“Good enough and convenient location”
Review of SunBreeze Hotel

SunBreeze Hotel
Ranked #14 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Seattle, Washington
“Good enough and convenient location”
Reviewed November 25, 2007

We stayed in a deluxe room and for the price and the amenities, we were definitely content. There was a mini-fridge, strong A/C, cable tv with all the movie channels, nice clean tiled floor and large bathroom with ample counter space. And best of all, it was quiet. It is literally RIGHT across the street from the airport, but the hotel is set a bit further off the street so you don't get the street noise and do not hear the planes at all. It is convenient when you fly in as you just walk across the street. Only thing is during the weekday, you will hear the school bell going off because it's close to San Pedro's only school.

The restaurant (Blue Water Grill) was excellent with decent sized portions. A little bit more on the expensive side but definitely worth trying.

The grounds are sufficient but the pool water is pretty cold and it doesn't really have much of a beach, but apparently Belize is not really famous for its beaches and you can always go couple minutes south to Ramon's Village's beach - much nicer.

As for the service, the front desk seemed a bit unmotivated and as a previous review had mentioned, liked to nickel and dime you. We were moving to Ramon's Village and it had rained earlier in the morning, so was going to call RV for a pick up. We asked the front desk if they could call for us, but they said they would have to charge us $5 BZE for the connection. It just seems it would have been a better guest experience if they didn't seem so money grubbing.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
San Jose, CA
Reviewed November 10, 2007

We were wary of this hotel based on past reviews. Follow the advice of the previous traveler and keep everything valuable locked in the suitcase (we locked towels, remote control, hair dryer) so nothing goes missing. Our room, 216, had an indoor air conditioner which was moldy. The mold extended onto the box spring mattress which was not covered by a sheet so it was in plain view. The mattress itself is on the softer side which is good news for those who prefer soft.
The dive shop affiliated with the hotel, Aqua Dives, is terrible. We snorkeled on the first day, Sunday, at Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley. The visibility was limited and unremarkable. The next day we had a 2:00 reservation but Aqua Dives canceled the trip because there were only two of us signed up to go. The only cancellation policy they have is for weather so we were very angry that the trip was canceled. Aqua Dives offered us no compensation and no apology. Choose another shop.
The hotel's restaurant, Blue Water Grill, is good for both breakfast and dinner (and drinks).

• Liked — big shower
  • Disliked — Aqua Dives disasterous dive shop
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SiliValleyResident
suzie
Reviewed September 18, 2007

I stayed in a Deluxe room (not the TOP rate but not the standard either) for six days beginning September 11th and found this hotel and the staff to be VERY nice... Sunbreeze is clean , well maintained, and VERY restful! Ernesto at the front desk and Julia could not have been more acommodating and couteous! Be aware of the phone charges before making too many calls (especially to cell phones) as they are a bit of a SHOCK when checking out!. The town of San Pedro is a delight....fun to explore and the people all very friendly, if a bit reserved. All in all, i would recommend the Sunbreeze HIGHLY...great location and great place at a reasonable price!

• Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
chicago
Reviewed August 20, 2007

The hotel is in a great location on the small island. It was right across the street from the airport which is great because the planes are so small that they dont make too much noise and in todays world with the TSA its nice to get off the plane be handed your bag and walk to your hotel on the beach.

The hotel itself is small and sort of cute.

The rooms: I had a premium room and the rest of the people traveling in my party had the standard room. The extra money was worth it because the bathroom was much better and we didnt have roaches in our room, unlike the two that my brother found in his.

The biggest problem we had were the beach towels. The hotel is so petty about these $3 towels. You are given the towels when you check in and you can exchange them for new ones at anytime. When you check out you give them back. Well someone stole our towels off our front porch and we told the hotel that we didnt have them, that someone must of picked them up or something. They said that we had to pay $25 per towel. I then asked the cleaning staff if they knew anything about the "golden towels" and they told me that someone probably took them and that we should just steal them from some other guests porch. Well i didnt feel like stealing anyone elses towel so i paid the $50 for the two towels. I also offered the front desk manager the option of searching through all our luggage to prove that we dont have their presious towels. Anyways it was only $50 but it just rubbed me the wrong way. With the two rooms for a week we spent almost $3000 and now they want $50 for towels? My brother then showed them the two large roaches he found in his room and when he brought the roaches to the front desk to prove they were there they accused him of finding the roaches in the city and then bringing them to the hotel.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — management
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank bmike2000
Seattle
Reviewed May 29, 2007

I booked my stay with the Sunbreeze through expedia. My friend had just stayed there and said it was wonderful, especially for divers- however, i had the opposite expierence!
I booked the Sunbreeze with expedia. One week before my trip, i called the sunbreeze to see if we could get an ocean view. They were so confused. Couldn't find my reservation and were RUDE! I waisted 3 phone cards calling them to try to get my reservation straight. Then i started getting emails saying that they did not have the deluxe i booked on expedia 2 months prior (note- they are sending me this, one week before my trip). I worked with it and emailed - saying a standard room is fine. I recieved an email confirmation of that. I decided just to make sure, i would call again and again when i called they said they are sorry but had no rooms even though i have a reservation and they would email me what they have the next day. Two days later- right before i was suppose to leave- they emailed saying that there was only one economy room left with no windows in the back. It was for $20 less than the Deluxe room i had first booked. I couldn't belive it! and every time i called, everyone was really rude. therefore I canceled my reservations and decided to wing it. I canceled through expedia and via email. I am still getting emails from them asking if i canceled my reservation (this is two weeks after my trip) It was a horrible expierence. I decided to stay at Ramons (right next door) instead and the customer service there was EXCELLENT!! A beautiful hotel with great food too! I have never been treated so great. So good luck if you are staying with the evil sunbreeze.

Stayed May 2007
4 Thank lanifink
Port Moody, BC. Canada
Reviewed April 24, 2007

Once again I was part of Tsunami Skydivers group that stayed at the Sunbreez from February 10th to 19th. Although we basically took over the whole hotel, I again found the staff very friendly & helpfull at all times. Rooms were very clean, and large compared to other hotels. The Blue Water Grill constantly provided some of the best food and service in town, with excellent salads at lunch time around the pool, to full dinner in the evenings. Chris and his staff behind the bar provided very fiendly service at all times.

I will definitely stay there again next year.

• Liked — Staff, cleanliness, food & drinks & service
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed February 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank zulus
Baytown, Texas
Reviewed April 23, 2007

If you want to stay at a very nice and clean hotel close to town this is the property for you. 20 steps get you to the airport or to downtown. The air conditioning worked great in our room and the room was cleaned very well daily. The hotel employees were nice and the bartenders pour great drinks and kept the guests entertained. The Blue Water Grill located within the hotel was great for breakfast and a midafternoon snack but I thought it could be overrated. Give the Sunset Grill, Sweet Basils, and some of the other places downtown a try. Take the time to read up on Ambergris Caye if planning a trip. If you don't dive or fish you had better want to eat and drink because I believe that is about all that is happening on this island. The airplane ride from the mainland to the island is also not for the faint of heart. I am a private pilot and it scared the heck out of me! And when traveling into Belize City, don't be taken in by the JET BAR within the Belize International terminal that is supposed to be famous for rum punch and hot dogs. I found the cock roach riddled bar to be the first tourist trap one will encounter in Belize. If you don't believe me about the cock roaches just pick up one of the framed pictures sitting on the bar and watch the roaches run!

• Liked — The liquor and the Air Conditioning
  • Disliked — It was really all good!
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends