This past November was our second trip to Matachica, our first being two years ago. Our wonderful experience has only gotten better. We've spent now a total of 16 nights at this resort, and would never consider staying anywhere else on Ambergris Caye.
First the resort:
The resort itself is beautiful, clean and relaxing with the best beach access of anyplace we've seen. Let's make something clear. The entire resort is on the sand. You don't need shoes anywhere on the premises! If you want to walk around a resort in fancy shoes, this is not the place for you! This most recent visit we stayed in the Plum Deluxe Beachfront Casita. The pictures just don't do it justice. On our previous stay we were in Papaya Beachfront Casita. Both rooms were fantastic with the ocean just steps away. The Papaya casita remained comfortable even as we were brushed by a hurricane passing through Nicaragua. The beach is constantly being raked and cleaned of sea grass, the pool and grounds are lush and immaculate, the Mambo restaurant/bar and lobby are clean and comfortable - you'll want to hang out there. The air conditioners in both casitas kept the place nice and chilly and was more than adequate. Mambo restaurant has excellent food that was priced similar to the couple other nice restaurants near the resort (Rojos & Portofino) but with better food.
Although Matachica is 5 miles north of town, there is plenty to do without leaving the hotel. Some of the best snorkeling we did was under the dock!! You'd be amazed at the aquatic life just right there. If you take the kayaks out to the reef, which is a 10 minute paddle, it's even better - even more fish plus beautiful coral. They also have paddle boats, sail boats, bicycles and a workout room, all of which is very well maintained and free to use.
Now the staff:
We cannot say enough about how welcome we feel while at this resort. The staff is extremely professional yet warm. Every staff member makes a point to call you by your name, and they always have a smile and a hello when they see you. It was a great feeling this second time back to see Abby coming out to greet the boat and she actually remembered us from two years ago and gave us a warm hug!
A good example of how the staff goes above and beyond would be from our first trip. Our luggage did not make it to Belize City with us. The desk staff, Joel and Anita, stayed on top of it and took care of making all the phone calls and getting our luggage on the flight and the boat and delivered to our room. We didn't have to do anything but drink Mangotinis!
The Mambo wait staff, Abbey, Izzy & Myra, were fabulous. Myra delivered many a Mangotinis to our casita with a smile on her face. The front desk staff, Joel & Anita, were helpful and aware of all the comings and goings of taxis, boats, outings and helped with anything we needed. The fact that the staff has not changed (other than adding a couple new people) from our previous visit two years ago only tells us that they love their jobs, and it shows.
The manager, Gracel, is fantastic, and obviously knows how to run a successful resort. He also has set an excellent mood in the lobby and restaurant with his selection of music. (One negative reviewer described it as techno. It is so not techno, it's more of a cool groove that would appeal to all ages.)
We've only mentioned a couple staff members here, but from Chris and Charlie's excursions to the housekeeping staff and the bartenders, there isn't a single person at Matachica that isn't exemplary.
The bottom line is that Matachica is Belize to us and is a big part of what draws us to that part of the world. In fact, this past trip in November we got engaged on the Matachica dock and are now considering going back there to get married!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Matachica Resort & Spa is an extraordinary, secluded and peaceful resort that sits on the beach facing the Caribbean Sea and the second largest barrier reef on the planet earth. The resort has 27 single unit casitas, each air conditioned with private porch. All rooms except SeaView Cabanas have one king sized bed, SeaView Cabanas have two queens. We also have one two-bedroomm 2-bathroom SeaBreeze Villa. All with beautiful Frette and Matouk linens, and exquisite decor. Swimming pool, Jacuzzi, spa, small gym, sea kayaks, snorkel gear, pedal boats, paddle boards, bicycles, complimentary internet access. A minimum age requirement of 14 years for children applies. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets and getaroom.com so you can book your Matachica Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Matachica Beach Hotel San Pedro
- Matachica Beach San Pedro
- Matachica Resort & Spa Belize/San Pedro