We stayed in a very nice 2-BR 2-BA condo at the end of November 2013. The condo was great, but the complex let us down in a few areas.
The condo was very well appointed with a big kitchen, decently sized bedrooms, two big bathrooms, and higher end appliances. The condo was very clean and had excellent housekeeping service that included doing all the dishes and doing our personal laundry. Loved that. We also liked that the bedrooms are located at opposite ends of the condo so you have a little more privacy than if they were side-by-side. Our condo (and all the others from what we could tell) had a nice view of the pool and the Caribbean.
The rest of the complex and some of the staff were a bit lacking. The pool was clean but the water was cold and we rarely saw anybody swimming for more than a few minutes. They have two hot tubs on site - one was empty and the other was awful. We stayed for 10 days and the hot tub was disgusting every day, with cloudy luke-warm water and some kind of floating slime constantly swirling around the tub. There was also a bit of construction noise from the new phase being built next door. The noise wasn't terrible and could only be heard during the day if you were laying out. From what I was told by the staff there will construction here for many more months.
The trip planner / concierge (Rachel?) was also a big let down. She was very low-energy and didn't seem to know anything about the trips other than what was written in her book. She didn't have much at all to offer for recommendations on trips or restaurants. When she couldn't answer a few questions I had on a particular trip I had to push her to call the tour group and get the info. The remainder of the staff was helpful and pleasant to deal with.
Access to the complex was a bit of a surprise. I looked at the map and saw it was a couple miles from town so I expected it would be a short taxi ride. I had also read about the water taxi service and that sounded good too. The reality was a bit different. The road from town to the complex is unpaved and was a mess the entire time we were there. Potholes everywhere and a lot of standing water in places. Taxi service is $35 US round trip, golf carts run about $70 per day unless you plan to rent for several days. The water taxi was much less expensive and a nice way to travel but they only run about once an hour and they stop around 11pm. None of this had a huge impact on the trip but we may consider booking something closer to town if we return.
Much has been said in other reviews about the overpriced bar. The bar is certainly overpriced and we thought the food was poor, but we didn't plan to eat there frequently so it wasn't a big deal for us. The service at the bar was excellent, and the drinks were good. Ingrid in particular was very fun and upbeat.
The security staff was very helpful on a few occasions and we felt that security overall was very good here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The unique layout of this premier resort provides the entire 1 bedroom, 2 bedroom and 3 bedroom condos with an unobstructed panoramic view of the second largest Barrier Reef! The residences are beautifully appointed with spacious, fully equipped kitchens. The living rooms and bedrooms have flat screens and all accommodations also have ipod docking, DVD and internet service. Concierge can arrange local flights, golf cart rentals, all tours including snorkeling, diving, fishing, sailing, mainland excursions, private charters, private chefs and babysitting. Contact us for your next vacation, honeymoon or any special occasion! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire and getaroom.com so you can book your Grand Caribe Belize Resort and Condominiums reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Caribe Belize Resort And Condominiums Hotel San Pedro
- Grand Caribe Belize Resort And Condominiums San Pedro