Matachica Resort & Spa
$280
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Banyan Bay Suites(San Pedro)(Great Value!)
$148
Banana Beach Resort(San Pedro)(Great Value!)
$103
$99
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
SunBreeze Hotel(San Pedro)(Great Value!)
$192
  • Pool
Caribbean Villas Hotel(San Pedro)(Great Value!)
$166
$126
El Secreto(San Pedro)
$420
$329
Orbitz.com
Sapphire Beach Resort(San Pedro)(Great Value!)
$140
Ramon's Village Resort(San Pedro)(Great Value!)
$240
$220
$170
TripAdvisor
1,031 results
All reviewsmata chicabeachfront casitajade spaour honeymoonview suitegaia riverlodgewater taxiambergris cayefishpaddle boatscoconut mojitomain buildingmosquito nettingsea breezerojo barminute boat rideturn down service
Reviewed April 17, 2012

Wow! What a great spot! I am still depressed about being home! We spent the first 4 days of our trip in Belize at MataChica's sister hotel Five Sisters Lodge (which was also amazing and highly recommended for a stay in the Jungle) before coming to MataChica for the last 4 days of our trip. We had caught an earlier flight to Ambergris and were nervous that our transport service wouldn't be able to pick us up since we were two hours earlier than expected. After a 15 minute plane ride to the Cayes, Charlie was ALREADAY waiting for us at the airport to pick us up in his golf cart and than he took us in a boat to get to the resort (one of the attendants at Maya Airlines called the hotel as we were leaving the airport so we weren't sure if the hotel had received our message). Needless to say, our trip was off to a great start! When we got to the hotel, we were greeted and there were daiquiri's (our drink of choice) waiting for us. The service throughout our stay was WONDERFUL. The staff is always remembering what cabana (banana) we were staying at as well as our names. When I went to buy aloe, the hotel store was out but the general manager said he would have someone get some from town later that evening and they delivered it to our cabana within a few hours; he also greeted us at dinner the night he found out that we had stayed at 5 Sisters.

Food: The food is amazing and every meal was delicious and the portions are pretty large. The fish was very fresh and the Chocolate Souffle is delicious (order at beginning of meal because it takes 20 mins to make).

Cabana: we opted not to get an ocean front cabana. We had a slight view from "Banana" but honestly, we were mostly sitting in lounge chairs (cushioned) by the water for most of the day. If you want to sit in your hammock ocean-side than I would reserve a beach front cabana but honestly, any cabana on site is great. The bathroom was beautiful and the beds were King-sized that were decorated w/ flower petals every day. The room also has a safe which was great for keeping valuables.

Excursions: We chose to go on a sailboat (catamaran) ride to snorkel at Hol Chan and Shark and Ray Alley. We had a fabulous time but it was an all day event.

Pool/beach: Pool is new and beautiful w/ Jacuzzi and in-water lounge chairs. Beach was full with double or single cushioned lounge chairs w/ umbrellas (as well as along dock). Hammocks scattered throughout the grounds as well. Beach has vegetation but was shallow and there were a ton of conch shells!

Staff: Everyone was fabulous! Thanks to the crew who provided snorkel gear/kayaks/paddleboards etc. I even got a conch shell cleaned for me! Adam, Christian, Reynaldo were great and always made a point to remember our names/cabana.

Last but not least, we wanted to send a SPECIAL thanks to Ruben. A fellow friend/co-worker of his from 5 Sisters told us that he loved to fish. He took us pier-fishing after his shift (two nights) and we caught 3-5 small fish! He was so nice and it was really fun to have him fish with us, especially after he had been working all day. He definitely made our trip a special one.

Other amenities: we didn't have a chance to go to the spa/gym (yeah right) but they did have a a computer lounge w/ free wi-fi, a pool table, and other games. Some say that they wished they had wi-fi at their cabanas but to be honest, it was nice NOT to have my cellphone in hand at all times checking email/facebook etc. It is there to check if you need it.

Thanks again MataChica! Hope to see you again soon! We will definitely recommend your fabulous resort to our friends and others.

Your friends from the "Banana" Cabana

ps. I never write reviews on TripAdvisor and will also be doing one for 5 sisters.

Room Tip: Bring bug spray, sunscreen, aloe. There are still bugs even though it is the near the beach. Also, the bar closes fairly early so if you are looking to party, it is not the place to stay. But the service/location/food (basically everything) is WELL worth it. You get pretty tired after a long day at the beach that it doesn't matter. Call us lame but we were in bed pretty early anyway!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank SAC R
Reviewed April 16, 2012

Matachica Resort is truly a luxury stay in Ambergris Caye. My friend and I stayed in the cranberry casita for 3 nights and from check-in to when we left were treated with such personalized service. I made my reservation a month beforehand and was kept in contact with Burga in reservations. She coordinated our pickup and drop-off with the on-site staff. My friend and I were coming from Caye Caulker via water taxi and we didn't make reservations until 2 days before check-in. Burga was very accommodating and had the staff of Matachica meet us at the ferry dock.
Once we arrived, they had drinks ready for us. I noticed that the majority staying at Matachica were couples, but I did see one family with 2 teenage kids. The beds with Frette linens were comfortable and I took full advantage of the mosquito netting at night. Anita at the front desk called and confirmed my Blue Hole excursion with a company I booked with on my own. The continental breakfast that was included was good, but I really liked the coffee. It seemed like the resort was pretty quiet at night, with guests retiring to their rooms after dinner. I did enjoy the bar on my last night and bartenders Dennis, Alex, and Ruben kept me company.
My only gripe is that I wished the WIFI connection reached the rooms and not just the restaurant and lounge. Also, it would be nice to have a TV in the room because I like to know what's happening at home even while on vacation and I like to sleep with the TV on. Other than that, I would really recommend Matachica Resort.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank mmirn415
Reviewed April 14, 2012

This resort has a wonderful spa. The restaurant on site is also very good. We went on the reef fishing tour and they will clean and cook the fish you catch and serve it for lunch / dinner. The tour operators and staff were all very friendly and accomodating. The one thing I did not like was the mattresses on the beds. They were pretty hard. So if hard beds are not your cup of tea you might want to look at other options.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 14, 2012

I have been going to Matachica for 7 years two times a year. AMAZING!!!!!

Room Tip: Get a beach side cabin.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 12, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Matachica for 5 days, on the first leg of our honeymoon. (We arrived April 2nd). From the moment we got off the plane in San Pedro, the staff at MataChica exceeded our expectations. They picked us up in a golf cart, transfered us to a boat, and had a welcome drink waiting when we docked at the resort. We rented a waterfront bungalow (Plum!!!) and it was beautiful. The water was less then ten feet from our front porch, and everything about the atmosphere was relaxing. The grounds are beautiful, and the staff are exceptional. We used their spa, Jade Spa, used their free bicycles to self tour the island for the day, and ate delicious local breakfasts (free) each morning. The tours were extremely inexpensive, with small groups, and phenomincal MataChica staff guiding us. We snorkled at Hol Chan/Shark Ray Alley, and it was extrordinary. It was a highlight of our trip. We used the water taxi service to stroll through the nearby town of san pedro, and walked up and down the beach trying local restaurants out. I would give this resort a 10 out of 10, and this review is not doing it justice by any means. Having turn down service every night, and fresh flowers strewn throughout our room everyday were wonderful touches. Book this hotel---you cant go wrong with any room on the resort grounds, and it absolutely beautiful.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great, but the beachfront bungalows are exceptional. If you cant get one, dont be dissapointed. The resort is small, and all lavishly furnished no matter where your proximity to the ocean is.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple