“Matachica is THE BEST!”

Ranked #8 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Sarasota, Florida
“Matachica is THE BEST!”
Reviewed June 12, 2011

If you are looking for casual luxury in the most beautiful setting with the nicest staff then Matachica is the place for you! We just returned from a week at Matachica and had the most wonderful experience. We cannot say enough good things about this paradise. The staff, the proximity to the reef, the accomodations, the food, the grounds...amazing.
Don't miss the Thursday night chicken drop in San Pedro or the Rojo Lounge right next door to the resort. Try the best margaritas made by Israel. Definitely schedule an excursion at the front desk to go to Hol Chan Reserve where you'll swim with nurse sharks, rays, eels, sea turtles and much more.

Room Tip: Stay in one of the new casitas.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
Bend, Oregon
Reviewed June 10, 2011

My husband and I chose Mata Chica for our honeymoon based on a travel article that we read about Belize. We really couldn't have been happier about our choice! I think it took us 48 hours to stop gushing in amazement about this beautiful resort. The ground are beautiful and perfectly kept; we felt there must have been 4 employees to each guest; always raking the grounds, sweeping the floors, coming out to the pier, the pool etc. to see if we needing anything.
The best part about the place was the employees; we got to know almost all of them by name while there. Jose and Myra, Israel, Abby, etc; we loved you! We felt so pampered during our stay. We each had a massage; it was one of the best I have had.
The food at Mambo was excellent; the continental breakfast was all we needed to feel full until lunch. Beautiful fruit, cheese, boiled egg, toast, etc. And the views from the resort were enough to bring tears...There is a great restaurant and bar next door (Rojo) which provided an alternative to dining location. Not that you would need to leave, but it was nice. The main area of the resort is super cool and chic; I joked with the front desk that I wanted
The rooms were perfect; so nice to have our own bungalow. Everything is so close at this small resort. You do need to take a water taxi into town, but this resort is so spectacular, who would want to leave? Plus, the Mata Chica boat goes in often and is free.
This was definitely a splurge for us; the food and drinks were somewhat expensive but also in line with what we found in Belize as a whole. But worth it for our honeymoon!
We cannot imagine that anyone would be unhappy for a second during their stay at Mata Chica and we can't wait to go back!

University Place, Washington
Reviewed June 10, 2011

My husband and I spent 4 nights at Matachica after a 3-night stay in the jungle on mainland Belize. Matachica service was exceptional. We were met at the airport by Charlie, took a golf cart to the dock, and a short boat ride later we were at Matachica. Met by the hotel staff and given a brief tour of the hotel and a delicious margarita! The resort was relaxing and beautifully maintained. PROS: excellent views of the water from the beachfront casitas, the hotel staff provide excellent service, snorkel trip to Hol Chan Marine was well worth it! CONS: the bar and food prices are heart-attack inducing (although delicious -- $12 USD for a margarita!) and you have to use the hotel's boat schedule which is based on guest arrivals and departures to get into San Pedro or take a water taxi which is $10 per person

1 Thank SNH15708
Prince Frederick, Maryland
Reviewed June 8, 2011

My husband and I spent a week at the Matachica Beach Resort for our honeymoon in May 2011. From the moment we landed on the island we knew it would be a great trip! A friendly resort employee greeted us at the landing strip, took us via golf cart to a pier where we got on a boat. He took a drink order from us for our complimentary welcome drink that would be waiting for us when we arrived at the resort. After a 10 minute boat ride along the beautiful coast of Ambergris Caye, we arrived at the resort which was stunning. Private brightly colored beachfront casitas, with lounge chairs and hammocks lined the beach front of the resort. I could go on forever about how beautiful everything was!
The best part was the exceptional customer service of the staff. Everyone was more than helpful, never intrusive or rude, and genuinely appeared to love their jobs. Even the employees that raked the beach every day were friendly, helpful, and a delight to have around.
If you are looking for a quiet, romantic, beautiful place to spend a vacation, I would definitely reccomend this resort. The icing on the cake is no TV, and no phones in the casitas!

Room Tip: beachfront is worth the extra money!
Atlanta
Reviewed June 8, 2011

My husband and I recently returned from a honeymoon in Belize, where we spent 5 nights at Matachica. We could not have been more pleased. I had been reading the tripadvisor reviews daily for months leading up to our honeymoon, anxiously awaiting what others had to say about the resort. We can finally post our own review.

