“Unparalleled skill and service”

Scuba School And Family Dive Center
Ranked #3 of 77 Tours in San Pedro
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Scuba School And Family Dive Center Belize is a premier dive center in Belize, offering scuba lessons, local dives, Blue Hole, private charters, Blue Hole Overnight, mainland tours and much. We are a full license tour operator company that provides services throughout the country of Belize.
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I went to Ambergris Caye to learn how to scuba dive and obtain certification. I found Scuba School Belize (SSB) online and picked them because they seemed to be exactly what I was looking for -- one on one teaching with no rush and no fuss. LIttle did I know that what I would find at SSB completely eclipsed what I saw online. Junior, Colin, Maria, and Annika were simply incredible. From the moment I sent an inquiry via email to pick up at my hotel to arrival at SSB, the service and accommodation was outstanding. They were on point with every single detail of my training. I started with Colin in the back pool, and I found him to be knowledgable and very patient with me (I'll grudgingly admit that I was a little nervous with mask clearing, etc).
The next day Junior took me out for my first two open water dives. It's hard to encapsulate how good Junior is -- he's clearly an incredible diver, but I'm sure there are plenty of people who are great at diving on the island. But for me, what separates Junior from everyone else is is love for teaching and his incredible patience, walking lock step with you all the way. I will also grudgingly admit that I was EXTREMELY nervous about being 50 feet under water and having to take my mask off and then put it on and clear it. In fact, during the skill I nearly froze and was ready to go back to the surface. But Junior put me at ease (all without being able to talk to me, mind you, as we were 50 feet deep) and got me though the skill. And after that I was able to fly through the rest of the skills.

The other thing that impressed me was how well the staff treated me. I was by myself on this trip and Junior + his entire team treated me like family in the truest sense of the word. I would go back to SSB in a second, and I fully plan to do so (to complete my advanced certification) when I am able to go on holiday again. And I would also recommend SSB to ANYONE who is interested in learning how to dive. I'm now PADI certified and am eager to get my advanced certification, but wouldn't even dream of doing that at any other place except SSB with Junior and his team. I can't wait to go back!

1  Thank dwalton926
Venancio T, Manager at Scuba School And Family Dive Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

David, we appreciate very much for your time in sharing your review! SSB is grateful for your contribution to the "Kids in Action" program, am sure the kids will forever treasure this great experience. It was a pleasure having you get certified with us and having you as part of our diving family. Looking forward to to have you diving with SSB on your next trip to San Pedro, Ambergris Caye!

Reviewed June 30, 2013

I have quite a bit of experience diving at Ambergris Caye. On this particular 2 week trip, I was initially farmed out to different operations each day. I was very lucky to hear about Scuba School Belize and dove 10 dives with them. They are excellent. Junior, Zane, Collin, and Maria are all VERY PROFESSIONAL. Although I've been certified for a few years, I was able to watch some of Junior and Collin's instruction at the dock and on the boat. If my kids ever want to get certified, then I'll for sure bring them with me to San Pedro and let SSB train them. And as for experienced divers, they also delivered on some great dives for me as well. I go to San Pedro every year, and I will now only dive with Scuba School Belize.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

This place was great. I had ZERO intention of ever going scuba diving on this vacation or any other for that matter. However, my bf went in to look for a t-shirt and somehow how we ended up in their training pool the next day! They have their own pool in the backyard where you can learn the basic essentials of scuba diving. The day after our pool lesson we went out into the ocean and went scuba diving for a half n hour. This is one of the best things my boyfriend and I have ever done and I am so very glad we did it. I fear the deep ocean and have issue with my ears so I was very hesitant, now I cant wait to go again. We did receive our partial certification with the first time which is very cool. The guides/owner were very friendly and patient and that makes all the difference in the world when you are nervous and trying new adventures. Make sure you walk in to inquire rather than going through your resort, the price is reduced by going in yourself ( going through a resort increases the price bc they receive a portion of the profit).

Venancio T, Manager at Scuba School And Family Dive Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Tara we are glad to hear you had a memorable time on your first experience discovering the beauty of the under water wonders! We hope to be the fortunate to get you certified when you decide to do so. Thank you for your review, hope to see you back in Ambergris Caye.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

I dove with these folks in May and had a wonderful experience. The dive sites are close so you come back to shore for your surface interval. The dive sites are in good shape. The operation is smooth from the contact with Maria at the office to the dive itself. Junior was great to dive with. My friends and I went snorkeling with them the same afternoon....what a great trip. We had two timid snorkelers in our group who felt totally at ease by the end of the afternoon.
Totally recommend this dive shop!!! Oh and thanks for the referal to Black and White restaurant...great spot.

Venancio T, Manager at Scuba School And Family Dive Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2014

Hi DID56,
Thank you for the review, we really appreciate it. Happy to hear that you had wonderful time here with us, we try our best as possible to make our guess happy. Hope to see you back in Belize soon.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

Our experience with Scuba School was fantastic! They were recommended by a friend, and they were truly a professional dive shop. We dove morning, afternoon, and evening; the boat picked us up on our dock, Jr. thoroughly briefed every dive, emphasizing safety and educating us on the local waters. Maria pleasantly made our arrangements; we highly recommend this dive shop. They keep the groups small (four of us), dive areas that are not crowded, and both Jr. and Zane accommodated our diving needs. The warm towels after each dive topped a positive diving experience. We would definitely use this shop again. Thanks guys for a fabulous trip!

Venancio T, Manager at Scuba School And Family Dive Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Jeanne we are glad made your vacations fun and memorable! We enjoyed being with your group of professional divers on the three days with us. It was a pleasure having you all around, we hope to see you back soon. Thank you so much for your review!