“Amazing place to stay”

Ranked #9 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
New Glasgow, Canada
“Amazing place to stay”
Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

Having travelled over the years to other places. Victoria house is #1 From the moment they picked us up at the air port. Till we left we have nothing to complain about.
Arriving at Victoria house we were met by their friendly staff with a very refreshing drink and a cold facecloth. You may question a cold facecloth but after travelling 14 hours it felt so good. The little things mean the most.
The room was very clean, comfortable. They were there twice a day to tidy up and bring fresh towels, ice, etc
The food was so good. All fresh made just for you. It was so nice to know that you were eating good food daily.
The thing that makes this resort different from the rest is:
How many times you go on vacation and have to get up early morning to go put your towel on a chair at the pool so you can get a chair. Or have to make reservations to eat. Not when you always want to. Or the pool is so crowded you can not go for a swim.
At Victoria House there is none of the above. Being a smaller resort you get the best service possible. There is always more than enough friendly staff waiting to help you. Does not matter if you are in the bar, restaurant , room or on the grounds.
The reason we were at Victoria House was for our sons wedding. It was the most beautiful wedding I have ever been too. VH went above and beyond to make their day special. From the setting to the flowers, hair stylist, food. All excellent.
We also had a sun set cruise and snoring at the reef. We enjoyed it all.
Brent and Janet thank you again for a very enjoyable stay at Victoria House and for making Darryl and Melodys day so special.
Hopefully you will see us again.
Thank you for everything.

Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Susan1244

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
North Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 28, 2014

Fully lived up to expectations. Our room were spacious and clean with a super sea view and spacious well kept gardens. We stayed for six nights and fully intended to eat in various restaurants in San Pedro .However the hotel's restaurant was so good that we only ventured out once. The beach front was cleared of seaweed every day but swimming was still only feasible from the end of the jetty and only a few fish were spotted here. However a snorkeling trip out to the reef was memorable. A perfect place to relax after a hectic tour of the mainland.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed February 27, 2014

This was the second half of our honeymoon, we spent the first half inland, and it was a breath of relaxation the moment we got to Victoria House. We were welcomed with cool drinks and warm smiles. Our room wasn't quite ready so we had lunch by the pool and enjoyed the view.

Some notes about VH:

-Service is kind and friendly, but "island time," so bring your patience.
-Continental was fine for my husband, but I have Celiac disease and can't have gluten/pastries. I asked for a hard boiled egg rather and they only offered me more fruit. I don't expect exceptions to the rules but I thought for how much we were paying a hard boiled egg for 5 mornings wouldn't be a big request.
-They have the best fish tacos I've ever had and the plantain black bean soup was amazing
-Cocktails are fantastic and crafted for you, mojito pina colado - yum yum yum
-The restaurant on site is fine dining and expensive, so we went once for dinner. I had the most amazing butternut squash enchiladas. The rest of the nights we ventured out to some amazing restaurants on the island
-Trash cans around the resort are far and few between
-You can swim off the dock, but not really off the beach, more foot wading
-Free paddleboarding
-The grounds were impeccable but expect to see some trash in the water/beach from time to time. I found myself picking it up. It's the way of the island as they haven't figured out how to financially bring trash inland. They burn the trash on the south end of the island, so a lot of it floats in overnight which is the sad reality.
-We took out the complimentary bikes one day, and rented a golf cart the last day and had a blast doing that. For the sake of convenience I'd recommend renting the resort ones.

Accommodations:
-Beautiful room in which the website doesn't do it justice. We stayed in a plantation room, which was about 450 sq. ft. of space, lovely ocean/beach view, whites and dark browns, chaise lounge and full shared balcony, walk in shower and double vanity
-Bed was overdue for a mattress change, a big dip in the middle
-Nice fans and cooling system
-Bathroom products were luxurious
-Housekeeping was impeccable and they noticed we liked ice, so it was full each evening for us
-No phones in the room which isn't a big deal as you get used to planning to ask the front desk for whatever you need the next time you leave your room

Staff: Everyone was so nice, especially the front desk staff and the gentleman who gathered our bags the last day. The bartenders were friendly and gave great local recommendations. We sat out on the dock a couple of days with our beach towels and they came out to us, which was an unexpected luxury.

