We just returned from a week at Matachica Resort - and it's really hard to find a single bad thing to say about it. We're very experienced world travelers, and this might possibly be the best resort we have ever stayed at. Un-Belize-able location (as they say in Belize), fabulous food, lovely accommodations, but most important - impeccable service. Attentive, friendly, helpful, yet never obsequious. Waiters with a wonderful sense of humour and perfect service, a front desk that is beyond helpful - arranging inland expeditions to the Mayan ruins at Lamanai, or snorkeling trips to Shark Alley, or a relaxing pedicure at the lovely on-site Spa.
The Mambo restaurant is exceptional. Fresh local fish and seafood every night - shrimp, grouper, snapper - all done to perfection, with reasonably priced wines. The continental breakfast, which was included, was delightful and plentiful - toast, slice of cheese, banana bread, hard-boiled egg, orange juice, lots of fresh fruit.
The "infinity" pool is simply luscious - with a great hot tub inside it. And waiters to bring you tropical drinks all day.
The beach is nice soft sand, but like all the beaches on Ambergris Caye, the shore is dense with sea grass, so if you want to swim in the ocean, then you have to go off the end of the long dock. But we went on 2 snorkeling trips, so we got lots of ocean swimming.
We stayed in the Seabreeze bungalow, and it was excellent. You're outside all day, so you don't miss the view of the beach. Hammock on the front porch, nice linens on the bed, huge bathroom and shower - lots of beach towels for the pool.
If you didn't get the reference in the title of this review, it refers to the old Madonna song, which was written about San Pedro and Ambergris Caye. As she says, "Tropical the island breeze; All of nature wild and free." That's Matachica.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Matachica Resort & Spa is an extraordinary, secluded and peaceful resort that sits on the beach facing the Caribbean Sea and the second largest barrier reef on the planet earth. The resort has 27 single unit casitas, each air conditioned with private porch. All rooms except SeaView Cabanas have one king sized bed, SeaView Cabanas have two queens. We also have one two-bedroomm 2-bathroom SeaBreeze Villa. All with beautiful Frette and Matouk linens, and exquisite decor. Swimming pool, Jacuzzi, spa, small gym, sea kayaks, snorkel gear, pedal boats, paddle boards, bicycles, complimentary internet access. A minimum age requirement of 14 years for children applies. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, MrandMrsSmith, Orbitz, Hotwire, Travelocity and Jetsetter so you can book your Matachica Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Matachica Beach Hotel San Pedro
- Matachica Beach San Pedro
- Matachica Resort & Spa Belize/San Pedro