Thank goodness Fiji, Bora Bora and the Seychelles were just too much of a stretch for our honeymoon - otherwise we may not have found Matachica! After much deliberation, we landed on Belize for our week long site of decompression. Not wanting the typical commercial resort, Matachica proved to be the perfect solution for a quiet, relaxing and top-notch get-away!
From the moment we landed, the Matachica team took world-class care to ensure we felt at home and had everything we needed. Charlie met us upon arrival on Ambergris Caye, loaded our bags in a golf cart and whisked us to the pier. Once on Matachica's boat, he took our drink order and assured us it would be cold and waiting upon our arrival. After letting our hair blow in the breeze for the 10 minute boat ride, sure enough - we were welcomed with drinks and a tour of the property.
Located 5 miles North of San Pedro, Matachica is positioned on a very quiet and secluded part of the island. Other than other couples (yes - this is a very couple-centric resort) enjoying their day, there is not too much activity on the property. There are always a few folks chatting at the bar, space is always open at the pool and the kayaks, bikes and paddle boards are available to take out.
We stayed in Aqua, one of the reef view suites. It was no problem at all not having a beach front unit - we had a great view of the ocean and were very conveniently located next to the pool. The air conditioning worked well and during the day we would let the breeze blow through with the fans going. Each morning we used the hammock on our porch and each evening melted away in the comforts of our luxury bed.
As for dining, Matachica has a lot to offer. For breakfast, we never strayed from the complimentary continential breakfast. There are two options - with each you get a hard boiled egg and small selection of fruit. The first option comes with yogurt and cereal, or the second comes with toast and either a cinnamon roll, banana bread or oatmeal cookie. Throughout the week we tried every option and our favorite was the cinnamon roll - really you cannot go wrong though and unless you want a huge meal, this is the perfect way to start the day!
The lunch menu at Mambo is also quite delish. We tried the seafood burrito, pizza diablo and fish tacos - MAKE SURE TO TRY THE FISH TACOS!!! For dinner, the best of the appetizers is the Mambo Carpaccio - a delicious fresh thinnly sliced piece of snapper in a lime and soy dressing. Our favorite of the mains was the pasta frutti di mare! And of course dessert - definitely give the caramel flan with coconut ice cream a chance!
There are other dining options near Matachica, though not many. Within a short walk is Jambel Jerk Pit and Portofino. Both are worth a shot. The water taxi schedule is also posted on the board at the front desk every day - there are several complimentary boat rides each day, or you can always take the Coastal Express for $10 / person each way. For other dining options in and around town, be sure to check out some of my other reviews from the trip!
On our first day and last day, we opted to leverage the Jade spa and get couples massages. Though a bit expensive, this time of relaxation was more than worth it! They did a fantastic job.
While the optics, setting, property and food are all fantastic, what really makes Matachica shine are the people. The team truly is world-class. Everyone, from Adam and Israel at the bar, to Charlie and Chris who captain the boat and several of the excursions, to Jonathan at the pier who helped to clean up the conch shell I found while snorkeling, I am not sure I have had the pleasure of such a top-notch staff at a resort. They take pride in what they do and literally do not know how to tell a guest "no" - anything you want, you get!
One part adult summer camp, another part couples retreat and topped with smoothering of paradise, Matachica should not be missed - of course not until after you leave. I miss you Matachica, and cannot to return!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Matachica Resort & Spa is an extraordinary, secluded and peaceful resort that sits on the beach facing the Caribbean Sea and the second largest barrier reef on the planet earth. The resort has 27 single unit casitas, each air conditioned with private porch. All rooms except SeaView Cabanas have one king sized bed, SeaView Cabanas have two queens. We also have one two-bedroomm 2-bathroom SeaBreeze Villa. All with beautiful Frette and Matouk linens, and exquisite decor. Swimming pool, Jacuzzi, spa, small gym, sea kayaks, snorkel gear, pedal boats, paddle boards, bicycles, complimentary internet access. A minimum age requirement of 14 years for children applies. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, MrandMrsSmith, Orbitz, Hotwire, Travelocity and Jetsetter so you can book your Matachica Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Matachica Beach Hotel San Pedro
- Matachica Beach San Pedro
- Matachica Resort & Spa Belize/San Pedro