“Curious experience.”
Review of El Pescador Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
El Pescador Resort
Ranked #2 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
London, United Kingdom
“Curious experience.”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Having read the other review, perhaps my trip was plagued by bad luck. Anyway, here's the summary.

I visited with my wife and baby in Feb '13, staying in a villa. We're fortunate to have visited many of the premier fly fishing destinations around the world, so were looking forward to our stay. I'm realistic about fly fishing, some trips just don't produce fish so this isn't about not catching.

My main issues were that:

1. the food was relatively poor;
2. the kitchen (not the dining room) was dirty. I witnessed the owner's dog wandering in and out;
3. the same dog was frequently in the main swimming pool, which is simply unhygienic;
4. the fishing guides were generally of poor to very poor quality. The "resort" doesn't keep any guide on staff/payroll, so all guides are locals hired on a needs basis. I had one guide so old that he was barely able to pole the skiff.
5. both my baby son and I were diagnosed with salmonella poisoning on our return (a reportable disease). I had recovered during the trip, but my son continued to have symptoms. I contacted the hotel to inform them, but was told that we must have contracted it somewhere else despite our not eating outside the resort for our entire trip. The likelihood of our contracting it elsewhere is negligible.

There's very little to do for the non-fisher. if your partner doesn't fish, look elsewhere.

The hotel looks wonderful in the brochures, but the reality is that the beach is strewn with rubbish up and down the coast (although the beach directly in front of the hotel is swept each day). There is no hard sand to wade out to from the beach, you sink into mud (that once would have been mangrove covered). Once away from the hotel and island the waters are very picturesque (if not particularly fishy).

The female waiting staff were attentive. The female shop staff were poor.

In short, the hotel, fishing, food and beach were all poor. Were it not for the limited availability of flights, we would have returned home well before our due date.

Other people's experiences may differ, but you couldn't pay me to return.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank John M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed August 27, 2013

One of the best fishing trips I've ever taken. Resort Staff friendly and doting. FAcilities top notch. Fishing guides and support fantastic - and the fishing itself was wonderful.

What a beautiful spot on earth.

Highly recommend this place.

Mesquite, Nevada
Reviewed August 26, 2013

From the moment our group arrived in Ambergrise Caye, the staff of El Pescador began taking care of us in what I think of as one of my most memorable trips EVER. The resort is very clean, the food is very good, the views from the rooms are gorgeous and the fishing opportunities are unlimited.

Those alone could easily be reason enough to visit the resort, however, the most impressive part of my stay was the service from the staff. From management through every level, the service was simply outstanding....I've never been treated as well at any other destination EVER. In a single day every staff member knew my name, the names of my companions and the names of every other guest at the resort. Simply amazing !!

We left as a group not asking if we would ever return, but when. If you love to fish, hang out with great people in a spectacular location and perhaps have your own best visit EVER, head to Belize and El Pescador.

Room Tip: Rooms face the water so great views and the only noise is created by an occasional bird or the sea.
1 Thank Mick H
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Great Service, Staff always had a genuine smile and warm greeting. Villa was 1st class, plenty of room to move about. We had the fishing and weather Gods with us on this holiday. Had a great stay at El Pescador.
B & O Downunder

Room Tip: Villas are great if there is 2 or more couples.
Silicon Valley, CA
Reviewed August 19, 2013

El Pescador Resort is between a flyfishing adventure lodge and a hotel. Their hallmark may be the friendliness and attentiveness of the staff; they treat you like family and honored guests. You can fish your butt off all day trying to hook bonefish, permit, and tarpon with their many guides, or they will make arrangements for you to snorkel, dive, or explore Mayan ruins. They also maintain a large set of one-speed bicycles with wide tires that allow you to bike on the beach or on the pot-holed dirt roads into the town of San Pedro a couple of miles away. There is also a small fitness room with 2 treadmills, a bike, pilates ball, yoga mats, and an out-of-service bowflex. There is a pleasant freshwater swimming pool with lots of lounge chairs; it is so relaxing to sit there in the ocean breeze.

We stayed in the lodge, so our room was very small, and the decor was like an old Motel 6. But the bed and bedding were very comfortable and the rooms were kept very clean. TV and slow wifi are only in the bar/lounge. Breakfast and lunch are really excellent, and they will pack you a lunch if you are going out. Dinner is basic home-cooking, non-Belizean.

If you stay on the island of Ambergris Caye, you can't really get to other places in Belize unless you fly (~$130). The roads are serviced by golf carts, and water taxi would take more than an hour to get to Belize City. So if you want to visit that city, Tucal or Punta Gorda, you might want to do so before going to El Pescador. The town of San Pedro is very safe, whereas Belize City does have a travel warning due to gang activity. We really enjoyed our stay at El Pescador. My buddy thought his fishing guide was excellent and had a good boat. However, he did feel that the resident tarpon may be too hard to catch because they are so fished to. But there is plenty of bonefish!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Lubbock, Texas
Reviewed August 18, 2013

From the moment you land in Belize City, you are escorted and taken care of. The entire staff learns your name on the first day and you are made to feel not only welcome but also an important and valued guest. Beautiful scenery, manicured grounds, exquisite food and comfortable , clean rooms. Weather was poor when I was there and it didn't matter. It was a great week.

-howie

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank -howie806
Reviewed August 2, 2013

What an amazing experience! This is by no means just a fishing lodge! I fly fish for a living however my wife wants nothing to do with it, yet she was more then entertained while I was out on the flats. The staff knew our names the entire trip and were helpful the whole time. I am already planning my next trip!

• Stayed July 2013