My husband and I had the pleasure of spending our honeymoon at Matachica from Dec 8th 2012 to Dec 15th 2012. We were extremely satisfied with our decision in choosing this resort. First, I have to say it was magical going somewhere where it was quiet...no kids, no annoying guests, just peace and quiet. We were looking for somewhere ultimately romantic - where we could just focus on eachother and not be annoyed by party crowds, loud families, etc... and matachica succeeded at providing us with that!
OUR ROOM: We stayed in the "banana" casita (seabreeze 350 sqft) - perfect size for us! We loved the location of our room because since we were all the way in the back corner, no one ever walked past our room - Total Privacy!! We took full advantage of our cozy hammock on our porch and made friends with some little gecko's that liked to hang out on the wall (too cute!). Each day our room was cleaned, towels replaced, and decorated with flowers.
PROPERTY: The beach is beautiful and the water is blue, only problem is that it is filled with seagrass so you need to walk out onto the dock before entering the water. There are plenty of water sports free of charge to utilize while staying at the resort. The pool is nice to chill out by for a bit, but it a lot hotter over there, so I always preferred lounging on the beach or the dock.
FOOD/Mambo: We had the continental breakfast included with our package. You have the choice of cereal and yogurt or bread, hardboiled egg, and fruit. I always opted for the bread/egg option, which was fine for me. Lunch and Dinner were not included and Mambo the onsite restaurant is a bit pricey! Since it was our honeymoon and the food was scrumptious we decided to splurge, but on our next visit, we'll try to eat at more places in town to save a bit more cash! My favorite lunch meal at Mambo was the fish skewers and my favorite dinner meal was the Belizean Lobster - best lobster ever! Do not leave this resort without trying the key lime pie! You wont regret it!!! We did make it into town to try two other restaurants. The first was lunch at Elvi's and the second was lunch at Wild Mango's. Both places were great but offered something different - I highly recommend both!
EXCURSIONS: We only did one tour while staying in Belize due to money and time - we chose the Lamani Ruins tour and it was well worth it.
STAFF: I cannot say enough good things about the incredible staff at Mambo. From the first day we arrived, the staff was welcoming with genuine smiles. They always greeted my husband and I by name morning, afternoon, and evening and always found the time to chat about all different things. This staff is super knowledgeable about their country, their resort, etc...They are very hard workers - working all hours, and never without a smile. I am so pleased we had the pleasure to meet all of them and converse with them whenever possible.
BELIZE: This country is beautiful and has so much to offer. Do not hesitate in vacationing here. There is so much to do and see that you can't simply do it in one trip. We will definitely return soon!
San Pedro: The main area of town is very small only three streets. We never felt unsafe here or bothered by locals trying to sell us stuff. We did not spend anytime there in the evening, so I can't comment about how things are at night, but I would say treat it as it is anywhere else you are unfamiliar with - just use caution! Don't forget to stop in the chocolate store next door to Wild Mango's!
If you are planning a trip to Belize - don't wait - book it now! Don't stay anywhere unless it's at MATACHICA!
Thank you to the staff at Matachica for touching our hearts and making our honeymoon special! We will return again soon!!! Your friends in the banana room :)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Matachica Resort & Spa is an extraordinary, secluded and peaceful resort that sits on the beach facing the Caribbean Sea and the second largest barrier reef on the planet earth. The resort has 27 single unit casitas, each air conditioned with private porch. All rooms except SeaView Cabanas have one king sized bed, SeaView Cabanas have two queens. We also have one two-bedroomm 2-bathroom SeaBreeze Villa. All with beautiful Frette and Matouk linens, and exquisite decor. Swimming pool, Jacuzzi, spa, small gym, sea kayaks, snorkel gear, pedal boats, paddle boards, bicycles, complimentary internet access. A minimum age requirement of 14 years for children applies. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, MrandMrsSmith, Orbitz, Hotwire, Travelocity and Jetsetter so you can book your Matachica Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Matachica Beach Hotel San Pedro
- Matachica Beach San Pedro
- Matachica Resort & Spa Belize/San Pedro