Matachica was the perfect combination of relaxation and fun. We always had our pick of lots of different hammocks, beach beds, pool chairs, etc. At times we felt like we had the place to ourselves. Everyone we met was so nice, including the staff. The beach front casitas are the way to go. They are breezy and close to everything. We did the Taste of Paradise Package and this was definitely the way to go (included all our meals too). We went reef fishing (they cooked our fish for us and it was so yummy!), snorkeling, had a couples massage, kayaked and stuffed ourselves silly on fresh food and the most delicious margaritas. Our package was only for 4 nights so on the 5th night we branched out and went to Rojo Lounge next door. We were greatly disappointed and the portions were gigantic. Matachica was perfect for us! We highly recmomend it and will be back for sure.

2 Thank honeymoonsearchin11
Tampa, FL
Reviewed May 24, 2011

I can't begin to describe how amazing this resort and it's staff were for us. We had lost luggage that they helped to find, they organized a trip to the doctor for me, and put up with numerous changes in our scheduled activities, plus they did it with a smile. We ate and drank primarily at the resort and Mambo, the restaurant, because of the warm and welcoming environment.

To the staff: Anita, Joel, Chris, Israel, Isadora, Honor, Niella, and all the others that we can't remember or didn't actually meet- thank you so much for everything!

We also met Danny, the owner, who was also very friendly and hospitable. You can tell he takes pride in the resort and his staff.

The room was beautiful and the cleaning ladies did an excellent job. We never saw them, but they came through the room once to clean it, place fresh flowers around the room, and filled the water pitcher then a second time to turn the bed down and turn on the lights.

The resort was filled with couples which also added to the experience. We ended up on diving trips with one couple from the resort and a trip to the ruins with another couple from the resort. This made it even more pleasurable because you saw familiar faces at meals and the pool.

We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: The Reefview Suite had a great view and was huge!
Durham, nc
Reviewed May 23, 2011

My wife and I just returned from a 5 night stay at Matachica. We went on their “Taste of Paradise” package. Let me start off by saying there wasn’t a single misstep on their part. Absolute perfection! Before traveling I read some of the criticisms on here and at points tried to see if I found them to be true. I’m amazed that anyone can come back from this resort disappointed. The only thing I can think is that some people don’t realize what they’ve booked. This isn’t a Cancun mega-resort with the huge pool and party scene. Nor is it a Beaches resort which caters to those with kids. What you do get at Matachica is absolute peace and quiet. There were many times when we might as well be the only guests staying there. The rooms are quiet, clean, and adorned with fresh flowers daily. We stayed in a Delux Beach Front Casita. The staff at this resort can only be described as Beautiful. Every time we encountered a staff member we were greeted with a smile and most knew us by name. They would frequently engage you in conversation about your experiences on the island (snorkeling, diving, and dining). Adam deserves a special thank you for delivering a wonderful private3 course dinner to our casita in a driving wind storm. Charlie led us on a wonderful snorkeling trip to Hol Chan and Shark Ray alley. He even assisted one guest who wasn’t that comfortable snorkeling to ensure she had just as good an experience as the rest of us. I was taken on ½ day fishing trip with Chris. Outside of casting and reeling I didn’t have to lift a finger. This guy knew what he was doing. Upon return all the fish were cleaned and fileted. Chef Fernando made us fish tacos for lunch and cooked the rest for dinner to our liking. Overall the food was delicious. I believe I ordered the Grouper 3 times. Also the ceviche is to die for. Israel and Jose made fantastic drinks. The Mambo Sunset was AWESOME!!!!!!!!!
As for the beach, yes there is sea grass growing right off the resort and pretty much the island as a whole. But well… that’s the way it is. Again this isn’t Cancun. If you take a minute and look you’ll actually see a bunch of sea life in ankle deep water. My wife and I saw an eel swimming right off the beach. There’s also a large Ray that hangs out by the dock and seems to know when the fishing trips come back. The kayak out to the reef takes only a few minutes and is so worth it. We were able to take 2 trips out and the coral formations and fish are magnificent. On our second trip we saw a large nurse shark lying on the bottom.
We explored San Pedro town twice. Once briefly on foot but cut it short because of the heat, the second time by golf cart. We bought some beautiful wood carvings. What I enjoyed the most is that it wasn’t completely inundated with cheesy tourist shops. The town is mainly there for the people that live there. Sure there are a few t-shirt shops but for the most part it’s a Central American island town.
We had lunch one day at Waruguma. Rustic to say the least but the food was delicious. We had conch tacos and fresh snapper cooked in a coconut crème.
I generally don’t like taking trips to the same destination over and over but this place would have to be an exception. I have never taken a vacation and felt so completely relaxed. Thank you to all the Matachica Staff for an absolute perfect week for my wife and I.

I would be happy to answer any questions anyone may have about this resort!

2 Thank cxtopher