“A truly unique experience”
Review of Cayo Espanto

Cayo Espanto
Ranked #24 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed December 27, 2011

My husband and I visited here for our anniversary. It was a wonderful, once in a lifetime experience. We chose Casa Solana and that was the perfect choice. It's on the sunset side of the island so I would sit on the deck and watch the sunset for at least an hour every night. It was very private, though you can certainly see others out on their decks, through the trees, or if they're kayaking around the island. We found the beach to be too warm to swim in, and I was covered in "sea lice" though they didn't seem interested in my husband. During the day they open up the villa so truly your only respite from the heat is the plunge pool. After visiting, I'm certainly glad we didn't stay in the overwater bungalow for this reason.

This was the most relaxing vacation we have ever taken. The beauty is that there is really nothing to do - which may be a negative for some. Our two "activities" while we were there were a massage and snorkeling trip, both booked through Cayo Espanto. Both were fantastic. The massage was one of the best I have ever had. We thoroughly enjoyed snorkeling as well. We made two stops, including swimming with sharks.

I would describe the food as one step above cruise food. That may excite you or depress you... we were not in love with the food. It was always plentiful and we were never hungry. Larry was our house man and he was wonderful. He was very responsive and gracious. One other note - if you are a person who is a mosquito magnet, I would suggest going during non-rainy season and bring several cans of bug spray. They do everything they can, but you are practically in a rain forest and there's only so much you can do!

In summary, if it won't break the bank, I recommend this as a wonderful one-time vacation. It hit the spot for my husband and I who both work very demanding jobs and needed to get away for a while.

Room Tip: I would only stay in Casa Solana if I went back. The unrestricted views of the sunset and horizon w...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank TexasLady7509

Reviewed November 19, 2011

We spent 7 days on Cayo Espanto and have fallen in love all over again.... With each other and with this wonderful resort. Our Days were spent swimming in the shallow waters around the island, snorkeling on the reef, eating the most fantastic food we have ever had in the islands and just enjoying the island. We had no bugs, no problems, no worries and no desire to ever leave. We highly recommend Cayo Espanto for anyone looking for the absolute best place in Belize, the best place in the Caribbean... and one of the best places in the world.

We will return.

Room Tip: You must have some of the Spa services.... they were as good as any we have ever had.
4  Thank deservesthebest
Reviewed October 29, 2011

Amazing!!! I was there in November and this trip still ranks in my top 3. In fact, it probably always will. It's hard to top the A+ service, food and location offered by Cayo Espanto. The people in Belize are some of the nicest I have met anywhere in the world. They truly welcome you and make you want to return again and again. Having a walkie talkie to order a mojito throughout the day was definitely a win-win. I also forgot about having the massage therapist come to our villa -- hearing the water around the villa as I listened to soothing music --- heaven on Earth! I had no complaints relative to Cayo Espanto!!!! Amazing experience!!!!

Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
4  Thank JazzyNC
Reviewed October 15, 2011

Cayo Espanto is a great place to unwind and get away from stress and a busy schedule. The staff was incredible and the villas amazing. The only problem we had is the "sea lice" that they never tell you about until you get there. So don't plan on any snorkeling or swimming off your private villa because it is all around. Instead we enjoyed kayaking all around the island and chartered a boat to go out to the reef diving. The staff are very helpful in arranging everything.

Room Tip: We loved the Casa Ventanas over the water and the Casa Brisa with our private plunge pool both offe...
  • Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Susan B
Reviewed September 28, 2011

This isn't going to be a long review. Because there's very little I can say about Cayo Espanto that hasn't been said here already. But I do have a question for anyone who's actually stayed at Cayo Espanto: Can you name any resort destination anywhere in the world that is more scenic AND more luxurious than Cayo Espanto? I certainly can't! If Cayo Espanto isn't THE most scenic spot on earth, then it has to be ONE of the most scenic spots on Earth and I can't believe any more scenic spot also hosts a more luxurious resort. If you know of one, then please share your secret!

So what can I say about Cayo Espanto that hasn't already been said? Well, I do want to mention their incredibly gorgeous night skies. There's almost no light pollution so you get an awesome 180 degree naked eye view of the Milky Way, constellations, shooting stars and planets. You might want to consider bringing a small telescope if you're into that sort of thing. On our first few nights we were also completely ringed by distant lightning strikes every few seconds lighting up the clouds edging the horizon, while still having completely clear skies overhead. My words fail to even begin to do justice to that incredibly spectacular light show we enjoyed. I only wish I'd brought a tripod so I could get some long exposure panoramic shots of that night sky!

There's so much more I could say about our fabulous stay at Cayo Espanto: the wonderful service, the fabulous food, etc., but not much that hasn't already been raved about in the other 5 star reviews. So let me just conclude with my highest endorsement: I have every intention of returning as soon as I possibly can!

Room Tip: 1) I don't agree with the reviewer here who advised against Villa Ventana. During our stay th...
5  Thank jazmaan
Reviewed September 7, 2011

Actual trip date was August 2010 not 2011. We stayed in Casa Ventanas which now has a window on the floor so you can watch the fish swim underneath your bungalow!

I was a little concerned about some of negative reviews but I we were pleasantly surprised; bugs, no water fleas. Food was absolutely amazing (you run out of room on your the table), not to mention the drinks and desserts. We felt absolutely spoiled by the fantastic staff and the views. Oh yeah, the private snorkeling trip and massage were 5-stars!

Some people mentioned that Belize wasn't safe but we did not feel in harms way at all during our trip to and from Belize.

This place is a must on anyone's bucket list!
-Mr. and Mrs. Coflin

Room Tip: Each has its own private view, there is only one of them that is close to the kitchen but next to a...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank gbcoflin
Reviewed September 7, 2011

To summarize our experience at Cayo Espanto one must first understand that as seasoned travelers we have high expectations. Like most of your guests we are Ritz Carlton regulars. The “average” amenities and accommodations are certainly acknowledged; however, superiority is not an easy quest. It requires a few things. First, things must run like a finely tuned machine, and secondly, posses those qualities that make an impression on the guest making them feel important and as if their needs were not only anticipated but also of utmost importance.

Cayo Espanto is a finely tuned machine. The timing of everything is finite, accurate, and unbelievable. From the arrival in San Pedro to the numerous varied requests for coffee in the morning, snacks in the afternoon, to drinks for our afternoons on the Hobie Cat “sailing,” or our varied last minute requests that were all met by the ever so willing staff. Honestly, there was no detail missed. To include all those small things that make you think “wow”, this place really gets it they just nail it every time would take too many pages.

The single most important thing that stood out for us was the ease and simplicity of the whole experience. We absolutely didn’t have to do anything but relax. Factor in the beauty, incredible food, fantastic accommodations, and sex appeal and it was a true trip of a lifetime which we will be repeating.

The staff defined professionalism and grace. All the way from Russell during the reservation process through the whole experienced team. Ester, Carlos, Sylvan, German, Patrick, and all of the misc. players that were equally important yet were behind the scenes. They were well trained and consistent yet shared their charm and good humor with us and made us feel like a part of a select family.

Kudos on an incredible operation.

Thank you for sharing your island with us.

Room Tip: Casa Manana had incredible sunsets and Casa Brisa offerred a wonderful breeze
6  Thank tamodom