“Fantastic snuba & snorkeing experience with Discovery Expeditions”

Discovery Expeditions San Pedro - Day Tours
Ranked #57 of 78 Tours in San Pedro
More attraction details
Owner description: Discovery Expeditions San Pedro Tours, located on the island of Ambergris is the premier connection for great underwater adventures that an entire family can enjoy. Discovery Expeditions is the only authorized tour operator in Belize for Snuba® and Sea Trek®. Snorkeling tours, diving tours and day tours to mainland attractions are also offered. Discovery Expeditions San Pedro is located on the Exotic Beach Resort pier in San Pedro Town (0.8 miles South of the San Pedro Town Center).
Reviewed March 12, 2014

We are so glad we did a snuba experience with Discovery Expeditions (in San Pedro) during our stay on Ambergris Caye, Belize. They picked us up at our dock a few miles south of San Pedro. We’ve snorkeled before, but this was our first time to snuba. For a little more money than going in a group, we did a private tour to Hol Chan and Shark/Ray Alley. Two of our group did snuba and the other two people snorkeled.

Discovery sent 2 guides, one for snuba and one for those snorkeling. Conrad was our snuba guide. He was friendly, patient, and careful with us. He made sure we were comfortable with the set up before leading us away from the boat. We recommend him highly. Our friends who snorkeled with Andy as their guide. They felt very safe with him, had a beautiful snorkeling experience, and also recommend Andy highly.

Conrad had scuba gear and could go deeper than we did; while doing so, he pointed to things that he thought we would like to see. He regularly turned around to check on our status with hand signals he had taught us. We felt safe at all times. It was easy to breathe and the mouthpiece was far more comfortable to me than any snorkel has ever been. We were able to swim at a depth comfortable to each of us and pause when we wished to gape at the fantastic underwater world.

Snuba was all we hoped it would be. Within minutes I was so glad I had chosen to try this new way of being in the water. I felt immersed in the underwater world to an extent I’ve never experienced with snorkeling. It was easy to breathe and the mouthpiece was far more comfortable to me than any snorkel has ever been. At one point a school of fish chose to swim nearby us and in the same direction for quite a while. A great experience.

I can’t say enough positive about this method of observing water life, and Conrad with Discovery Expeditions is a great person to have as your teacher and guide. This was a vacationing highlight for me, absolutely. We are now talking about choosing future vacation sites based on snuba availability.

We are 67 years of age, in moderately good shape, and this was very do-able for us. It was a bit taxing for me to swim against the moderate but steady current back to the boat. Conrad kindly picked up a rope that was tied to our snuba raft and pulled the raft for us.

Following our snuba experience, the guides took us to Shark/Ray Alley, where the 4 of us snorkeled and saw many nurse sharks and rays, along with other fish, all within 100 feet or so of the boat. We were pleased that Conrad and Andy, the snorkeling guide, respected the animals and didn’t encourage us to try to get close or touch them, as we’ve heard some guides do. The animals deserve to set their limits for space when we are intruding on their world.
Two thumbs up! for Discovery Expeditions and Conrad in particular.

3  Thank QueenElizabeth2014
There are newer reviews for Discovery Expeditions San Pedro - Day Tours

Reviewed January 26, 2014

Knowledgeable staff.. Fantastic! Worked with us on scheduling around some rainy days. The sites were great, the staff knowledgeable, I can highly recommend!

Reviewed January 6, 2014

My husband and I had two great adventures through Discovery -- thanks to Rico, who arranged our tours. First, we thoroughly enjoyed our snuba outing. Discovery is the only outfit on the island that offers snuba - a cross between scuba and snorkel. Definitely give snuba a shot if you don't want to spend the time and money to become scuba certified but want to have the underwater experience. We saw dozens of types of fish, several turtles, sting rays, nurse sharks, and beautiful coral. Our snuba guide, Conrad, was outstanding and very patient with me when I panicked for a few minutes while acclimating to the snuba breathing device. Much appreciated! We also really enjoyed our trip to Lamanai through Discovery. They organized our quick flight to the mainland and all other transportation. Our Lamanai guide, Vel, was a delight and was very informative about the Mayan culture. Discovery is conveniently located on a dock off the beach in the middle of town. Please visit them (or arrange your tours before your vacation) -- you'll be glad you did.

1  Thank Ellen G
Reviewed December 3, 2013

This was my second time using Discovery Expeditions to go snuba diving because it was great the first time. On this tour to Hol Chan, Carlos did a great job pointing out marine life when we were in the water. We also went snorkeling at Shark Ray Alley and the nurse sharks there are amazing. You will see a lot of marine life so take your camera.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

Snuba is very cool. I'm an ok swimmer underwater but not great on top at all.. So this activity was perfect for me. Don't hesitate if you're not a strong swimmer. Our guide was even accommodating & let me snuba w a life best on at first to get use to it. After 10 min... I was deep underwater enjoying it all! The company is great. We were picked up and dropped off right in front of our hotel. The tour with them also includes snorkeling at shark ray alley.

2  Thank KaciAtlanta