“Paradise Island”
Review of Cayo Espanto

Cayo Espanto
Ranked #26 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We spent 6 days on Cayo Espanto in October 2008. It was the most amazing place with so many special qualities it is hard to know where to start. Our houseman was Obed and his assistant was Rollie and they waited on us hand and foot day or night. When we were up in the mornings I would push the button on the walkie talkie and immediately he would respond, "Yes Mr. Tolman this is Obed, what can I do for you?" I would tell him we were up and they would come and set up a table on our private dock with a plate if fresh fruit and fruit smoothies while we decided what we wanted to have for breakfast. The day would only improve from there. They have a dive master on site for snorkeling or scuba diving adventures. I have my advanced open water scuba and yet with the snorkeling we did there, I saw more wildlife than any scuba diving I have done. If you have ever wanted to be completely pampered then this is a destination you must check out!! We will definitely
Return to stay again in the future. Well worth the price even though it is expensive.

• Stayed: October 2012
3  Thank steeletolman
There are newer reviews for Cayo Espanto

Reviewed July 27, 2013

Generally we do not go back to places we have been to before, preferring instead to venture to places new and unknown. The world is a big and interesting place - why go to the same place twice? Once in a while however we find a place so good that we have to go back again,and then again. Cayo Espanto is such a place. Everything about the island is first class - the people, the food, the surroundings, things to do (snorkeling with nurse sharks, manta rays and turtles anyone?). The food is excellent and it is hard to understand how Michelin star restaurant quality food can be prepared on a small tropical island off the coast of Belize.
Leave the world behind, come here, and then spend the rest of the year wishing you were back here. A rare gem of a place.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
48  Thank gnvhp
Reviewed July 16, 2013

My boyfriend and I recently spent 10 days at this little piece of heaven in Belize. From the time we stepped off the plane in Belize City (a full 2 days before our actual stay at Cayo Espanto!), we were met by a representative of the resort and we could tell that our stay was going to be extraordinary! This resort takes care of every detail of your trip, making you feel safe (and spoiled rotten!) in every way. Aside from the ridiculously luxurious accommodations and premier food, the service is off the charts! Our every wish and whim were catered to graciously, and we just adored our houseman, Obed! One evening we commented how neat it would be to eat dinner on a floating pier we'd kayaked out to on a previous afternoon, and the next evening, we and our gourmet dinner were sailed out to that very pier for a candlelight dinner for two on the water! Probably best of all, though, was seeing my boyfriend, a self-employed businessman who typically works 16+ hours a day, 7 days a week, completely unplug and unwind and relax. For those 10 days, he was transported to another place where he hadn't a care in the world, aside from catching those bonefish and barracudas circling our private dock. I don't think this would be possible anywhere else. We are grateful to the wonderful staff at Cayo Espanto for making our days with them so entirely wonderful and memorable. We will definitely be back again!!

• Stayed: July 2013
16  Thank AbbyPerich
Reviewed May 10, 2013

My husband and I stayed for 3 nights at Casa Ventanas. It was a dream of mine to stay in an over water villa! The service at Cayo Espanto is unbelievable from the moment you arrive. The food was exceptional and beyond my wildest expectations.
We really enjoyed relaxing on the deck and spending time together. The only issue we had was the sea lice. Although we were provided special sun screen I still got bit but did not have any rash. Unfortunately these are common all over the world.
If you are looking for a social environment this is not the place for you. You truly feel like you are on your own island. It was a nice break from New York and every detail was considered. I would recommend Cayo Espanto to ANYONE looking to relax and unwind. It is worth every penny.

11  Thank StephNewYork
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Not much to say that hasn't already been said by other reviewers. My husband and I spent the last half of our honeymoon in Casa Manana on this beautiful island. It's as close to perfect as you can get. The food was impeccable, the service great and the view unparalleled. The attention to detail at Cayo Espanto was amazing.
Before traveling they sent a relatively in depth questionnaire so that they could provide the best experience (and food) possible. And they did.

We'll definitely be back here for an anniversary!

Room Tip: Casa Olita, Casa Manana and Casa Estrella probably have the best views.
8  Thank calicpa
Reviewed April 29, 2013

After reading all of the reviews about Cayo Espanto, we had VERY high expectations...these were easily met and far surpassed. All of the reviews touch on the exquisite beauty of the island, the incredible food, the exemplary service, etc. What can I add so that readers understand how special Cayo Espanto is??? For the entire six nights that we spent at Cayo, we felt like we were the most important people in the world. We have never felt so pampered in our lives. If everyone in the world could spend just one day at Cayo...tranquility would prevail! There's such a beautiful harmony on the island, everything is in sync....from our "Day at Sea" , our spa day and our helicopter departure over the Blue Hole...nothing was missed! A very special thank you to Obed and Antonio...our romantic stay at Casa Olita was unforgettable. We have always said that we would not visit the same place twice - because there is so much to see in the world - but we are already counting the days until we return to Cayo next year!

Room Tip: Casa Olita had the most privacy...but all of the casa's looked gorgeous!
14  Thank KatLarson
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I cannot begin to tell you how much we enjoyed our 25th anniversary trip to Cayo Espanto. From the moment we arrived at the airport, we were taken care of. I had very high expectations for this trip and they were far exceeded. It is nothing short of paradise! We have been many places, and as our time is winding down I am always ready to get back home. I did NOT want to leave this place! The entire staff was amazing, the food was awesome and the service was impeccable! Thank you so much for everything...and for sharing a little slice of heaven with us! We cannot wait to get back!

8  Thank CheriGibbs