Nearby recommendations:
-Robyn's for lunch or dinner
-Casa Picaso for dinner
-El Fuego for lunch
-Palapa Bar for a daytime outdoor bar on the ocean excursion - by golf cart!
-Ramons for a cocktail day or night
-Elvie's for dinner
-Hurricane's Ceviche bar for cocktails and apps and good fun with bartender Josh

4 Thank BunnyMpls33
BrentKirkman, General Manager at Victoria House, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Dear BunnyMpls33,

We’re happy to hear you enjoyed your "island time" at Victoria House recently. I'll share your kind words about our service, food and cocktails with everyone – we aim to please!

Thank you for the heads-up about your mattress – I checked it out myself after reading your review. The mattress is actually new, and has a feather/down mattress pad on it as we found the mattress by itself was a tad too firm for some guests. It’s very possible that this thick down pad was in need of “fluffing”. I’ve advised our housekeeping staff that they need to do this on a regular basis. I’m sorry you didn’t find it comfortable.

Thanks also for your comment on a gluten-free option for the complimentary Continental Light Breakfast. We’ve asked our chef to present some ideas that will be both delicious and compatible with different dietary restrictions.

We appreciate your help picking up some of the “flotsam and jetsam” that washes up on our shores from time to time. While not all of this debris is actually from passing ships, we do have our suspicions….

Unfortunately some of it is actually generated on the island, and our community is working to raise everyone’s consciousness about the situation and keep our streets and beaches as litter free as possible. The fact is that geographically speaking, we’re ideally situated to have bits and pieces of this and that from different parts of Central America and the Caribbean wash up on our shores when the currents are right (or wrong…).

We hope to see you again in the near future.

Brent Kirkman GM
New Glasgow, Canada
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Hi, I traveled to Victoria House in February, 2014 with some of my family for my nephew's wedding. My travel experience was probably different than most because I traveled with my Momma who gets around with a walker. The staff at V.H. could not have been more helpful to me to make Momma's stay any better. Even when she rested in the afternoon and I was out and about swimming or walking the beach they asked me where she was, they truly cared. To say she had a memorable trip is an understatement. she had a blast! She loved it all. It was a bit tricky to get her up onto a golfcart to go into town but V.H. provided us with a stepstool for her to use. We ate the majority of our meals at V.H. but we did go into town on a few occasions to try some of local restaurants. We did not have a bad meal the entire time we were there. As for my nephew's wedding - beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. As he and his gorgeous bride said their vows down on the sand a school of fish playfully jumped behind them. The fresh flowers were brilliant, and the staff was very efficient and helpful to meet all the needs of everyone at the wedding. We can't wait to see the pictures. The teasers that we have seen so far were awesome. To sum it all up: I went to Victoria House for a wedding and I ended up having so many first time experiences myself, with a sunset catamaran cruise, snorkeling on a breathtaking coral reef, swimming in the warmest oceans that I have ever felt, and being treated in a very special way. Thank you to everyone at Victoria House for making Momma's and my's trip so wonderful, and to Darryl and Melody thank you for a trip that we will remember forever with lots of cherished memories. I have not seen Momma so relaxed and happy as she was there in a very long time.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Mary Enid W
Kilkenny, Ireland
Reviewed February 21, 2014

This hotel first gives you a very welcoming atmosphere. After that the accommodation was first class - enormous beds, luxurious decor and most of all spectacular views. Best ocean views on the island.....
Ate there 3 days and 3 nights and ate in the hotel the full time we were there - both in the dining room and the bar and the food was really great.
Hotel offers great boat trips to the reef where you can go swimming
Overall an excellent experience - couldn't recommend the place enough.

Room Tip: Always ask for Ocean view it really is amazing....worth the extra.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sinead M
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed February 18, 2014

We had a lovely time, espically because I had special needs because of knee replacement 2 months earlier. I informed them of this surgery and was able to have 1st floor room close to pool,dining area. The locations was great, staff was eager to help plan activities and beauty surrounded us.

Room Tip: ask for what you want.
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed February 17, 2014

My only complaint is that we did not have more time to spend at Victoria House. Everything consistently met or - more often - exceeded expectations. The grounds, accommodations and staff were all fabulous and the meals, service and, of course, setting were wonderful. I'm looking forward to my next visit!

Room Tip: We really enjoyed our two story half of the duplex just above the infinity pool as it had upstairs a...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends