“Beautiful!”

Matachica Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed March 4, 2012

We loved our stay here! We stayed in the reef view suites- with just 100 feet between us and the ocean, it really was delightful. Incredibly romantic- and everyone was so helpful. We had dinner at the restaurant and two lunches, all very tasty. We mostly lounged by the pool, it was warm and sunny, but both the ocean and the pool was a bit chilly for me, but the jacuzzi was awesome!

Room Tip: We stayed one back from the beachfront, and it was divine! A little more private...
1  Thank lora d
There are newer reviews for Matachica Resort & Spa

Reviewed February 29, 2012

Matachica is memorable in so many ways. Upon arrival the friendly staff had a cocktail ready and waiting, great way to start the holiday.
Our beach bungalow was about 100 feet from the beach and perfect and clean in everyway and plenty of space with a hammock right out the front. The bed was comfortable and I slept so well listening to the oceanbreeze float through the shutters.The staff were amazing, helpful and approachable, the food was fresh & delicious everyday, not one bad meal and the presentation was outstanding.The fresh tortillas at breakfast were my fravorite! There were plenty of activities availalbe for those that wanted be more active, kayaking, snorkeling, or like me hang by the beach or the pool to read and relax.
I would recommend taking some bug spray, we went during February and there were some of those pesty mozzy's around.
Matachica has daily complimentary boat rides to San Pedro so that makes for more fun to go out try the local cuisine, as for us, we enjoyed relaxing by the beach/pier/and pool. The beach water was crystal clear and you can see the sea life swimming around right off the pier. The beach front was cleaned daily by the staff. If you really want to get away and feel like you are the only ones at the resort, this is the place, there were no kids, no crowds or having to wait in line for anything not even meals. We always found a shady spot if the sun was too much, no having to fight for a beach front seat. My husband didn't wear shoes or flipflops for the entire trip, very laid back. The setting is romantic and one of the best I have ever been too. Memorable in every way! Thank you all at Matachica!

Room Tip: Take some bug spray. The Bungalows have airconditioning and fans, nice to have a choice. Take sunta...
2  Thank PAC2012
Reviewed February 27, 2012

Stunning hotel with beautiful rooms and beach front location. The transfer from the airport to the hotel with welcome drink on arrival was excellent, the room was gorgeous and so was our stay!

Why people want to swim in the pool when there's the caribbean, I will never understand, but there we go.

The hotel runs complimentary boat rides into san pedro, good for exploring and if so - to get a better feel for real wholesome Belizean food, try El fugon - excellent food and great service.

Breakfast was great, as well as lunch and dinner - sad that there wasn't more Belizean stuff on the menus, though.

Other trips well worth going to are Hol Chan and a visit to Caye Caulker by catamaran.

One of the best bits about this place is that it is not in the town centre, which is fun, but very busy - it's a real haven away. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: we had a poolside room with a partial sea view - I would recommend. as lovely as the beach front on...
3  Thank traveller88888london
Reviewed February 20, 2012

My wife and I researched resorts on Ambergris Caye, Belize for weeks. We decided on Matachica Beach Resort and we were more than satisfied. Here's why:

Right from the start, we knew this vacation was going to be perfect. We were greeted by Henry at the airport who was very nice and made us feel very comfortable from the start. Upon arrival to the resort, we were greeted by the amazing staff and a cocktail of our choice! We were both blown away with this greeting and special treatment.

The beach was fantastic - comfortable chairs, lots of shade, and prestine sand. The beachfront was cleaned daily by the staff. We looked into other resorts and most did not have the amount of beachfront property that Matachcia has. We were going for a unique beach vacation and this beach was absolutely amazing. The water was like bath water. Many days, we felt like we were the only ones on this pristine beach because of how spread out it is. The water activities staff was excellent and recommended a kayaking trip out to the reef to snorkel.. right from the beach of the resort. It was spectacular!

The food and drinks were incredible - the Mambo Restaurant's food and service was outstanding. It was so good, that we didn't even feel the need to try other restaurants on the island. We have never been on vacation and felt that every meal was delicious and the service excellent. You can eat indoors, outdoors and we even spent many of our meals right on the beach. Raymundo was always there to provide us with any drink or meal request so we could enjoy the relaxation on the beach or at the pool.

