“Wonderful, Relaxing, Enjoiable and Fun week.”
other traveler has booked this property

Review of Casa Caracol

Downstairs Dining/Kitchen
Downstairs Bedroom 1
Downstairs Bedroom 2
Downstairs Bedroom 3
Downstairs Bathroom (1 of 2)
Upstairs Living
Upstairs Kitchen/Dining
Upstairs Kitchen
Upsairs Bedroom 1
Upstairs Bedroom 2
Upstairs Bathroom (1 of 2)
Upstairs Balcony
Downstairs Balcony
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
OkeeneALI...
Okeene
“Wonderful, Relaxing, Enjoiable and Fun week.”
Reviewed August 13, 2012 for a stay in July 2012
people found this review helpful

My husband and I along with our 2 grandsons rented the upstairs of Casa Caracol. Our stay was 6 night and 7 days.

Casa Caracol is located right on the beach with a beautiful view of the ocean and reef and in the morning you can see the beautiful sunrise.Casa Caracol is short walk from downtownand many actives shops and restaurants. Casa Caracol has a housekeeper name Dulle that comes and cleans and she will do your laundry too.

Phil the owner is a great host and lives directly behind the house and is avaliable when needed. He oriented us to the Island , answered any questions we had, arranged our trips cart rental and plane tickets to and from the Island and pickup and drop off at the airport in San Pedro. Phil arranged our trip of a day sailing to Shark-Ray Alley with EL GATO tours. It was a great day. Our tour guides GATO and PRIMO were great in answering any of our questions. I highly recommend going sailing with EL GATO tours.

With Phil taking care of all our, I had no worries and could really enjoy myself. THANKS Phil for being a GREAT host. We will see you again. I highly recommend Casa Caracol for your place to stay

This was our 2nd trip to San Pedro and staying at Casa Caracol. It just gets better with every trip. We will definitely stay at Casa Caracol again. It was a wonderful, relaxing, enjoiable and fun week.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: I like everything
Liked least: there was nothing that I didn't like
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Families with young children
Large groups People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
pacair
Corralitos, California
“Its the location that counts”
Reviewed April 28, 2012 for a stay in April 2012
person found this review helpful

I frequent this small island for two reasons.

1. The water is great, I spend my time diving and sailing. For this, Ambergris Caye is just wonderful.

2. For the people in the town. This village is charming and my family and friends can find interesting and safe things to do while I'm diving.

As with many other areas the prolonged economic slow down has hurt the locals causing the crime rates to go up. This is a concern for this area going forward.

I recently rented the upstairs at Casa Caracol. It's a large two bedroom house with a large deck facing the road and beach. With a private entrance, adequate kitchen and nice views it would be hard to not like this place.

We did have a number of minor maintenance issues which while not a large impact to our stay might be of concern to some. This is a house, it doesn't have the constant upkeep of a hotel or resort.

In the end however, it's all about the location and this is one of the nicest spots on the island. Some would call it walking distance from town (about 10 minutes or so), it is easily accessed by bike or golf cart. It's quiet enough for the peace many seek here and the privacy is that of a private residence.

The management for me was easy to deal with. I handled the entire transaction on line and in fact did not personally meet them until the day before I left. They were responsive to my e-mails.

My only concern going forward would be about the maintenance. I will go back

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Location
Liked least: Maintenance
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
rex2790
Salt Lake City, Utah
“So much fun”
Reviewed May 24, 2011 for a stay in May 2011
people found this review helpful

We had a group of seven that stayed at Casacaracol and none of us wanted to leave. Phil "the owner" was very helpful and arranged everything we wanted to do. This included booking all our diving trips, a trip to the main land to see the ruins and a rental golf cart. It was nice to have it all charged to our bill and not have to deal with charges until the end of the vacation. He even gave us advise on property. Thanks Phil. The house was perfect for our needs and in an excellent location. We could walk to about everything we wanted to see and do. We were even able to come back to the house between dives for lunch. The reaf and dive shop were so close. Thanks Patojo for making all the first time divers in our group feel comfortable. Now I can get them to come diving again. We all loved it. Stay at Casacaracol. Relax and enjoy.
Rex Harris

A romantic getaway Families with young children
Erik S
Hilo, Hawaii
“Absolutely Fantastic!”
Reviewed May 16, 2011 for a stay in May 2011
people found this review helpful

Seven of us decided to venture out to San Pedro for some diving, sun and relaxation and we found the Casa Caracol through VRBO.COM. At first, we were going to book seperate hotel rooms, but I am so glad we found this place.

It's a simple, yet beautiful house that sits right on the beach that slept all 7 of us comfortably. We had the bottom level which had a full kitchen, living area, 3 bedrooms all with air conditioning, and a safe for your valuables. Phil, as mentioned in previous reviews, is an outstanding host who will take care of your every need. He doesn't just take care of your stay at the house. He also will arrange trips, tours, dives, plane tickets to and from the island, provide you with all kinds of information about the island, and will also pick up you up and drop you off at the airport in San Pedro. You literally don't have to worry about arranging anything yourself. All we had to do is let him know what we wanted to do, and he arranged it immediately. At the end of our trip, he simply gave us the bill and we divided it accordingly and paid with our credit and debit cards, so there was no need to go get cash at the ATM.

As far as location, the Casa Caracol sits in a quiet residential area, but it's a short walk to town where you can find places to eat, shop, or have a drink or two. There is also a convenience store on the street behind the Casa Caracol, and a grocery store just a short stroll down the beach and to the right. We did all our dives with Patojo, who is an amazing and funny gentleman and we spent hours at the beach bar, both of which sit just a few steps from the house. It's also quite nice to go down Patojo's dock and take a dip in the water, or just watch the sunset. Just mind your feet underneath the dock, cause there are stingrays hiding in the shade. It's also nice to simply stroll around town looking at various shops, fruit stands and restaurants. If you want to cruise around the island, just let Phil know, and he will have golf carts delivered to the house. They will even pick them up from the house so there is no need to pick up and drop off at another location.

