We spent the last week of September, 2006 at Victoria House south of San Pedro, Belize. The resort exceeded our expectations and we had 7 days of heaven. The grounds are beautifully manicured and tended to regularly. It is right on the ocean facing out to the Barrier Reef a mile or two away, which calms the waves. The sands are white and there are lots of fish that you can see along the shore and from the dock. The gourmet food at the resort restaurant was excellent and we ate there almost every meal. The swimming pools (3 of them) are beautiful and clean.
We were there during the rainy season and expected lots of clouds and were worried about hurricanes. Weather.com said it was likely to rain every day, but there was only rain 3 out of the 7 days for 15 minutes to an hour per day. There were some clouds at times, but usually lots of sunshine and very warm.
The best part about Victoria House is the staff there. They were very professional, helpful and warm. We can't say enough about that. From the lady who turned down our bed in the evening, to the office managers, to the restaurant and bar staff, they were the best. There is a full-time recreation director who arranges tours and they were great. We went snorkeling and swam with sharks (harmless), took a trip to the jungle and Myan ruins and a romantic sailing trip along the island.
I do have one suggestion about San Pedro in general. There is an easement so anyone can walk along the beaches for miles. But long walks along the shore to the middle of town are NOT recommended. Many of the property owners along the way don't keep their beaches as clean and manicured as does Victoria House. In fact, to say that some are untidy is just a hint. Victoria House has workers that go out every morning and rake up any seaweed or debris that comes in over night and they rake the sand so it is nice and smooth at the resort.
We relaxed on comfortable reclining beach chairs a lot of the time. We also rode bikes and a golf cart into the middle of town to shop. The people of San Pedro are very friendly and wave and say hello. Many homes are unkept, but the people seem very happy.
I definitely recommend the resort and we plan on going back. We saw other resorts from the middle of San Pedro south and none compared except possibly Banyan Bay which also has nice beaches but would have a tough time matching Victoria House's service and staff.
DuWayne and Cindy Langseth
Colorado Springs, CO
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At Victoria House, the order of the day is quite simply relaxation… Located on Ambergris Caye, the largest of the many offshore Belizean Islands, Victoria House is just 2 miles south of picturesque San Pedro Town. The resort offers a taste of barefoot elegance that keeps guests coming back for more. With just 42 guest rooms ranging in style from thatch roof casitas to beachfront villas with private pools, plantation style rooms and stunning ocean view villas, the only challenge is making the choice of where to hang your swimsuit at night. The Palmilla Restaurant and Admiral Nelsons Bar are renowned for fine food and drink complimented by extraordinary, personalized service. Attention to detail by staff and management alike has garnered accolades from international media and awards from prestigious organizations such as Conde Nast Traveler, Conde Nast Johansens and TripAdvisor. Even more telling is the number of guests who chose to make Victoria House their destination of choice, year after year. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your Victoria House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Victoria House Hotel San Pedro
- Victoria Hotel San Pedro
- Victoria House Belize/San Pedro
- Victoria San Pedro