Comfortable, private rooms - we stayed in the reef view casitas, which had a small view of the water, and close to the pool. The rooms were very clean and spacious. We loved the decor and definitely could have spent our days relaxing in our hammock on the front porch.

We enjoyed the attention and respect given by the Matachica staff, everyone was more that exceptional! Everyone was so nice and addressed you by your first names. We felt very comfortable and appreciated.

We were looking for a laid back vacation, and walking around barefoot on the lush property made us feel like we were in paradise. We really felt pampered and relaxed at this resort. We have traveled all over the world and by far, we have never been so relaxed as we did at Matachica.

We never like to go anywhere twice on our vacations, but Matachica is the one place we are definitely planning a future trip back here.

Thank you Matachica!
Scott and Angela

Room Tip: Reef View Suites were excellent.
7  Thank Scott H
Reviewed February 17, 2012

I'm trying to avoid overused words like "paradise", and "perfect", but that may be impossible.  Our first foray into Central America was both an adventure, and the trip of a lifetime.  Matachica was a huge part of that.  I could prattle on and on about the impressive staff, and probably will, later.  I could literally talk your ears off about this place.  How do I edit down to just a few pertinent comments?

First, I should menton that the decision to stay at Matachica was well researched.  I was sure it would meet our every expectation for a long-awaited (many years) honeymoon, and that it would live up to its reputation.  I had to be blown away.  It's not like I'd be doing it over.  Huge bill to fill, and we couldnt have been blessed with a more idyllic location.

A picture perfect palapa-roofed hut right on the beach is called a "deluxe beachfront casita", I think.  That's what we had, and it was nothing if not heavenly.  There were times I felt like we were on the set of a lush big-budget movie... like the view out our louvered front door was painted on by a set crew.  In fact, it was likely the very best Belize had brought to us, situated along a tiny stretch of super private beach on Ambergris Caye.

For the mundane lists of exactly how your every earthly expectation will be expertly met by the staff here, see any number of other Matachica reviews ticking off the "your wish is my command" list.  They are all true, and no blown-away Trip Advisor descriptions that I read were overdone.  I will attempt to do this differently, so I don't simply repeat, repeat, repeat.

I have a huge imagination.  Seldom does reality meet whatever ridiculously ideal scenarios I dream up as I savor the anticipation of trip planning.  Matachica was an exception.  I hadn't imagined how relaxed I would feel as I wandered thru our own tropical fantasy-like 10 days here.  I hadn't actually expected my expectations to be exceeded.  If you stay tense & tuned up at this place, you seriously need help beyond an extended holiday in paradise.  Used wisely, your time here could be enough of a recharge to get you thru a years worth of corporate tortures, or whatever other worldly stressors you deal with back home.

Should I admit that I downloaded every single piece of music played in the bar/restaurant that I could find online?  I now have a playlist called "Matachica".  I conjure up the feeling of aimlessly wandering barefoot thru the place, wearing a sarong & quietly contemplating the real priorities in my life.  Or just zoning out.  Or chatting with my honey about nothing more pressing than my morning beach walk.  I love the music here.

Sorry if I'm jumping from thought to thought - but I dream of lobster.  Seriously.  And of fresh fish, seafood, and artfully prepared meals that are neither too arty nor too ordinary.  No meal at Mambo disappointed.  From service to preparation to presentation, I use that word "perfect" yet again.

We sampled every restaurant view, but sort of had "our" table while there.  You could eat inside, outside, by the beach, in the bar, wherever.  These were the big decisions.  The length of our stay allowed us to sample almost the entire menu.  We ate elsewhere, and enjoyed it, but looked forward to coming back to Mambo.  The chef fed our souls as well as our stomachs.  I felt pampered and appreciated.

I'm just a guest, but felt like more.  I felt like the "best" guest.  The honored one.  The favorite & most anticipated.  There's no way the entire Matachica staff can be this attentive to everyone.  Other guests we meet describe similar experiences.  I find it hard to believe they're this nice to everyone.  I'd rather believe its just me, but it seems others feel its just them, too.

How do they do that?  Not one person on staff was less than impressive.  I wanted to spend so much more than 10 days here.  I wanted to stay.  I'm sure if I stayed longer - it would have been impossible to continue making me feel this special.  I can be a real pain in the neck, sometimes.

My husband was the one who said he needed this trip.  I think he was referring to his mental health.  He needed to get away.  Matachica was just what the doctor ordered.  He was so happy & relaxed he cut his pain meds in half.  Said he actually felt less pain in his shoulders the whole time we were there.  A couples massage in the Jade Spa was the cherry on top of that.  Our therapists, Miss Anita & Miss Sylvia were divine.  Experienced hands worked expertly to melt away months of tension.  My honey usually resists this kind of pampering.  He let go & said he felt transported.  Not sure where he went, mentally, but when he came back I liked him a whole lot better.

I was "Miss Angie", my husband was "Mr. Tom".  These were our roles.  We were asked about 1st/last name preferences on day 1.  We didn't request the Miss & Mr., but it made me want to call everyone "Miss".  So I did.  Starting with Miss Andrea at the front desk.  She made everything happen.  Magically.  And with a sparkle.

Our first experience with Matachica was before we even arrived, though, via email & phone conversation with Miss Burga, Matachica's wedding & special events director.  From when we first spoke, it seemed she was busy orchestrating every detail in the whole place especially for our arrival.  We are Royalty - that's our actual name - but we don't usually get treated that way.  Thank you, Miss Burga.  I will never forget you, and we never even met.

In Belize, our first Matachica contact was our Captain; Anar.  No one could better represent Matachica than Anar.  He was warm, welcoming, and wonderful.  Which he continued to be, throughout our entire stay.  It was as if we were his only priority.  Again, impossible, but that's how it felt.  He was knowledgable about most everything, and was intelligent beyond his years.  If I had a son, I would like him to be just like Anar.  His work ethic, attitude, personality, and temperment are the makings of a successful person, which he will surely continue to be in whatever he chooses to do.  Matachica chose wisely or got seriously lucky when this guy was hired.

I had to ask about Miss Patricia.  I never saw her, but she attended to our room like we were kings.  She snuck in & out, making things beautiful day after day, sometimes more than once a day, like a secret angel.  Her efforts were so appreciated, friends we met while there discussed the special touches she left for them in thier casitas.  Seems she was paying special attention to other guests, as well as to us.  She specialized in the details.

Speaking of friends we met - what a cool bunch of guests this place attracts.  We met like-minded couples we will be in touch with back home.  There was no shortage of witty & entertaining conversation, if you had a mind for it.  We did.  I enjoyed the couples only feel, the solitude of my own private "me" time, as well as the company of interesting guests from all over.  It was the best of all opportunities for whatever your mood was, socially.  I sat silently in the mornings, writing.  My honey & I had time as alone as we wanted.  Dinner could just be us - or with the couple next door from a few states away.

To me - Matachica was like camp for big kids.  We were the big kids.  There were adventures beyond belief, all arranged by the staff, every detail.  There were endless opportunities for private contemplation.  In fact - if you wanted to hibernate like hermits - you could find no better place.  There were a few times we took meals on our veranda, feeling quiet or tired, just to chill in our aloneness, together.  I suppose that's part of the "honeymoon" appeal of Matachica.  Every moment here is special, and customized to your expectations.

We met the owner while here.  Seems this is the vibe he's going for, and the manager, Gricel, is expertly overseeing to the details of its execution.  Gricel overlooks nothing.  You will likely never notice the actual work he does, yet Matachica would be decidedly different, without his unique maneuvers directing its proverbial sails.  The mix of talent here seems inspired.

Speaking of talent, the best for last - Miss Abi, Miss Issy, Miss Nayelie, Miss Myra, and Miss Janet.  You will see them every day.  Pray they are not on vacation during your stay, as you'll want to enjoy the same level of awesome that we did.  Each person you encounter on staff is a perfect Matachica representative.  They were the always available ambassadors of Matachica.

Jose, Israel, Adam, and Isaac, enthusiastic assets to the bar, restaurant, and resort.  Don't miss the opportunity to chat with each of them, if you're looking for local info.  Miss Abi in Mambo - a very nurturing soul.  She advised hot tea w/ limes & Belizean honey for my sore throat.  I think it was what my Mom would have prescribed. It worked!