Overall, I was more than satisfied with our stay at the Casa Caracol. The location is great, the view is amazing, and the people are friendly. People have asked me if this is a safe place to take children. Let me tell you, it absolutely is a child friendly island. This is an island of families. There are children everywhere..so just be mindful if you are driving around in the golf cart. The diving is absolutely amazing, and there are great places to eat as well. We frequented Estel's which is way down the beach from the house, but highly recommended. Also try 'My Secret Deli' for excellent and cheap stewed pork or chicken. There are all kinds of beach vendors to buy things from..right off your porch if you choose to. They are not pushy like some of the places I've been. If you are not interested, just simply say 'no thanks' and they will be on their way. I will suggest you buy some fish from the seafood guy, absolutely fresh and delicious, and the bread lady who also has amazing cinnamon rolls.

Thanks again to Phil for being such a kind and friendly host. If anyone asks me about San Pedro and where to stay, I absolutely will point them in the direction of the Casa Caracol. I hope to back sooner than later.

A romantic getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Families with teenagers
Tourists Large groups
Curt D
Tacoma, Washington
“What a great deal!”
Reviewed March 17, 2011 for a stay in January 2011
people found this review helpful

We spent 3 weeks in January 2011 at Casa Caracol, the upper unit. Fabulous! We’d not hesitate to do it again and highly recommend Casa Caracol to our friends.

The house is incredible…right on the Caribbean! You wake up every morning with the blue waters right in front of you. The sunrises are great. Two blocks away is the best bakery around, the Casa Pan Dulce; we’d pick up breakfast pastries in the morning and then some chocolate cake in the evening. Down the street another block we found a gallon of fresh squeezed orange juice (the best OJ we’ve ever had) for $7.50 American. The house is located in the largely residential part of the island, so it’s nice and quiet. Yet it’s only a ten minute walk into San Pedro Town with its dining, bars, and other activities. On the way into town, we’d often stop for breakfast at the Playa Chel, or drinks at the Tides Hotel. Bottom line, Casa Caracol is the best value on Ambergris Caye.

Phil is a great host. He lives nearby, so he’s almost always available to answer your questions. He personally set us up with an archeologist to guide us on a tour the Mayan ruins on the mainland, all of our SCUBA, snorkeling, golf cart rentals, and fishing. And then at the end of the stay, we paid with one VISA transaction for all our activities.

By the way, we LOVED Belize!

Traveling group: With Spouse/Partner
Texas
“You Better "Belize" It”
Reviewed March 15, 2011 for a stay in March 2011
people found this review helpful

My husband & I rented Casa Caracol for a group of twelve, family & friends, to celebrate our 30th anniversary. The house is right on the beach with beautiful views of the ocean and reef. The house was well equipped, including beach towels, games, books and some snorkel gear. We actually never cooked, so I can't really elaborate on the kitchen, but we did make use of the blender :) The beach front in front of the home is also the street. We enjoyed sitting on the balcony in the mornings looking at the view and watching the local citizens go by on their way to school or work. It is definitely a barefoot location!! Downtown is a 5 minute walk up the street or down the beach. Everywhere we dined was wonderful..highly recommend Carrumba's. A lady comes by every afternoon selling homemade breads, very tasty. Phil & Marie live directly behind the home and are readily available. Phil even came right away at ten at night to fix a broken shower knob. He also booked our snorkel trip for us...which was one of the best we've ever been on. We had a wonderful, relaxing week at Casa Caracol!!!

A romantic getaway Families with young children
Large groups Rugged travelers
pdxken
Portland, Oregon
“Enjoyed Our Stay, Highly Recommended”
Reviewed March 9, 2011 for a stay in January 2011
people found this review helpful

My family and I rented the downstairs of Casa Caracol in January and had a wonderful time. When we were researching places to stay I had a hard time finding reliable reviews for this rental so I was a little nervous. The owner, Phil, addressed our concerns but I was very relieved when we arrived and found that the house served our needs really well.

The location of Casa Caracol is great. You're not right in the middle of town, so it's not as hectic and noisy, but after a 10-15 minute walk you'll find yourself already at the other end of the downtown area. The house is right on the beach, with a sand road the only thing that separates you from the water. It was wonderful to wake up and sit out on the porch every morning, watching the sunrise over the water and the local kids walking to school.

Casa Caracol is also located next to Pantojo's Scuba Center, which is a great convenience if you want to dive during your stay. My family made a number of dives with Pantojo and highly recommend him and his crew.

As soon as we arrived Phil oriented us to the island and gave us tips to make our stay more enjoyable. He was also available to arrange things such as tours, flights, and taxis, which freed us up from having to deal with those details. I wasn't expecting that so it was a nice touch.

We made and ate almost all of our meals at the house. We found the kitchen to be adequately stocked to prepare and cook these meals. The only suggestion is that it would have been nice to have better knives (we chopped a lot of fruits, vegetables, and fresh fish). Duly, the housekeeper, is very sweet and she made sure the house was clean and that we had fresh towels for both the bathroom and for the beach. She also did several loads of laundry for us, which was well worth the additional charge.

I would definitely stay at Casa Caracol again if I ever have the chance to return to Ambergris. The only complaint by my family is that the couches in the living room are getting worn and not very comfortable. Phil had informed us before we arrived that he is planning on replacing those soon. Since you have an amazing view from the lounge chairs on the porch we rarely sat inside so it wasn't much of an issue.

Young singles Friends getaway
A romantic getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Families with young children
Large groups
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing