“Beautiful, quiet, and exceptional personal service”

and 1 more site!
Athens Gate Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed April 10, 2011

We stayed in Unit 1, first floor, directly on the beach for 1 week in March. Working with Lori and Pellcan/Athens Gate (they are sister resorts both owned by the man who built them, Mr. Joe) was a pleasure. Her answers were prompt, helpful, and honest. She's takes great care of you.

We rented the 3-brdrm because we wanted to be on the beach. It was delightful. Athens Gate has only about a dozen units and not many of them rent out. The week we were there, near high season, there was only Joe, who lives in one of the units, and one other couple. VERY quiet. And Elizar (whom you will read about in many reviews) is exceptional. Friendly, knowledgeable, and willing to help in any way.

Weather was great in upper 80s, sunny every day, humid, and with quite a breeze. Bugs were almost nonexistent. The condo's a/c (very quiet, almost inaudible) was great at night, but during the day we mostly used the ceiling fans.

The beach was effectively our own private beach. On the 3 days that we spent serious time on the beach, we probably saw less than a dozen people a day walk by and we were the only ones sitting on the 8 beach chairs (with umbrellas) that are available.

Our only complaint was low lighting in our particular condo and no table lamps, and Elizar helped us out by replacing a few bulbs and providing two table lamps.

We rented a gas-powered golf kart (a must) (arranged by Lori) and enjoyed our daily trips to town or the supermarket. Hidden Treasures, Wild Mango, Blue Water Grill, and Victoria House were all lovely meals; avoid Ricos. And to get to the Hol Chan reef for snorkeling.

Room Tip: Rely on Lori -she will give you the straight stuff
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank elliottq

Reviewed April 6, 2011

Stayed at Athen's Gate for 2 weeks in March, 2011 in a 2 bed/2 bath condo. These units are large and comfortable. The central air makes them great to come home to on those hot humid days. The decks are large and all have wonderful views. The location of Athen's Gate is in my view perfect. Away from the hustle & bustle of San Pedro but only a 10 minute ride by golf cart (renting a golf cart is worth every penny). You can wander down the beach to Pelican Reef for breakfast or lunch if you don't want to prepare your own meal. Many restaurants to choose from in town. I would recommend Hidden Treasures or Blue Water Grill as my top choices.

The owner Mr. Joe and wife live on site and make you feel very welcome. "E" runs the bar and is the "go to guy". He is so very helpful and is a fountain of information about what to see and do. If you wish he will arrange your tours for you with reputable agencies that have a proven track record. I strongly recommend that you do so as there are too many agencies to chose from.

During our stay in San Pedro we did visit the other resorts and not once did I see one that I would prefer over Athen's Gate. I recommend it without hesitation.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank yukoncanada
Reviewed March 21, 2011

I just returned from a week stay at Athens Gate. I could not have asked for a more beautiful place to stay on the entire island. Room #1 has a view that is pretty hard to beat. Everything at Athens Gate is easy ... all with the help of Eliazar (better knows as "E"). E handled everything for us, from dinner reservations, great pizza delivery, to a wonderful all day adventure. He also makes a mean mojito! One of the most relaxing environments I've experienced in a long time - low key and lovely. An added bonus is being able to use the facilities at their sister resort (almost next door) where a lovely lunch is served poolside. Thanks also to Laurie, Greg and Joe for flawless travel arrangements. We will be back!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank HlyGoLgtly
Reviewed February 11, 2011

We stayed in the jungle but went on to Ambergris Caye where we had a wonderful time snorkeling and fishing. This small and elegant place topped off our vacation. Belize had so much to see and do. We went cavetubing, to the ruins and on the jungle zipline with Belize Jungle Trek , also a great company to go with... All in all, we had a blast. Our stay in Belize was one to remember and we will return to Belize pretty soon. Thanks guys, for making our vacation a great one.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed January 26, 2011

We stayed at AThens Gate over the New Year holiday and had a great time. Cesar is the best - he was incredibly patient with our large high maintenance group. The property is still new and on a great location. A wonderful week!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MargaretLil
Reviewed December 28, 2010

I am a seasoned Traveler. I have been to 11 Countries in the Caribbean and Central America the past 2 years. This is my third time to Belize.
I have spent 2 weeks in San Pedro in the last year. I have stayed both North and South of San Pedro Town.

Athens Gate is approximately 3 miles South of San Pedro Town. It is a short 15 minute ride via Golf Cart by the use the combination of graded and Cobblestone roads or Taxi Service is available for US $20 Round Trip.

The Property is Brand new and we were the first Guests to stay in our 1850 Square foot 2 Bedroom Unit.

This is their second Property built and the owner, Mr. Joe, has improved his Contractor skills from his first complex, the very popular Pelican Reef located a short walk South.

This property is kept pristine by the very accommodating Cesar. He serves you drinks at the pool side bar or will advise you where to shop for provisions, arrange tours or whatever needs you require. This can help make the most of your visit.

The kitchen has everything you have at Home and the appliances are the latest stainless products. It has a very modern open floor plan with tray ceilings, ceiling fans and central heat and air. We cooked Red Snapper or Lobster every night. Cesar will tell you to visit Mariana Grocery or meet the boats early in the morning to buy very fresh seafood at very reasonable prices. This will save you a great deal of money by their of Ambergris Caye.

The furnishings are nothing but First Class. The view from our Large balcony was overlooking the pool with an unobstructed view of the coral reef. We never missed a sunrise or sunset.

We also appreciated returning Home with clean clothes using our unit's Washer and Dryer.

These properties are Family owned with Mr Joe and his Wife living on site. His Daughter, Lori and her Husband Greg, reside and run Pelican Reef.
This is a real Bonus, because you may use the facilities at both. If you are a snorkeler like us, Pelican Reef has an artificial Reef at the end of their dock.

We opted snorkeling by trips arranged by Cesar.He will carry your gear out to the dock to meet the tour boats. Kayaks and bicycles are provided at no charge for the adventurous.

I look forward to returning and don't hesitate to E-mail me with any questions.

Richard E. Taylor

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank WB9DQU
Reviewed August 15, 2010

I have recently traveled to Belize and my two teenage daughters, friends and I stayed at the Athens Gate Resort. CESAR was an absolute GEM! Mr. Joe made us feel welcome. Lou, Eleazar, Deon, the entire staff at the Athens Gate were very personable and made us feel at home. I would definitely recommend this resort. The resort is at a small distance from town (15 minutes). The rooms are very spacious - Great accommodation! My family and I went on a fishing/snorkeling trip with Oliver--another GEM in the island. Oliver was very patient with our group in teaching us the proper techniques to snorkel. Wonderful instructor and fisherman! I would definitely stay there again on my next trip to Belize. The service was OUTSTANDING at Athens Gate Resort!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family