Matachica is a place to make memories.  If you are single, Mom & daughter, or just friends, don't let the honeymoon pitch steer you away.  You will fit in, whatever your walk of life.  This is most certainly "honeymoon special" - but who can argue with that?  It's not like there are wedding bells hanging from the palm trees, its just a guaranteed, picture-perfect, paradise.  There.  I need to stop somewhere, this might as well be it.

Room Tip: There was no room (casita) that looked undesirable. We had the one featured in the brochure, "...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Angelina R
Reviewed February 15, 2012

We were referred to Mata Chica Resort by a good friend. Not only were we not disappointed, it was even better than we had expected. The property is great, only 24 casitas - no riding down elevators or walking a mile to get to the pool or beach. Everything is close but yet private. We stayed in the Beach Front Casita and it was spectacular to wake up each morning to the beautiful sunrise and white sand beach with crystal blue water. The food was exceptional, the staff extremely friendly, warm and fun. It was very relaxing. Lots to do if you want, snorkeling, fishing, or nothing to do if you want - just soak up the sun and the peace and quiet. We snorkeled and saw so many beautiful things. We went fishing, caught 9 fish and brought them back to the resort where they were promptly cooked for us and served to us for a fabulous lunch - Delicious! We will definitely go back and would recommend it to anyone who needs to switch off and enjoy life in a warm and beautiful place.

Mark & Connie
San Diego, California

Room Tip: Beach front Casitas are a bit more expensive but I would highly recommend it as you do tend to spen...
6  Thank Connie G
Reviewed February 15, 2012

My girlfriend and I recently stayed at Matachica resort for a romantic getaway and it was terrific! The accommodations are unbeatable. We stayed in a pool view "casita" and immediately felt at home. I had quite a bit of email correspondence prior to arrival with a wonderful woman named Burga Pattinson who was friendly, courteous, and very much on top of everything. She arranged a fishing excursion, our domestic airline transfers, and our pick up from the San Pedro airstrip. We even had two tropical drinks waiting for us at check in to help ease into the island mood (more to come on Burga)...

Our casita was beautifully appointed and we felt right at home. It unfortunately rained the first 3 days we were there but we found plenty to keep ourselves occupied with on their soft-as-a-cloud bed and amazing linens. The staff was very friendly and eager to assist, especially Reymundo, who made sure we were never in need of a drink in our hands as we caught some sun (once it came out). Our housekeeper was a sweetheart too! The food at the restaurant is very good. We were especially blown away by the authentic ravioli and the ridiculously good sauce it came in. On the morning I had a fishing trip scheduled I left before breakfast was being served but a kind young man (forgot his name) made sure to pack me up some toast and jam and a banana! How awesome is that?!

One of the coolest things they offer is the one and two seater ocean kayaks right there on the beach that they let you take out free of charge. A short paddle out to the breakers and you can anchor your kayak to a bouy and hop right out and snorkel to your heart's content. And the snorkeling was spectacular! All sorts of vibrant and beautiful sea life to be seen. We did this every day, sometimes twice a day. Also, when the reef fishing tour comes back in the afternoon, the guide - a nice guy named Chris - cleans the fish and all sorts of critters swim up to the dock for a free snack. We saw barracuda and stingray the size of boogie boards. Don't be scared, though, we swam right by them with our snorkels.

It is very quiet and tranquil on this end of the island but if you wanted to head into town there are water taxis that come by and zip you along to your destination. The town is fun and lively with lots of bars and restaurants and live music.

One final note (back to Burga), there was a small issue that I had regarding one of the tours but this was immediately and professionally rectified beyond my satisfaction by Ms. Pattinson. I am in the hospitality business myself and you just can't teach this sort of service. If I could clone her I would hire an army of Burgas to staff my hotel. This was the icing on a cake that I can't wait to eat back on the beach at Matachica. Drink in one hand, my lady's hand in the other.

Thank you, Matachica and Burga. We will be back.

Nick and Felicia

Room Tip: we stayed in the casitas (not beachfront) and they were gorgeous!
3  Thank Nick C