New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Belize Hutz
Playa
“Perfect for Us”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

Belize Hutz was the perfect bungalow for us. We were friends traveling together from Colorado and California. When we first arrived to the island, I asked a couple of people where 2141 Pearl Street was and nobody knew. Finally I asked the taxi driver where Belize Hutz was and he knew exactly where it was. We arrived not knowing what to expect and thankfully received a very friendly welcome from James. He kindly showed us to our room, turned on the AC and left us feeling we came to the right place. We were immediately able to have a nice cold beer and the sweet sound of reggae filled our ears. It was perfect having the bar in the hotel parameters and everyone surrounding it was friendly and positive. We enjoyed the walk to the beach from Belize Hutz. We appreciated the fact that we were not in town but could walk along the beach to get there. We even caught a glimpse of fireflies on the way a couple of nights. We always felt safe with Belize Hutz and couldn't believe how reasonable the rates where. We planned on one night but stayed for three! Thank all of you for the wonderful memory and we will definitely pass on the word about how great Belize Hutz is!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
jamesrwardvancouver, Owner at Belize Hutz, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
thank you so much for your kind words - every time we hear one more person was happy with their stay it makes our job gets a little bit nicer. thank you!

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

I'm a little late getting this review done as I am still catching up from my travels. I stayed at Belize Hutz the second week in November, at the start of a two month run around Mexico and Belize, and I was quite happy with my stay there. It is not a luxury hotel, but there are very few of those in San Pedro and they will cost you four or five times what I paid here. In total I spent three weeks in San Pedro so I have a pretty good hasdle on the various accomodations.

Location

It is south of town located in a local neighbourhood, but that is part of the charm. If you are going into Town it is a $5 cab ride, or about a half hour walk, which you can do along the beach (5 min walk). As I was trying to learn as much about the area as possible I walked in and back everyday, constantly turning down offers to drive me in by many of the golf carts passing by. If you want to cab it, then the staff call one for you and you will be on your way in fve mins. If you are there for a week, just rent a golf cart like many of the other tourists.

The Hutz

It is actually quite a neat setup. The perimiter is fenced in for added security, there is a small pool and a large bar, and rooms in barracks style that gave the feel of a jungle lodge. The rooms while basic, were clean and comfortable, and suit the overall feel. I had no issues with the room, and when I asked for something as I headed out in the morning it was waiting in my room when I got back at night.

In the evening the action is around the pool/bar and I spent three nights chatting with the staff and some of the locals. My favorite night was when we took turns selecting the next song to be played and I introduced the young people there to Jeff Buckley. The beer was ice cold. As I was there in off season the kitchen had not opened yet, but we ordered in pizza one night, and I ate at the canteen just outside the gates two nights. The rest was in town.

If you are looking for the Hilton, this is not the place for you. But my stay worked out perfectly and was probably the best overall value I had on my two months of travel. I also stayed right on the beach in other hotels in San Pedro, and they will cost you twice as much for a basic room. For the high end hotels, you pay big city prices. If you are looking for a place to lay your head while on various day adventures, this works out perfectly. Your stuff will be safe during your time out, and you have a nice place to come back for a drink before hiting the sack.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank findingMOS
thank you for taking the time to review our hotel
I know it is difficult to take time to help others but we really do appreciate it
hopefully we will see you back in San Pedro soon!
Puerto Aventuras, Mexico
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

I am amazed at the positive reviews.The hotel is like staying in a fraternity house that is on probation.I was greeted by a shirtless Jamie who sat under a "NO REFUNDS" sign, and then showed me to my single room.I could easily see why guests are required to pay up front, and could not receive a refund if they were displeased.The place is rundown, and the dark, single-window room bore no decoration of any kind.The rusted AC tried its best, but with the bar traffic outside the window, the pool table, and the noise till midnight,and the barking dogs, there is no peace.

The Hutz is located a long distance from town, and cabs are a hit or miss deal.The surrounding area is not pleasant, and the dusty walk to the beach(with dive gear) is an aerobic workout.I received 2 out of 6 "wake up knocks" that I had requested, and nearly missed an expensive dive trip.There is WiFi, but there are no other amenities....no shampoo....no extra toilet paper.I was amazed that the hot water worked.

I did meet another female "manager" who seemed to be on vacation herself.Both she and "Jamie" seemed to be more interested in socializing with the bar crowd then making any attempt to respond to the guests.The two other female employees really tried, but seemed to have no assistance from the managers.

I have stayed at worse places in a pinch.But this "hotel" would be my last choice on San Pedro.The price should be reflective of the rates at a marginal hostel rather then the rates that
are currently charged.As I stated, I don't know how anyone could have actually stayed at "The Hutz" and wrote a positive review.This place is a remote, noisey,dump.

The cost was well over what one would pay fo manyr beachfront rooms, and actual service.I was fooled by the 3 star reviews, and hope to save anyone else the disappointment and expense.

Room Tip: Check out the smaller hotels near and in town.Their prices are very good, and you will not have to w...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank womantraveler59
jamesrwardvancouver, Owner at Belize Hutz, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
i was very unhappy when i read this review and called the resort immediately - we have not had one bad review like this one ever! while staying at the resort, she did not complain to the manager or any of my staff and actually when she checked out there was no issues whatsoever. from what i can tell, when she arrived back home she found a cheaper price on a travel site $20 less - she called travel site to complain but was offered little assistance - so she decided to take matters in her own hand and wrote this terrible review - all of which is completely false. if she would have called me directly rather than taking this type of action, we would have been more than happy to offer her discount on next trip of something - it is our intention for all of our guests to be satisfied with our service!
James Ward sr
CEO Belize Hutz
Soda Springs, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

Clean rooms with AC and wifi with the bonus of a great atmosphere and tasty food and drinks all for a fantastic value. Not the place to stay if you want to spend 5x the price for a place right on the beach, but if you are willing to walk a bit, and want to hang out with nice folks and spend your cash on activities and dinner, this is the place for you. A small and comfy cluster of cabins around a nice pool and palapa lounge, where the basics are done right. Right around the corner from Robin's restaurant, also highly ranked, and a short bike ride to downtown. The surprise was the quality food and great drinks at the bar, which exceed the quality of other well known and much more expensive places along the beach and downtown.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
jamesrwardvancouver, Owner at Belize Hutz, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
thank you for taking the time to tell others about your experience staying with us.
it is nice to hear good comments - we try our best to make sure you have a great stay.
Belmopan, Belize
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

Arrived at Belize Hutz, Ambergris Caye on January 8, 2013. I intended on staying a few days, but the proprietor, James Ward, his son Jamie, Candice, Nolan and the entire staff made my stay so pleasant that I stayed for over two weeks. The rooms are clean and reasonably priced. The resort is a bit off the beaten track, a short taxicab ride or bicycle (my preferred choice) ride to the main part of town. At the end of the day, it was refreshing to get away from the noise and traffic in town to the quiet atmosphere of Belize Hutz, where a shared a drink, a good meal (try the fish and chips, fish tacos or ask the cook to prepare something special) and pool games with staff and locals made a very pleasant evening. I am currently traveling to Placencia, but before leaving Belize I plan on staying at Belize Hutz, for the perfect ending to my trip thru Belize.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Spurgian
Thanks Spurgian for the review - hope to see you soon back on the island!!
Budapest, Hungary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

We got to San Pedro and Hutz for a 2 night stay and couldn't pry ourselves away for a week... it's a dream island, and an incredibly friendly and relaxing hotel. The accommodations look like cute wooden huts from the outside, but inside they're all super modern and totally refurbished. Best of both worlds. The staff is patently friendly and helpful (even to the point of finding a creative way to accommodate our request to stay extra days even though they were overbooked). Hutz is a bit out of town, which is nice if you're looking to chill out. It's a 2 min walk from the beach and everyone rents golf carts to get around the island. The free wifi and coffee work out well, too!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SRASRA
thanks for the review - we really enjoyed your company - I hoe you both come back to visit us real soon!
California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

Stayed there for 3 nights this week, and found that the rooms were good (fairly sizable with decent aircon). I had Room number 9 which faced the corner pool bar, so at times, the music was fairly loud. It was slow season, so no food was being served, but the lady on the corner serves some awesome tacquitos for a $3 BZE. The small pool is refreshing though they had to keep shocking it because of the storms. My only complaint about the room was the "trickle" shower (I wasn't the only one that had the issue)---it was puzzling, because the pool shower had decent pressure. The staff (in particular Liz and Eduardo) are fabulous!
It is a little way from town, but it is cheap to take a taxi there!
Decent value for the money.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo