“Good Overall Hotel”
Review of SunBreeze Hotel

SunBreeze Hotel
Ranked #14 of 55 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed June 21, 2010

I recently stayed at the Sunbreeze for 4 nights. While I agree with some of the comments that it's overpriced, I think it was in line with other hotels with similar features. The rooms are large and very clean. The pool was also very clean (I met people staying at other hotels who said mine was way better than most). As a solo female traveler, I was a bit concerned about some of the comments re: safety. In reality, it was no problem and I never felt uncomfortable. I also didn't mind having to use the beach access (as opposed to lobby access) at night. Most of the places I went to at night were on the beach, so it was very convenient to get home via the beach. And you simply can't beat it for access to the airstrip - it's literally across the street yet you never hear the planes.
The hotel restaurant is very good and I also recommend heading a few steps north to Wild Mangos for very yummy dishes.
For my taste, they are a bit too strict about making you sign out the remote control, pool towel and hair dryer, but I can only guess that they've had issues with losing things in the past. Also, I rated sleep quality low becuase I was eaten up by mosquitos the first night (there was a gap between the door and threshold - easy access for the little guys).
If you are looking for a good place in town, I defintely recommend the Sunbreeze.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,108)

Reviewed March 30, 2010

This is a perfect resort for a couple or singles. Not a very large resort, but all the amenities you need. We stayed in a standard room that was very spacious and super clean. The beds were doubles and quite short (anybody over 5'9" would have feet hanging off). May want to see if a King is offered. The staff is very friendly and helpful. There are dozens of fabulous restaurants all within walking distance. Walk 5 minutes either way on the beach side for beach front grills and bars or 5 minutes down Middle or Front streets for town restaurants and great local cuisine. Prices similar to US, but local street restaurants provide delicious local fare for much cheaper. George's Kitchen was a great breakfast spot. It is a little longer walk - about 10 minutes, but well worth it. The on-site restaurant, Blue Water Grill, was very reasonable for lunch and breakfast and large portions - suggest splitting. We weren't so impressed with the Aqua Dive shop, but apparently they are being replaced with another vendor in May. Definitely will visit this resort again!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 28, 2010

I was at the Sunbreeze Hotel in San Pedro for 6 nights in late March and found it an ideal place to stay as solo traveler looking to unwind in the sun while also experiencing a few memorable side excursions.

Location: Sunbreeze arguably enjoys the most central location on the whole island. It's literally across the street from the Tropic Air terminal (the runway's location ensures you never hear a plane though) so you land and check in within minutes. If you are capable of walking a mile in either direction, there's no need to rent a golf cart or a bike to take in all the best restaurants, bars and vistas on the island. And the "best of the best" are adjacent to the Sunbreeze (BC's, TackleBox, Mangos, Playa and Fidos are all a 5 minute or less walk down the beach).

Restaurant: There is one beachfront restaurant at Sunbreeze (I don't think any hotel on the island has more than one) and it is one of the best on the entire island. The Blue Water Grill serves an international menu with options for any appetite. Loved that they have sushi on Tuesday and Thursday nights. The bartenders and wait staff are friendly and professional. Have to give a shout out to my new Sanpedrano friends Christian, Steve and Squeaky (I call him "Sneaky" though) who took care of me while I was there. They're a great bunch of guys-- get to know them and treat them well.

Room: I stayed in a Deluxe room on the north end of the hotel. It was large, clean, air conditioned, and the housekeepers always kept it nice with fresh towels and linens every days. Never heard noise from a neighbor or anything else outside, and I slept very peacefully.

School next door? I saw a reviewer complain about noise from the school next door. That person either spent too much time in his/her room (school hours are usually the same hours as everyone else is out by the beach or doing stuff) but aside from that, the adorable, friendly, whimsical children of the island are one of its greatest assets. Everyone I met enjoyed watching these kids enjoy their lives learning and growing up as part of San Pedro's small and tight-knit island community.

Final Note: Don't let any negative reviews here distract you -- if San Pedro is what you have in mind for your next vacation, this is an excellent place to stay. San Pedro is about enjoying a chill vibe, about not staying behind the gates of an all inclusive mega resort, about exploring the island and the country. Whether you're traveling solo, as a couple or with a group, it's easy to meet new people who are all there to have a good time. Go to San Pedro BECAUSE there are no 5-star hotels here, and that is exactly what you are looking for. Leave the pretense at home. Cool runnings, mon. :-)

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank bronx236
Reviewed February 21, 2010

We booked this room based on the Frommer's guide. It is in a great location on the edge of town, located across the street from the airstrip. At first glance things looked good, nice (cold) pool, bar and well manicured grounds. We got the hotel early and our room wasn't ready...no problem we figured we would rent a couple of bikes from the hotel and take a spin around town. The bike were in horrible condition. We quickly learned that both bikes needed air and quickly began looking for a filling station. The breaks on one of the bikes were not working, causing a near collision with a pedestrian. We quickly decided to return the bikes the hotel. When we reported the flat tires and faulty breaks to the reception desk they just laughed us off. Our first night in the room proved disasterous. After a long day swimming, hiking and exploring the caye we jumped into bed only to find that it was soaked from the airconditioner above. My husband went to the desk and was told someone would be by to fix the problem. We spent the next 3 hours watching an inexperienced young man try to defrost our air conditioner with a low-watt blow dryer. As for the matress, to our horror, they just flipped it over (can you say mold?) and changed the linens. All the other rooms were "occupied" so a room change was out of the question. After the ordeal, we went back to bed only to find the unit still dripping. We decided to just turn the unit off and pull the bed away from the wall. The resort is in the Frommer's "expensive" category and we found that there were several places in Ambergris that had MUCH nicer rooms for less money. Upon check-out we were charged for the bike rental and were not even offered an apology regarding the leaking air conditioner - soggy mattress ordeal. We will be returniing to Ambergris, however, we will not stay at this "resort" again.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SuzanneLongBeach_CA
Reviewed February 1, 2010

This was my first visit to the Sunbreeze Hotel - my husband had stayed there previously, and I was quite concerned about the hotel after reading other reviews. I was pleasantly surprised. The room was large, very clean and maid service was very good. It was not a luxury room, but since we were out and about it was not as critical for us to have all amenities, however, the sheets and towels could be better - nice beach towels provided. Air conditioning was good and ceiling fan kept the air circulating. They are only a few amentities short of being a great hotel. Early street noise can be a problem, but that is true for many locations in San Pedro. If we came back as a couple, we would stay here again. If I came back as a family, we would probably go the condo route. The hotel has built a seawall to the beach side, which extends the sandy area further to the ocean side. If you are looking for palapas, with lounge chairs, and walk out beach to snorkel, this is not the place for you. However, the beach area is narrow in the southern part of San Pedro. The newer northern resorts have reclaimed beach areas, so if you are looking for wide, white sand beaches, then that might be the place for you. We liked being in the middle of the town, and could walk just south of the hotel for wading into the water. Nice pool, oceanside, with Blue Water bar with cocktail services.

Front Desk Services: When asked the Front Desk had full sets of menus for local restaurants, and did not offer "concierge" services, but it is San Pedro and easy enough to get into restuarants without reservations - you can always order another mojito and wait for a table.

Excursions: Moncho for golf carts - almost a must if you want to explore the island. We used Seduced for an all day snorkel trip and recommend them to everyone. Great boat, great staff, beautiful snorkel sites (Hol Chan, Shark Ray Alley). Left from dock at Ramon's Village - very convenient. Bicycles are available at the hotel for a modest charge.

Restaurants: Blue Water Grill at Sunbreeze is one of the best restaurants on the island - food is excellent. Wild Mangos also very good and worth a repeat visit. Fido's for grazing and cocktails. We alos ate a Rainbow Grill at Caye Caulker - very good food.

Other - we visited the north shore of the island. Highly recommend a visit to Palapa's for on-the-water cocktails. Bring your swimsuits so you can lounge in the innertubes at their dock.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TravelDreamerOmahaNE
Reviewed January 25, 2010

I went on my first solo dive trip to Belize and just got back. It was fantastic.

The food on the island was delicious. Blue Water Grill, at the Sun Breeze lived up to its reputation. Elvi's Kitchen, Caramba, Pinnochio, Wild Mango (lunch), Estelle's (breakfast), so good. Hanging out at night, Fido's always had great music. A little bar just south of the Sun Breeze, BC, was very quirky as well, and there are a number of other places to stop into along the beach.

Aqua Diving- the dive shop affiliated with Sun Breeze was fine. The female owner is a bit of a stick in the mud. Most people who dive in Belize are divers and have their own equipment. I don't so I called prior to going was told that they had small full length wetsuits for women, but they did not. I just walked the beach one morning and found another place that rented me one instead, no big deal. The dive masters are no nonsense, but they soften up as you get to know them, and are a great bunch of guys. Shout out to Michael, Martin, Juan, David, and Roy. Shorty, the resident photographer takes awesome pics.

Considering accommodations, I would have to say that I would not stay at the Sun Breeze again. The room was large and very clean. The staff were nice, but unfamiliar with places to eat, locations of pay phones, etc.

Problems I came upon:

1. Security: They lock the front door to the hotel after 1030 pm. This means you have to access the hotel from the beach, which is not a big issue earlier is the evening. It can get a little sketchy on the beach later in the evening when less people are around. Anyway, I was dropped of in front of the hotel by some friends I made on the island at midnight one evening. They looked down the alley I would have to use to get to the beach entrance, and insisted on walking me to my room because, "It looked like the perfect spot to get jumped". It was very scary, and this is coming from someone who was traveling and diving solo. Also, there was no mention of the locking of the front door on the website when I looked to book my trip. If you take a taxi late at night to be safe it does you no good because you still have to walk down the alley. I never would have booked the hotel knowing that.

I was between booking the Sun Breeze and Ramon's Village the photos on Trip Advisor made Ramon's look like a small space and I was nervous about staying in a hut alone, but I met some people staying there and even checked out some of their rooms. Some huts are like apartment buildings and some are free standing. The place is actually quite large with a bigger pool and bigger places to hang out then the Sun Breeze. Also, the beach is an actual swimming beach unlike Sun Breeze's. There were also security guards (plural)
always present at Ramon's Village day and night, and the grounds are surrounded by a tall wall with the exception of the beach. Very safe. A number of divers also stayed at a tiny place called Rudy's. Not fancy, but great price, and clean.

2. The noise: My room was so loud. I read to avoid rooms on the street side (west side) of the hotel due to street noise, but there was no mention of the school that is directly across from the north side of the hotel. I had an "upgraded" room on the second floor, and every morning I was woken up by hundreds of kids frolicking from one classroom to another. Noise was my number one issue when considering booking the trip. If you stay at the Sun Breeze, book a room on the south side.

3. The A/C was not working properly and my clothes were sopping wet the whole time. The only way it dried up somewhat was by keeping the temperature at 50 degrees (as I was instructed to do by management), and that was simply not tolerable to me. I have traveled in the Caribbean many times and never had that problem. The wetness broke my travel alarm. Thankfully, my camera and Blackberry survived, but one morning my phone was fogged up. Management did not offer to change my room until two days before I left, and at that point I really did not feel like moving everything since it was wet already. Also, don't waste money on an upgrade because their partial ocean and ocean view room really are not. The balcony is shared and is the walkway to all of the rooms, so it is not as if you can open your drapes and look out at the ocean because everyone walking by can just look into your room.

It really is a shame. If they built the hotel with the walkway to the rooms behind the rooms, everyone would have private balconies, you could sleep with the window open to hear the breeze, and the noise from the street and school would not be an issue.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank sdlnyc78
Reviewed January 17, 2010

We spent a week at the Sun Breeze over New Years 2010. The hotel is in a great location. While other people are driving those crazy golf carts around town you can walk to anywhere you want to go. And yet it is not in the congested area of downtown. The room was very spacious and sound proof. Never heard a neighbor or the planes from the near-by airport. The hotel bar is between the ocean and pool. As with most bars on the beach no doors, walls or windows to spoil the view. Food was very good. We ate there a couple of times and the lobster was great (about $50.00 American for two with a few drinks) Apetizers at the bar were excellant. We would have eaten there more often but there is so much to choose from by just walking down the beach. Fish, lobster, shrimp are served everywhere. First time I ever had a lobster burrito or shrimp tacos.

This hotel and town is way different than an all inclusive place. What makes it so nice is there are so many places to eat and drink I now realize why there are no all inclusive resorts. Why restrict yourself to one place. We walked home from a bar at 2:30 AM on New Years day and never once was concerned about our safety. Bring a light jacket if your going somewhere by boat but while your on the island forget your socks and jeans. I wore nothing but T-shirts, shorts and sandles everywhere even in the nice restraunts.

This is a very friendly town where everyone speaks english. No one is in a hurry to go anywhere or do anything. At first you might think the service is slow but thats just the laid back style of this town. Like the one bartender said to me when I asked for the bill. Relax your on Belize time now.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple