank CDiamond13
Reviewed August 14, 2013

My husband and I spent a wonderful 6 nights here for our honeymoon. We had nothing but good things to say about the resort, the staff, the food and the excursions that they helped plan for you. If you are expecting five star accommodations, you will get it, except in a more organic way. Yes the power goes out sometimes, but it's an island thing and out of their control. You'll see lizards and crabs walking around while you are hanging by the pool or dock, but that's why you chose a beach resort in Belize, right? The good reviews and pictures that are listed are pretty much on point. We had the most amazing week there after all of the wedding insanity and I would definitely go back.

2  Thank 918alessiak
Reviewed August 12, 2013

My husband and I spent 5 nights at Matachica & loved it. The staff are great, and the resort is beautiful. We would love to return one day! We also spent 3 nights in the jungle at Gaia Riverlodge (their sister resort) - also amazing!

1  Thank AlanaJac
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Matachica Resort and Spa was just what we needed after months of preparation for our wedding, and a few days in the mountains. It was total relaxation and pampering. We booked the Short Caribbean Getaway package plus 1 extra night. I booked over the internet from England, direct with the resort and dealt with a lady called Burga, she was very helpful, friendly and made the transaction effortless, booking direct was easy and it saved us money by cutting out the middle man and as they have great packages to choose from, you can't loose.
We were collected from Tropic Air and taken to the speed boat by golf cart, from the moment we were met by the Matachica Staff we were looked after amazingly. Each and every one of them were helpful, friendly and attentive. We were welcomed with Cocktails and shown to our room. We stayed in Lime, just behind Mambo restaurant and reception, it was nice and it was quite quiet and also managed to pick up the wifi from the bar. The room was well appointed and we had fresh towels, both bath and beach every day and fresh bed linen and iced water.
The food was absolutely amazing, fresh seafood and specials most days, there was a great range to choose from and every meal was exceptionally tasty. Even if you don't stay at Matachica I would recommend a visit to the restaurant.
Included in our package were a couple of spa treatments, we had the full body massage and a facial, which due to times we ended up having on two separate occasions and I don't know if this benefited us or whether you normally get this service but our arms, feet and legs were also included in the facial which was an added treat! I would highly recommend having any treatment at the spa as the ladies were excellent and we felt totally pampered after both experiences.
The boat trip to Hoi Chan and Shark Ray Alley is also well worth a trip and make sure you take your underwater camera. It does get very busy but the variety of fish and corals were fantastic to see and although its busy it is well looked after and respected.
Overall I would highly recommend Matchica, it's quaint rustic charm of the palm leaf rooms and the fact they are spaced out really made it feel like there were not many people at the resort, as you aren't all on top of each other like in many high rise resorts. Its fantastic staff really made our honeymoon one to remember and hopefully we will get the chance to return one day.

Room Tip: We stayed in Lime, it was close to the swimming pool, bar and restaurant, although it was close to a...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Chopstaz
Reviewed August 3, 2013

My Husband & I just got back from spending 10 days at Matachica. Matachica is definitely not a Mariott on a island.This is a true island experience! The rooms have thatched roofs, you see lizards often, you walk on sand the entire time & every morning you wake up to coconuts on the ground that have fallen from the trees. There are only about 50 people at a time at Matachica so you always have your favorite spot to sit to eat, drink, or sit by the pool or by the ocean. The staff is the most amazing staff you would find anywhere.They always walk by with a smile & a hello. They help you even when not asked. No matter where you sit to enjoy the water they are always there to offer you a drink or anything you ask. I'm sure if you asked them to fan you they would! When setting up excursions the only thing you have to let them know where & where you want to go.Everything is handled! All you do is showt up. We also realized that when people in town found out we were from Matachica they bent over backwards to help you. Matachica has a great reputation. My husband dove 3 days (including the blue hole. which is 135feet deep), we did the Hol Chan shark & Ray feeding snorkeling trip. Truly amazing! The guide actually held a nurse shark so we could all touch him!! We did a private tubing & Mayan Ruins trip (the staff recommended a private trip). It was just the guide & us all day, so we went at our own pace. It included breakfast & lunch. We saw so much of Belize city & the country side. We went as far as seeing the Guatemala border when we were at the run-ins. We got rained on for 5 minutes & saw holler monkeys in the tree. The cave tubing was so much fun! We saw many bat caves & bats sleeping, waterfalls inside & took pictures. My husband & I also went into town on the first day to get a case of water, coke light (that is what they call diet), & beer. The funny thing is they give it to you in a plastic milk crate! They brought it to the boat & the Matachica staff brought it to the room. You always have water in a pitcher in your room, so water isn't necessary. We did bring a soft sided cooler from home to keep these in. There is no mini fridge in the room (which was a bummer, however, the staff always wants to make you happy & we were able to get a cooler from them to use all week. We were able to get as much ice from the staff as we wanted. They always aim to please! Love the Matachica staff!!!) We did go into town on the last day to bring the crates back to get our $11 back. When we did that we stopped at Elvie's kitchen for drinks & cerviche. Great restaurant & staff was very friendly! I would go back to Matachica in a heartbeat!! Just know this is the totally opposite of a Hawaiian vacation (I do love Maui!). My husband chose this trip & I was hesitant because I like the states & not going someplace so far. Here are some tips:
-it is VERY HUMID here! I barely put on make up because you sweat the entire time
-My Hair was in a ponytail the entire time. Because the bathroom feels like a sauna & would never cool. It took a few days to get used to being a "granola," hippie or island girl ( my husbands favorite thing to call me.
-They have an AC wall unit that is only in the bedroom & can only stay down to 78 degrees due to the concrete walls & thatched roof. So if you like it cooler to sleep you will not get it. They do have fans in the room & bathrooms. The AC DOESN'T reach the bathroom. I do wish by the time I go back they would put one in there because it was stifling at times.
-MOSQUITOS!!!! I seriously hated them!! For some reason they love me!!! I had bites all over! My husband had NONE! UGH! I didn't bring anything with fragrance, because I was aware of this! I bought OFF with 25% deet. It helped, but I did get bit some. If I didn't put it on during the day I got eaten alive!! The breeze helps with the mosquitos, however the days that there isn't a breeze watch out. If you go to the pool or the back of the resort you will be a mosquito feast! When I found that out, I always stayed at the front. We had an ocean view deluxe room so it was perfect. Due to the attraction I am to mosquitos I personally couldn't stay in the back. However, the people we met that did said it was fine. Just go with what budget you have.
-The room is very nice. The staff comes in 2x's sometime 3x's a day to freshen up. At night they light these little coil incense stuff that is supposed to ward off bugs.
-The resort is super clean. You always see the staff cleaning or sweeping. The bathroom on the resort is always neat & clean!
-The gym has one bike, treadmill & elliptical machine. You can't see the ocean & there is no TV in the room. They do have a few weights & one machine. Very minimal. It is very empty. I did use it 2 times. You get a good sweat!
-The bar & restaurant is great!! You couldn't get any better service. We ate 99% of our meals there. They don't change the menu, but you can ask for changes if you want. They did a few special orders from me:) The best foods there were: the stuffed grouper, stuffed snapper, italian brochette, & guacamole .
-At the end of the dinner & bar tab they don't add tip. The 15% tip is added on at the end of your trip. However, you can add money if you want to give more to the server. I asked the server & they do get to keep it all.
-My husband & I did notice that this country is great when it comes to tipping. They NEVER ask or hint about it (like in other places we have traveled), but they are always very grateful when you do.
-San Pedro is a small port like city, very clean. You will be approached by "rasta-tony" to buy pot. That was interesting! I would suggest to take a tour that ventures out into the country. It is very green & lush. You do see the simple life of Belize. It was a real humbling experience for us. We do have it all in the states & I don't think we realize how lucky we are.
-The spa was nice & around the same price as the states. 90min was $130. I had 2 therapist; silvia & tiffany. Silvia gave a relaxing one. Tiffany gave the best massage that when deep without hurting. Tipping is not included.
The next time I go to Belize I would take only flip flops, more cotton clothes, stronger bug repellant (possibly water proof), less make up & find a way to do my hair that doesn't include a blow dryer or curling iron. I would know that I would have a RELAXING vacation & be treated like a queen by the fabulous staff! You won't have a better Island experience any where else! I loved Belize!
I hope this review helps!

Room Tip: If you are prone to mosquitos get the deluxe ocean front. I heard that the rooms on that side were b...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple