Just returned from one week at Banyan Bay June 2014. We stayed in a 2 bedroom 2 bath second story garden view villa. Great property. Great condo. Friendly staff. Nice pool. Good beach for Ambergris (not a ton of sand on Ambergris beaches as island is formed by coral). Dive shop on site was great. Diving was good (I have been diving for 30+ years). I give it about a 7 on scale of 1 to 10. My girlfriend rates it a 6. We only went diving on the Ambergris reef and did not go to any of the outer reefs, atolls, etc. Lots of nurse sharks, rays, large grouper, some small turtles, green morays. Lionfish invasion not too bad! (Yet. . . ) Hol Chan/Shark Ray Alley trip is a must. We did it as a dive and the current is very strong. Lots of marine life, though, including spotted eagle rays heading to the outer reef (Hol Chan is inside the reef...). Restaurant on site - Rico's - is good but a bit pricey. Buying groceries is a challenge on Ambergris as there are only a few SMALL grocery stores. One small grocery is only about a half block from Banyan Bay condos. Also a nice bakery across from the grocery. Banyan Bay is about a mile from San Pedro town so, if you don't want a long walk, you might want to rent one of the ubiquitous golf carts. They are EXPENSIVE! Cab ride to SP only $5US each way so that is a better choice IMO. Banyan Bay offers free use of bicycles although we did not try them. Lots of traffic - almost all golf carts! You can also walk all the way to SP on the beach which we did several times. Good exercise and you meet alot of friendly people. And friendly dogs! Cooler in the morning but not much protection from the sun as the beach is on the east side of the island. We "strolled" to town most nights along the beach finding lots of shade. Fun walk along the beach taking about a half hour. Gets you ready for a great Belikin beer! Condo is fairly well equipped although the one we stayed in did not have a washer & dryer. Also, no dishwashers in the condos. Condos are spacious and have large balconies. Beds great. Linens and towels great. Maid service daily if you want it. Nice bathrooms, master has whirlpool. Free wi-fi in the lobby and around the pool. Originally most condos were "ocean view" but trees around the pool have now blocked the ocean view of most condos. Electricity is "fun" (??!!). The power company turned off the power to almost the ENTIRE island for about 8 hours while we were there. Everybody knew it was gonna happen. Management told us when we checked in. Most of the restaurants just stayed closed. People all very friendly. NOT SAFE TO DRINK WATER FROM THE TAP! Bottled water available cheap at the front desk. All in all a great trip. Belize and Ambergris are a bit of a challenge and not cheap but have alot to offer. Banyan Bay was fine. We enjoyed our stay and look forward to returning.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located by the beach less than a mile from downtown San Pedro, Banyan Bay Suites offers a great getaway from the everyday hustle and bustle of life. Featuring 2 bedrooms/2 bathrooms poolview and beachfront suites and 3 bedrooms/3 bathrooms beachfront suites, with kitchen fully equipped and central air conditioned. Spa is available onsite. A 3-level fresh water pool. Pier 366 Seafood House located by the beach offers breakfast, lunch and dinner. A full service diveshop onsite, that can help in your diving and snorkeling activities. A tour desk that can help in fishing and trips to the mainland including the Mayan temples, ziplining, cave tubing and the Belize Zoo. Banyan Bay Suites is the perfect resort for activities or relaxation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Cancelon, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Banyan Bay Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villas At Banyan Bay Hotel San Pedro
- Hotel At Banyan Bay
- Resort At Banyan Bay
- Banyan Bay Suites Belize/San Pedro