El Pescador Resort
$170
SunBreeze Suites(San Pedro)(Great Value!)
$195
Banyan Bay Suites(San Pedro)(Great Value!)
$148
Caribbean Villas Hotel(San Pedro)(Great Value!)
$166
$122
$280
Orbitz.com
  • Breakfast included
SunBreeze Hotel(San Pedro)(Great Value!)
$167
Hotels.com
  • Pool
El Secreto(San Pedro)
$420
White Sands Cove Resort(San Pedro)(Great Value!)
$130
$122
$329
$299
Ramon's Village Resort(San Pedro)(Great Value!)
$290
$155
All reviewsfly fishinggreat fishingfishing lodgefamily stylegrand slamfishing directorcasting lessonssalt waterother guestsguided fishingrecommend elfly shopfishing storiesvisited elbone fishlodge roomscaught bonefish
Reviewed February 27, 2014

El Pescador Is the best. Service and friendliness are key to any vacation and this place has found the secret. Not just a fishing lodge but an all around resort. My wife and I did it all. Fishing, snorkeling, Mayan ruins, pool, beach, shark alley, etc. they cater to everyone. They are family run and every employee is their extended family. What an experience. What a place.
Did not want to leave. Thanks so much to Allie, Chris and Steve.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Jamispn
Reviewed February 26, 2014

The fishing here is top notch. So are the guides. We hit the jackpot with Luis, our second generation guide at El Pescador. If seeing fish constituted a grand slam, we had one everyday. Luis had us into Tarpon, Permit, Bonefish and Snook. He was very attentive and pleasant to be with all day for 5 days in a row. A superb experience with a world class guide.

El Pescador needs to rethink the way they handle guests fly fishing equipment.

After fishing all day, guests are greeted at the dock by El Pescador Staff. They take your rods and reels from the boat and rinse them off for you. A wonderful service after a long day of fishing. Rigs are put on a rack or on the tables outside near the pool and are unsupervised as guests pick up whichever rod they wish and take them to their rooms.

My $1500 rod and reel were missing after the first day of fishing. When I reported my equipment missing I was told "it happens all the time". I was also told I was responsible for my equipment even though it was in the possession of El Pescador Staff when it went missing.

I was constantly reassured that it would turn up. The staff told me that they have had rods missing in the past where guests have taken someone else's equipment and didn't realize it until they were unpacking at home.

This seems to be an ongoing problem which put a HUGE damper on my El Pescador experience until the night before we left. My rod showed up after dinner just sitting by itself on the rod rack. Fishy?

Ladies visiting El Pescador,

I noticed most of the reviews written are from men visiting El Pescador. Here is some information I think will be helpful for the ladies visiting the resort.

Due to the fact that there were two of us visiting we thought a Villa would be overkill. We opted for a lodge room instead. We found the accommodations to be clean but very dated.

We were informed that the toilets do not accept toilet paper and we were to put used toilet paper in a tiny waste paper basket next to the toilet.

There wasn't a chest of drawers in our room. There were cubbies on the wall and a small space to hang clothing. We were tripping on our belongings because there was no place to store luggage. If I were to do this again, I would opt for a Villa.

Bring your own soap, shampoo and conditioner if you are particular about these things. There is a dispenser on the wall with a shampoo/conditioner combo and body wash. Also, bring a robe.

We enjoyed the little gecko's in our room as they are small and harmless. They were mostly in the shower and bathroom ceiling.

If you are staying in a lodge room, ask for an upstairs room. This way you won't hear the guests a above you walking around.

The beds were very comfortable and the staff were professional and friendly. The cook to order breakfasts were the best meal of the day and we enjoyed them every morning before fishing.

Room Tip: Get a Villa.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank CollegeMomCo
ElPescadorBelize, Owner at El Pescador Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

Thank you for the detailed critique of El Pescador. We agree with your comments about the size and age of our rooms in our main lodge in full measure. This is why we have scheduled a multi-million dollar renovation and expansion of the main lodge rooms for summer / fall 2014. All 14 rooms in the main lodge will be expanded and updated. Please re-visit us after the fall and we think you will be extremely pleased!

It is true that guests confuse their equipment “all the time." However it is not correct to say that we have lost a rod or reel through any theft or anything “fishy." The guests in all cases, including yours, figured out their mistake and swapped for the correct rod. As a result of your critique, we have adjusted our policy to continue to offer the service of rinsing rods for anglers after fishing; however, we now hand the rods directly back to the anglers instead of placing them in the rod rack to dry. We are hopeful that if you place your own rod on the rack you will remember where you placed it and then only take your personal rod.

Once again, thank you for your thoughts. We love constructive criticism as we are continually striving to improve and offer our guests a wonderful, lifetime experience!

Reviewed February 8, 2014

This was our 2nd visit to El Pescador. We came here to escape the subzero weather back in Pittsburgh. My wife and I love to salt water fly fish and Belize has great fishing. We were met at the San Pedro airport by a member of the El Pescador staff who took our bags and transferred us by boat a short 5 minutes to the lodge. There we were welcomed by the staff who took our bags to our villa. We like the villa because of the spacious living quarters. There is a separate bedroom, bath and a large kitchen/living area and outside deck with a great view of the ocean. Since we booked through Orvis because of the fishing, we had the inclusive package which included meals, and beer and rum drinks. We both purchased bottles of our favorite liquor in San Pedro to enjoy in villa. The meals are wonderful. The fishing services are great. I caught my first tarpon on the fly rod! When we weren't fishing we enjoyed walking along the beach or just relaxing at the villa. The staff at El Pescador is probably their best resource. They are all so very friendly and accommodating. My wife loves the two dogs Max and Nola who truly have a "dog's life" lounging around the grounds. We stayed a week and were sorry we had to leave.

Room Tip: We prefer the second story villas over the main guest rooms. Better view, more privacy and lots of room.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Terry D
Reviewed February 3, 2014

I just returned from staying here for four days and I am still thinking about how much fun I had. Like other reviews have mentioned, it's a true paradise for fly fishermen. They have a 400 sq mile fishery and due to the fact they are located on an island no matter the wind direction there is always somewhere the guides can take you for optimal fly fishing conditions. They've got a collection of the top 12 guides in the area, all of whom have years of experience fishing the area and many of whom are certified casting instructors. Whether you are a beginner and need more practice or a seasoned angler hunting a grand slam they can match you up with the perfect guide for your style.

Besides the fishing I was really surprised by the amenities and service at the property, the term "fishing lodge" probably does it a disservice. There are three pools, a bar, game room, fast wifi, lounge area with flat screen TV, and of course a first rate fly shop. All the rooms have AC, private bathrooms, and hot water showers. The restaurant was great too, each night they would offer you a mix of surf and turf so we had lobster, grouper, and crabs in addition to steak, chicken, and even baked potatoes.

The service was fantastic too, it was very evident how happy all the employees are working there - which says a lot. Many guides have been there 10+ years and they have a few father/son guides that span two generations. Judy at the front desk was always cheerful - and she's been there 16 years! I've been to many fishing lodges throughout Central America and this is arguably one of the most polished and professional I've ever visited. Great service from pre-arrival to the resort itself, free casting lessons every evening, great food, and nice amenities make this an angler's paradise.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with your family or wife and want extra space and amenities the villas are worth the upgrade. They are super spacious, have a full kitchen, TV, and a great balcony area over looking the pool and out to the ocean.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Chris A
Reviewed January 28, 2014

If you are a serious flats angler, especially if you prefer to fly fish, El Pescador is heaven on earth.

The accommodations are comfortable (the villas are probably best for couples, or for folks less focused on fishing) and practical. All units have A/C, fans, screened windows, etc. They also all have well-mounted rod holders (fishing resort!)

The food is very good. Breakfast is ordered from a menu and has some Belezian flair. Lunch for me was always a bag-lun-on-boat affair, ordered the day before and very tasty. Dinners are served at 6:45 pm nightly and are a community affair - all guests at 8-person tables. After fishing, returning to the lodge for Cuban cigars and Belikin beers is always a good way to end the day.

The fishing, of course, is excellent. I fished every day I was at El Pescador, and standard is 8 hours with a guide, on a skiff. Standard pickup time is 7 am, though earlier or later start times can be arranged. Cinoeh (or Cinoe, or Sinoe) was my guide for the week. He has been with El Pescador for 26 years, so he knows the water well! We were on fish every day, even though the weather didn't cooperate. I caught bonefish, snook, and jacks, and had multiple shots at small tarpon. Cinoeh had great boat manners and was lots of fun.

If you're not looking to fish, there's plenty else to do. I didn't do any of it, so I'll leave that to other reviewers.

El Pescador was wonderful to me, and I am sure I'll be back!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo