“These guys are awesome.”
Review of Belize Jungle Trek

Belize Jungle Trek
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Cruise Ship Passengers and Overnight visitors can enjoy some of the most unique adventures in Belize. Our tours are fun, safe and a must do at this port of Belize. Apart from the turquoise seas, the sandy beaches of the many islands dotted off our shores and the rich blanket of rainforest that spreads across the country, there is a world yet to be explored beneath the surface. Discover the secrets of the ancient Mayas tubing through an underground realm exploring majestic caves, known as the Mayan underworld. This cave tubing adventure is done several places in Belize, including at the Caves Branch Archaeological Reserve. Visitors can experience a journey of a lifetime into a dark but mysterious place and learn about the Mayas who utilized these caves from as early as 300 A.D. The Mayas who occupied Belize thousands of years ago, considered these caves as Sacred. The Mayas only visited these caves periodically to conduct important rituals.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Lockers / storage, Food available for purchase
Portland, Oregon
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“These guys are awesome.”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

After arriving at the tiny Belmopan airport in a little Cessna Caravan, we caught a ride with the only other passenger on the plane who was getting picked up by John, the manager of the Bullfrog Inn Hotel. We checked in and asked if the hotel could recommend a local tour guide so we could go cave tubing, check out the zoo and see some ruins. Jovan came to the hotel right away, and consulted us on a private tour to the Belize Zoo and to No'hoch Che'en for cave tubing. He quoted us a price that was more than reasonable and we agreed to meet the next morning.

The next morning we were picked up by Jovan in a comfortable, air conditioned van and we headed to the zoo. We spent about 1 1/2 hours at the zoo with him on a guided tour while he shared his knowledge about all of the indigenous species which our housed here. Then we headed to the caves where we met up with his employee Alex who joined us on our tour of the river. We started our hike with a nice swim, and then headed up the trail while he shared with us his knowledge of the native plant species. We got to the start of the tubing portion of the trip and kept a nice easy pace down the river, and into the darkness of the caverns, taking stops inside to jump off rocks into deep sections of the river for a most unforgettable experience.

We had such a good time, we ended up booking him again the next morning for a half day trip to Xunantunich near the Guatamalan border.

I had mentioned that I was unsuccessful in finding anywhere to enjoy local favorite foods of gibnut and stew beans with pigtail, and on the way back Jovan brought us to a small cafe where I was finally able to try these local foods that you will not find at any restaurant catering to tourists. Thank you!!

I highly recommend having these guys show you around.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Brookspdx

Langley, British Columbia
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Feeling Ripped Off!”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Clearly by the other reviews on this site I am an anomaly, that stated I was appalled by the service we received from this outfit. I booked months before arrival and made my decision based on Tripadvisor reviews. When my wife and I arrived at the port there was no one to meet us. Finally, after about a half hour someone showed up with a sign with our name on it. I thought, okay, no worries now we can get going. Much to my surprise we were shuffled off with another tour company and told Jungle Trek would meet us the zip line site. No problem, I thought. We arrive at the site and are then told we will just be part of the tour planned by another company. At this point we have no option but to tag along. There was nothing wrong with the guides we were with and the zip lining and cave tubing was fine; the cave though over crowded is spectacular. Nevertheless our itinerary stated we would get to do seven zip lines (we only did three). We left the zip lining area feeling cheated. During our entire excursion no one explained what was going on until it came time to collect the money. The other folks on our bus paid $75.00 dollars per adult for their experience while we paid $95.00. When we returned to the port I asked Junior, our driver, why Jungle Trek did not show up. He told me that if Jovan did not have enough customers he would not make a trip. I do not recall being sent any information that we would be pawned off to another tour operator without our consent when I made my 50% down deposit. Upon my return I emailed the company and asked for a $40.00 dollar refund. I did so days before writing this review. This request was based on the fact that the others in the group paid $75.00 and the fact we were told (in writing) we would experience seven zip lines, not three. In the big picture getting the forty bucks back is not a huge disappointment however not hearing back from the company, a company who very quickly responded to my emails when I initially booked, is very disheartening.

Visited March 2013
6 Thank MBinBC
nickman031, Manager at Belize Jungle Trek, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Wow, this is a first...Ripping off our customers is not our objective. The way you described the tour yougot with us is the same tour you would get if you booked through the ship, at almost twice the price we charged. Ship passengers who book through the ship pays way more than $95US pp for zipline and cavetubing combo. We do charge $75US pp for groups and the elderly/Senior citizens and even less for kids. You were just a party of two, the others were a small family who paid our discounted rate.
We waited for all our customers who booked with us online at the port until we had everyone except you guys. We decided to leave since we had a schedule time frame to keep. We had persons in our group who booked with another affiliated company but had no problem having us take them. Here in Belize, we all work together and I only work with professional, fun tour guides and reputable tour companies, so you wont have to worry about the service. We had no intentions of leaving you at the port waiting on us, so we had another affiliated company, who we work along with, take you.
The zipline experience I described to you by email is in fact true. There are two zipline area at the cavetubing park, so we change the itinerary to accommodate you, since you got off late and we had a time constraint. The last thing we want to do is get back late for the last tender boat back to the ship. Instead of doing seven shorter runs, you did three longer lines instead, which is the normal zipline tour for people who book from the ship.oi So to say you were ripped off is not exactly right. People who book through the ship should be saying that, not you. We also did refunded the $20US pp as you requested. You forgot to mentioned we included lunch which was not part of our itinerary at no extra cost.
I still do have to apologize for not fulfilling your expectations. your problem was the costs and you forgot to take in the moment and enjoy Belize. for that we are sorry. I must say that despite the negative review, and how it will affect us, we still encourage our customers to leave reviews and share their experience with others. We appreciate the review and it will definitely help us to get better at what we love, showcasing Belize. Thanks for choosing us. God Bless.
Minnesota
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 86 helpful votes
“Excellent Tour Operation”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

We booked a tour that included seeing Xunantunich and going cave tubing. We flew from Ambergris Caye and were picked up at the airport by Jovan and Eli. These guys run a very professional, yet lighthearted operation. They were very knowledgeable about the history of the places we visited as well as the countryside we drove through on the way. We were lucky enough to have great weather so the view from the top of the ruins was awesome. Like others have said, I would definitely recommend sandals or reef shoes with some thick bottoms for the walk to the cave tubing entrance. The tubing was relaxing and interesting. Part of it is through the caves and part is leisurely drifting down the river through the jungle. We had a great time and I would definitely recommend this company to any of my family or friends.

Visited December 2012
iowa
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Good tour operators!”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Booked 2 trips from san pedro to mainland(cave tubing/ziplining and Lamanai river mayan tour). 2 different days 2 different guides met us at the belize muni airport and drove us with nice commentary of the countryside as we went and arrived at our destinations in good spirits even with some bumpy roads. Both are were the trips buit we really rank Lamanai trip as the best!

Visited February 2013
Austin, Texas
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Totally Tubular!”
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Had a great tour through the caves with Dion and Brandon yesterday. Their tour was fun and friendly! Great walk through the jungle. Dion is knowledgeable about the history and geology. He is a bit of a "rule breaker" and allowed us to drink beer and punch on the trip. He allows you to truly be on vacation. A great guide for 20-40 somethings looking for an adventure on the wild side.

Visited January 2013