“What is so great about living in reality?”
Review of Cayo Espanto

and 1 more site!
Cayo Espanto
Ranked #27 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
atlanta, georgia
“What is so great about living in reality?”
Reviewed July 30, 2008

A week of living in fantasy. The first 24 hours was trained on adjusting to EVERY whim being meticulously satisfied. Over the continuing week I tasted flavors and witnessed culinary creations only meant for royalty. However, in the eyes of my houseman and the island staff....every guest is a celebrity and royalty. No one before or after me was more important than me. My bed was straight out of a Turkish palace, with plush, thick pillows stuffed with down. The constant rounds of fruit smoothies, rum drinks, daiquiris, bottled water, and liqueurs kept me in a perpetual mellow state. Evening skies of melting colors slowly passed into pure black night with sparkling shooting stars, which I watched from one of the perfectly positioned lounge chairs on the decks surrounding the villa. When the sun got too hot, I moved to the hammock which hung from one corner of the open-faced villa. Hot hand towels at dinner, cold face towels at lunch, and always the every present rum drink. The house was opened every morning to the sea breezes, and rising sun, with fresh fruit, coffee, tea, and anything you wanted for breakfast. The house was closed each evening to the sound of the native Crackel birds settling in for the night.

Upon my return to reality, It took days to recover from the loss of perfection. Sorrily missing the attention of my ever present houseman, as I returned to making my own coffee, and getting my own towels. I will never forget the perfect service and impeccable attention given to me by Elio, my houseman. The island is perfection.

• Liked — The impeccable service and personal attention.
  • Disliked — The seabugs
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
5 Thank crete55

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
NYC
Reviewed June 3, 2008

From the moment we arrived at the San Pedro Airport, I knew this was going to be a special trip. I was surprising my wife for our 15th anniversary. I was a little worried when we got to the Airport in Belize City (we had a direct flight from Charlotte) because it was not what we are used to. However, after a 30 layover and a 15 minute flight to San Pedro, we were greeted by "German" and two helpers. From that moment on, we did not lift a finger for anything. It was an amazing experience.

Chef Richard was incredible. We were there a week and he was the chef for the first three days. His creations were fantastic. Then we met Chef Patrick. Every day the chef would come to talk with us to help us plan lunch and dinner. There were no limitations and we were never disappointed. Patrick is a true genius and his style and creativity is perfectly suited for a resort like Cayo Espanto. This place is world class.

The first day we went snorkeling with German at Hol Chan. This was the best snorkeling we have ever done, except for Hayman Island in Australia and it was almost as good. That was our honeymoon so maybe that had something to do with it. The next day we just stayed on the island and we are so happy we did. The attention to detail and the service was unbelievable. Eddie was our houseman and we never had to ask for anything because he already had it there for us.

The Mayan ruins, fishing, massages and lounging were the best!

We recommend this to anyone. I has to be one of the best honeymoon spots in the world for sure. Great adventure and easy to get to.

• Liked — service and our villa
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
6 Thank alwaysalan
North Carolina
Reviewed May 1, 2008

First I have to say there is not such thing as sea lice. There is Jelly Fish larvae, which is normally only observed in April. These
lay dormant in the ocean fllor sand until released by storms or disturbed by people. Wearing sun screen or bug repellant is the
best solution. We did not experience any problem with them at all.

I can't even begin to tell you what we loved more. Everything was
beyond expectation. When you are there, you are treated as if you are the only people on the island. The service is outstanding. Obed, the houseman is the Best and so is Eddie. You have to request them. The others are just as wonderful. Now the food, as far as we are concerned, Chef Patric is not paid enough. Everything we asked for was prepared to above our
satisfaction.

We even enjoyed our afternoon visits with Salty, the island dog.
He would just come and camp out with us if we were laying out.

The Dive Master who is on the island was very knowledgable as well.

The one thing I have to say that you don't want to miss is the
Belizian Picnic. We caught all this fish and they took us to this private island, and we watched as they prepared everything that we caught that day. We didn't want to leave.

We hated to leave and were only sorry we couldn't take Obed home with us.

• Liked — It was luxurious, cozy, romantic, serene
  • Disliked — wish the beach area was a tad bit bigger but then it is an island
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
5 Thank gingercookie8
Bingham Farms, Michigan
Reviewed April 24, 2008

How do you spell "Perfection" ? My wife and I now spell it ~ C A Y O ~ E S P A N T O ! For our 25th anniversary I reserved this slice of Heaven on Earth for seven days and nights. We were blown away, in every detail! Our personal houseman, Obed, could not have been more wonderful. To virtually every request, large or small, he responded, "It would be my pleasure." And he sincerely makes you believe he means just that! We had been 'warned' about the potential for flies, but really had very little conflict with them at all. The island has a rather clever spray system using chrysanthemum essence spray... and it actually works quite well. The food is wonderful and beautifully prepared, and the service is second to none. We had massages every evening before dinner, by Brenda and Rosalita, who were marvelous. Mind you, this is not the place to stay if you need lots of activity and entertainment ~ beyond that which you can enjoy with your partner. It is really for a romantic getaway. As for my love of flyfishing, I caught bonefish each day, every day, right off our private dock. Obed brought me a resort rod and a few shrimp flies and I had a ball. And the private snorkel trip was FABULOUS with my wife. Expensive? Yes. But worth every penny in the quality and care you will receive. By the way, if you are the kind of person who actually 'believes' YOU are 'Entitled' to the best that money can buy, do stay away from here. You will probably find some thing benign or silly to complain about. Maybe the wine selection isn't up to your aloof standards, or the yacht-like toilet system might bother you... But if you know how to truly enjoy being alone with your loved one, and can find bliss in astounding beauty and unsurpassed personal care... this place will make you a believer. We will certainly go back!

• Liked — Privacy and amazing personal; attention
  • Disliked — It is a 4 1/2 acre island, and for the most part, it is you and your partner all day.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
5 Thank DrThought
Campbell
Reviewed April 13, 2008

For our honeymoon in August of 2000, we stayed in Belize for 4 days, then as a surprise to my wife, I booked Cayo Espanto for 3 days.

She LOVES the water, so immeidately upon arriving, we hopped into the water, only to find out that you can't go swimming. A few seconds after jumping into the water, we noticed things biting us. The only way to enjoy the water was to take an excursion somewhere away from the island, each of which they charged for.

Beyond that, they suggest that you can have meals outside, but when we did, we were eaten alive by the bugs.

So, for 3 days, we stayed in the wading pool, and had meals inside... My wife wanted to leave after the 2nd day, but we had no where to go. She was miserable most of the time, and on the last day, just cried saying, "I want to go home."

Overall, the grounds are very nice, and the service was prompt, but there are just a lot of things that they just don't tell you about the island that I think they should... If I would have known all of these items, I would have never stayed there.

So, if you do decide to book here, be sure you ask a lot of questions, and expect to say on the island or in your hut. Although your surrounded by water, you can't go in it. That probably explains why the photo of the two in the water are away from the island...

• Liked — Drinks along with peace and quiet
  • Disliked — Water and food
  • Stayed August 2004, traveled as a couple
32 Thank TriedToRelax
Florida
Reviewed February 25, 2008

Cayo Espanto was a deram come true. We expected to have a very nice time on a private island but it turned into something much better. We were treated almost like royalty with every detail thought out. The staff was beyond great and they were trained to be as accomodating as required. The accomadations were luxurious and the views fot e ocean were spectacular. We spent 4 days and wished we were there for 40 days.

This was a perfect vacation.

Stayed February 2008
7 Thank bhhock
Lausanne, Switzerland
Reviewed February 8, 2008

I dream at night that when I wake up I will be back at Cayo Espanto! This is truly a beautiful place. My husband and I got married in our Casita last July in a private ceremony. The setting was perfect! The food, staff, and privacy are all what you would expect (and then some!) There really is nothing like catching a snapper in the morning and having it prepared so perfectly for lunch!! This place is heaven on earth!
From the private beach excursion, to the hobie cat sailing, to the flats fishing and diving - true perfection.

• Liked — professional staff, outstanding food, beautiful location
  • Disliked — having to leave!
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple