My husband and I went to Belize for our 20th anniversary and stayed in the jungle for half of it (check my other reviews - fabulous place!), and then decided to come to the beach for the second half. Our travel agent booked us into a place in the heart of San Pedro, and we were not impressed at all... and sad that our vacation was going to end on such a sour note (again, you can find this in my other reviews).
Our saving grace was when we rented a golf cart and explored the northern end of the island and found the Grand Caribe, quite by accident. We pulled up that morning around 9am, walked through the lobby, saw the indescribable view out the back, and by 10:30am, we had checked OUT of the other place and fully moved IN to the Grand Caribe!! And we only had 1 night left of our vacation!
The tedious move was WELL WORTH IT. This place is stunning. The condo they placed us in had a full-size, stocked kitchen, a gorgeous bedroom with a walk in closet, and a bathroom that was OUT OF THIS WORLD. The shower alone made the whole place worth it! And between the time we left at 9 and returned at 10:30, they had decorated the room for us with towel swans on the bed, a heart made from rose petals, a bathroom sink full of rose petals... it was lovely, and so much more in line with what we wanted for our special honeymoon. (okay, my husband could've done without the flowery swans, but guys, little extra touches like that make a difference to us ladies!)
Another perk that made the move a no-brainer was that they provided us with a personal housekeeper who did ALL of our laundry for us!! I'm talking our WHOLE WEEK's worth of laundry even though we were only there for that one last night! I went back home with a whole suitcase full of clean clothes. Ahhhhhhh....
Their salt-water pool is incredible - I think it's the biggest in Belize, if I'm not mistaken. The views of the ocean are gorgeous (I'm sure it helped that we had beautiful weather). The general atmosphere is quiet - which was more what we were looking for as opposed to the noisy crowds down in the heart of San Pedro where we were.
My ONLY complaint - and it's not even a fair complaint - is that the beach is only mediocre. This is true for most of the island, though... the buildings are built right up close to the water, so there's not much sand to begin with. And they are constantly fighting the seaweed that washes up onto the shore. Most of the reputable resorts (of which this is one) do a good job of scooping it all up each day. Big, boring job, but I'm glad they do it - what they have is beautiful... it's just not much. In a nutshell, if you want a gorgeous beach, go to Playa del Carmen. If you want a gorgeous room in a beautiful country with attentive service and a fantastic swimming pool, then you can't go wrong with the Grand Caribe.
I think we paid about $309 ($350 or so after taxes/fees) for a 1 bedroom suite. WORTH EVERY PENNY. I have photos (and if you'd like to see them you are free to send me a message), but if you are questioning the "reality" of their professional, stock photos - don't. This place is beautiful.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The unique layout of this premier resort provides the entire 1 bedroom, 2 bedroom and 3 bedroom condos with an unobstructed panoramic view of the second largest Barrier Reef! The residences are beautifully appointed with spacious, fully equipped kitchens. The living rooms and bedrooms have flat screens and all accommodations also have ipod docking, DVD and internet service. Concierge can arrange local flights, golf cart rentals, all tours including snorkeling, diving, fishing, sailing, mainland excursions, private charters, private chefs and babysitting. Contact us for your next vacation, honeymoon or any special occasion! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Priceline, Expedia, BookIt.com, Travelocity and Odigeo so you can book your Grand Caribe Belize Resort and Condominiums reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Caribe Belize Resort And Condominiums Hotel San Pedro
- Grand Caribe Belize Resort And Condominiums San Pedro