“Dog bite didn't spoil our meal”

Estel's Dine by the Sea
Ranked #26 of 210 Restaurants in San Pedro
Cuisines: Central American
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Reviewed March 11, 2011

We ate at Estel's 3 times during our recent stay on Ambergris. The fish tacos and shrimp tacos are wonderful and the breakfast combinations are delicious and a good value. The wait staff is friendly and helpful. The porch setting is relaxing with a view of the water and the colorful characters that work the beach. We had live music with our lunch several times. One caution, my daughter was bitten in the leg by the owner's dog on our first visit. He was disinterested at best and offered no help or apology. Our waiter summoned Estel who gave us first aid items and reassured us that the other folks who were bitten by this mutt survived without complications and that the dog's shots were up to date. Despite this, we returned on subsequent days because the food was so darn good. So, in summary, step lively on your way into the restaurant to check out the menu blackboard giving the owner's table a wide berth. Bring a hearty appetite and some band-aids to Estel's.

1  Thank esparelhoff
Write a ReviewReviews (1,803)

Reviewed March 6, 2011

We enjoyed breakfast twice at Estel's while we were in San Pedro and I wish we had gone more! I had the Fry Jacks both times (I'd say they're a cross between a beignet and a sopapilla and they come with butter and honey), the second time with the Strawberry and blueberry filling - they were delicious!! My husband and friends loved their food too, especially the breakfast burrito and french toast. My coffee was better than I expected, but it was the atmosphere that really made the experience. Sitting outside with the sea breeze enjoying a relaxing meal is a great way to start the day! I didn't want to leave most mornings!

One thing about San Pedro that can seem unusual is the dogs wandering around and even in and out of the open air restaurants. I'm a dog lover, but I wouldn't have been comfortable with this back in the states, but here it didn't bother us one bit - just felt like part of the experience. The dogs weren't bothersome or in our space, never begged or whined, just wandered through. During one breakfast one just took a snooze by my feet, I felt like it was my own dog at home. It may seem strange at first, but soon you won't notice it. The dogs have the same laid back attitude as everyone else on the island!

Reviewed February 23, 2011

Had a wonderful breakfast and a fabulous bloody mary. Must go for breakfast!!

1  Thank renodecor8r
Reviewed February 22, 2011

Scratch made corn-beef hash, enormous/delicious burrito, fry-jacks GET THEM ALL!

Estel is the best, her sons rock and the rest of the family and staff are just as awesome! Great, great GREAT location, scratch made food and the bloody Mary should have pilgrims coming to this place to cure their ills.

Loved it so much I bought a tshirt, which I wear all the time.
Love!This!Place!

Reviewed February 21, 2011

During our 9 days on Ambergris Caye, we had breakfast at Estel's three times. We enjoyed their omelettes, huevos rancheros, french toast and fry jacks with fruit. The fresh watermelon juice was excellent. You can sit on an outdoor patio or right on the sand below. The views are fantastic as is the fresh breeze. Highly recommended for a fantastic outdoor breakfast.