“A peaceful,relaxing visit”

Ranked #8 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Houston, TX
“A peaceful,relaxing visit”
Reviewed December 6, 2006

My husband and I stayed here in May 2006 for 5 days. We had an unbelievably relaxing visit. We stayed in the "Rainforest Suite" which is pretty pricey but well worth the expense. Our last night we had to move to a "Plantation Suite" ...I forget the #, but it was over the restaurant overlooking the pool. This room was close to the same price as the RS but not at all worth it. It felt closed-in and very basementy to me. Anyway, The RS was wonderful. It is like having your own little house right on the beach. We enjoyed opening the entire beach-side wall to let in the breezes day and night. We had read that you need your ac on at all times, but we did not use it. Why go all the way there to stay on the beach and miss out on the smells and sounds? Anyway, it remained cool enough for us an night. People also mention the bugs, but we didn't see one bug our entire stay...not even a fly. Maybe we got lucky, I don't know.

The service was great and the staff was very friendly. We enjoyed the food, especially breakfast with their homemade bread/toast and fresh-squeezed OJ...YUM! We mostly relaxed in the lounge chairs in front of our Suite by the water and read (I finished 2 books!) and played scrabble and yahtzee. We ventured into town 2 or three times using both golf carts and bicycles...great fun.

We also went on the snorkel tour to Shark/Stingray Alley which was very cool. I never thought in a million years that I would get into the water with sharks, but I did. The only warning I will give is that the water is choppy. I got sea sick during the snorkel and had to remain in the boat for the last half. I had only snorkeled in Hawaii where there was a reef that made the water very still. Since there is a reed here I thought it would be the same, but it was absolutely not.

All in all we would both highly recommend this resort, but listen....if you cannot afford the "Rainforest Suite" or it is booked, wait until you can get it to make the trip. It is highly worth it. If we had been in that "Plantation Suite" the entire trip, I would downgrade it to an "OK" experience.

Stayed May 2006
7 Thank Patti F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
CA
Reviewed November 12, 2006

First off, I forgot what other people wrote about Victoria House so I just re-read some of the posts below. I have to agree with several of the other people's posts here. Victoria House IS a beautiful resort but the staff is definately off their game. The weather around the islands had been pretty rainy for the last week before we arrived to VH (we were at Turneffe Island before there). So when we arrived on the island, all the streets had potholes and a normal 5 minute cab ride from the airport was now taking 30-45 minutes (seriously if we did not have luggage I would have just walked in the rain!).

We tried to book VH for 3 nights but were told a wedding had booked out the entire resort so could not stay there on day 1. No worries, we booked Banyan Bay Villas & Jenneth at reservations put in a request for an early check in.

I asked Banyan Bay to phone VH and confirm our room was ready and was told it would not be ready now till 3 PM. I called immediately and spoke to Tico who showed not one ounce of customer service. He did not offer up any solutions such as 1) come on over and have lunch while your room is getting cleaned or 2) come on over and join our early morning snorkelling trip or 3) come on over and we will store your bags at reception while you have a drink in our beautiful bar. All he said was "What can I do? We have a wedding party here still and they won't leave."

Considering that this part of our trip was meant to be "romantic" and hubby and I planned to start trying for a child, this was extremly disappointing. Tico did say they would send a taxi for us though. So 1 hour later I asked Banyan Bay to phone VH and send the cab. VH is approximately 2000 feet from Banyan Bay, yet it took 35 minutes for a cab to show up. The weather was sunny then and VH could have sent their own golf cart. But instead, they just called a normal cab service (heck I could have done this myself and not sat in the Banyan Bay lobby for 35 mins). Again, they dropped the ball here.....5 star resorts should have great communication skills.

We arrived early anyways (12:00 PMish) and suddenly low-and-behold a room is available. They said we were supposed to stay in casita #10, but they put us in casita #9. We went to our casita (now it was pouring rain again) and opened the door. It stunk like sewage and mold. So I ran in the rain to the maid I saw in one of the casita's. In my limited spanish/english I explained that our casita stunk to high heaven. She told me all of the casita's smelled like that because of the Palapa style roofs.

The roofs were literally saturated from the rain and mold could be seen around the perimeter of the palapa edges. We opened up the casita doors and tried to air it out to no avail. I sent my husband off to reception as I was pretty irate at this point. We've had a very bad experience so far and I was letting him handle this. He was given over to Ana, the VH Guest Relations person (I think that's her title). She came over with the maid and they sprayed some liquid all over the interior roof of the palapa.

She said she was sorry for the inconvenience and that she needed time to air out the room. She said it had been empty due to the wedding and we weren't supposed to have stayed in that casita (oh so there was a casita ready for early check-in after all Tico!).

She left and we sat on the porch but the stench became too much. After 10-15 mins we both went up to reception and we were going to just leave the resort as it wasn't turning out the way we had envisioned.

At that point, Ana said she would look into finding a Plan B on the room for us. But, she needed time to sort it out. By this time, I was nearly in tears and had to walk away. The romantic trip to try for a baby was a complete shambles and the staff only cared about looking after the departing wedding party.....not the new arrivals. Our $250 a night room does not compare with a wedding party's expenditure.....

Well Ana finally kicked into high gear. Found 2 plantation rooms and showed them to us both. We picked the one that overlooked the pool as it had a deck. The other room she showed us stunk like cigarettes/cigars....

However, the rooms would not be ready till 3:30. At that point, she asked if we would like to have a drink on the house (we explained that we already did that on our own in the bar when we first arrived waiting for this room). She then offered up use of the kayak or to join the snorkeling boat that was about to leave. Hopefully, by the time we returned, all would be better.

We took off on the snorkeling tour. Returned back a while later, and finally hours later had a room to sit in.

The stink thing is, when we checked out, they charged us for the snorkelling tour! My husband brought it to their attention. They called Ana and she said, "well we use an outside company and they have to get paid."

Overall, the grounds are indeed beautiful. The room we finally got to sleep in was very nice with a beautiful deck and comfortable bed. But, the overall experience wasn't 5 star at all. I agree 100% that the staff is off their game. Customer Service needs to be improved! For Belize, it's a nice hotel. But for western standards, it's barely a 4 star.

To be fair, here are the positives. The chef at the Palmilla did a great job both nights we ate there. The waiter brought out our main courses before we had even finished half of our appetizers though. The drinks at the bar were great and the bar staff were extremly friendly and accomodating. They had more customer service skills than the front desk!

Overall, we enjoyed our time once we got into a room. But don't visit VH expecting 5 star service as you will be very disapointed.

• Liked — The grounds of the resort
  • Disliked — The front house staff
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't book your stay after a wedding party leaves!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
6 Thank waterchick
Colorado Springs, CO
Reviewed October 5, 2006

We spent the last week of September, 2006 at Victoria House south of San Pedro, Belize. The resort exceeded our expectations and we had 7 days of heaven. The grounds are beautifully manicured and tended to regularly. It is right on the ocean facing out to the Barrier Reef a mile or two away, which calms the waves. The sands are white and there are lots of fish that you can see along the shore and from the dock. The gourmet food at the resort restaurant was excellent and we ate there almost every meal. The swimming pools (3 of them) are beautiful and clean.

We were there during the rainy season and expected lots of clouds and were worried about hurricanes. Weather.com said it was likely to rain every day, but there was only rain 3 out of the 7 days for 15 minutes to an hour per day. There were some clouds at times, but usually lots of sunshine and very warm.

The best part about Victoria House is the staff there. They were very professional, helpful and warm. We can't say enough about that. From the lady who turned down our bed in the evening, to the office managers, to the restaurant and bar staff, they were the best. There is a full-time recreation director who arranges tours and they were great. We went snorkeling and swam with sharks (harmless), took a trip to the jungle and Myan ruins and a romantic sailing trip along the island.

I do have one suggestion about San Pedro in general. There is an easement so anyone can walk along the beaches for miles. But long walks along the shore to the middle of town are NOT recommended. Many of the property owners along the way don't keep their beaches as clean and manicured as does Victoria House. In fact, to say that some are untidy is just a hint. Victoria House has workers that go out every morning and rake up any seaweed or debris that comes in over night and they rake the sand so it is nice and smooth at the resort.

We relaxed on comfortable reclining beach chairs a lot of the time. We also rode bikes and a golf cart into the middle of town to shop. The people of San Pedro are very friendly and wave and say hello. Many homes are unkept, but the people seem very happy.

I definitely recommend the resort and we plan on going back. We saw other resorts from the middle of San Pedro south and none compared except possibly Banyan Bay which also has nice beaches but would have a tough time matching Victoria House's service and staff.

DuWayne and Cindy Langseth
Colorado Springs, CO

• Liked — The service and staff.
  • Disliked — Proximity to other beaches that were very messy.
  • Tips/Secrets — Use the great restaurant here. If you can ride a bike, use it to get around San Pedro.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
15 Thank duwayneandcindy
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed October 2, 2006

Victoria House is quite beautiful and I believe one of the most beautiful places to stay on the island. The attention to detail to the rooms is superb. The flowers that they leave in the room are a wonderful touch and love the canopy. The main pool is wonderful with a great view of the ocean which is breathtaking.

The only bad things about Victoria House is the price and food and activities being in USD. Huge difference in price for booking excursions and trips in town rather than through the hotel. I am not sure why it is hiked up. Also not quite sure if it was not busy, why they did not give us a better room. There were so many rooms that were empty and we got the little studio. The food was great, a bit overpriced. Frankly, about 3-4 star food but at 5 star prices. $11 nachos, need I say more. It was good though, but even in LA it's not that steep. The only other bad thing is that it is really catered for Newlyweds, it is really romantic but leaves others kind of in the cold in terms of level of service and amenities.

Otherwise a wonderful time in Belize. Be sure to include half your time in the jungle.

• Liked — The detail with the room and furniture, the A/C
  • Disliked — Too small
  • Tips/Secrets — Book your trips in town, ride a bike into town
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
6 Thank LA_Gals
Michigan
Reviewed September 11, 2006

Victoria House is a fantastic vacation destination! We went for our honeymoon and had the best experience. The staff is amazing and very friendly (missed my wifes birthday due to the wedding prep and they helped create a very nice surprise for her) The head of the restauraunt, Osar, is great. The staff are all very professional, competent, and fun.

We booked on line directly with the resort, based largely on feedback from this site. We found the resort to look exactly like the photograps on VH website- very reassuring.

The property is well kept and looks immaculate. The food at the restauraunt was exceptional- portion size was more than adequate. We ate our meals at the resort (we had the romance package) and even if we did not have the package, would have taken most meals at the resort, especially dinner. Great food- can't say that enough.

The beach is well maintained, but as with the entire island not swimmable via beach. Swimming from the end of the peir is great.

Javier is wonderful at arranging activities- although I think that activities can be found at a lower rate if not booked through the resort. However, we had great guides for our scuba trip and the Mayan ruins trip which is worth something.

If considering the "romantic sail" be advised that you are not the only couple on the boat. Not romantic, but a fun sail nonetheless.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank travelerfrommi
Alpharetta, Georgia
Reviewed August 13, 2006

We stayed two nights at the Victoria House in August 2006. The hotel is very lovely, and the room was clean, cool, and tastefully decorated. The staff at the Victoria House were a bit off their game, in my opinion. They were "going through the motions" One evening I waled into the loby and two staff members were throwing a football back and forth. They acted a bit like I interrupted their fun.

The beach is absolutely fantastic with a wonderful coconut palm canopy to keep you well shaded and cool. The property on the North side of the resort is very unkempt and at times the seaweed on their beach really produces an aroma...

The menu and food is probably the most expensive on the island. I recommend Rico's at Banyan Bay for reasonable prices and a great view. Try the stewed fish over rice and beans.

There was a wedding the nights we were there, they promised the band would stop at 9, ran until close to 10. Not a problem for us, but I have appreciation for resorts that live up to their commitments.

Victoria House is a peacful, quiet setting ideal for a getaway. I recommend it highly.

• Liked — beach
  • Disliked — staff
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
10 Thank BrianATL
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed July 26, 2006

We stayed at the Victoria House Thanksgiving 2004 and when I'm asked about my favorite vacations I often think about our trip to Belize. In fact, a huge part of the fondness for Belize was our stay at the Victoria House. This is truly a peaceful, beautiful and luxurious retreat. Our photos speak volumes about the experience... which is my reason for resubmitting a review. I think our pictures are more telling than the candid photos currently posted.

Stayed June 2006